Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay As You Go Bill (bord gais) SERIOUS WARNING

• 11-02-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I had a rather unpleasant experience today. I got some very bad tenants out of one of my properties a few days back. I never checked the meters as the bills are all PAYG ... big mistake.
    It seems bord Gais PAYG is actually not PAYG ! They allow tenants to build up a bill and the tenant can pay a little bit off.
    I found this out the hard way as I put €25 on the card and when I put the card in it read zero. I then saw something about €90 arears on the screen.
    On calling Bord Gais I found them to be arrogant and obnoxious.
    My only option is to get the deliquent tenants to pay what they owe (not going to happen) or I can get a solicitors letter or provide Bord Gais with a copy of the deeds of my house (I kid you not)
    It seems as landlord my name has been lost from the records and they have the previous owners details and the new tenants details but not mine.
    I thought Pay as you go was just that and it was a form of safety. Well obviously not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

thats not a delinquancy on the tenant (you can do that for 5 euro emergency credit max) , its the standing charge building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

thats not a delinquancy on the tenant (you can do that for 5 euro emergency credit max) , its the standing charge building up.

Bord Gais say otherwise. How has the €100+ been amounted? They only moved out last week. Bord Gais tell me there are several ways the tenant can build up a debt. They wont discuss it with me as my name is not on the meter anymore.
    I am the owner of the property and they will not accept LPT as a proof of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Visconti wrote: »
    Bord Gais say otherwise. How has the €100+ been amounted? They only moved out last week. Bord Gais tell me there are several ways the tenant can build up a debt. They wont discuss it with me as my name is not on the meter anymore.
    I am the owner of the property and they will not accept LPT as a proof of ownership.

Was it students / HAP , possible they havent used it in months, please let me know how you can rack a 90 quid debt on a prepay meter, I have one in my current rental and ill test it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's almost certain they haven't been using the gas for months and it is just standing charge. It was a relatively mild winter until a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If you give them proof of ownership do they cancel the outstanding amount and follow up the tenants?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

what's a "Standing charge" ?

we have PAYG and the max we can go into arrears is €10

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    what's a "Standing charge" ?

we have PAYG and the max we can go into arrears is €10

An amount is deducted every day whether gas is used or not, this continues beyond the arrears limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

L1011 wrote: »
    An amount is deducted every day whether gas is used or not, this continues beyond the arrears level

any idea how much it is?

I had no idea of that

Depends on your exact price plan. 27c/day on the standard Bord Gais plans.

Some prepay electricity suppliers have painfully high standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Ok its looking like a standing charge that they have racked up. In my decency I fitted a backup electric heating system in main areas for if the gas was out of credit. Was over €100. If I produce proof of ownership they will wipe the charge, im not sure about the €25 that the meter eat up. Live and learn I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, my goodness and a cheap lesson it was. A delinquent tenant can rack up thousands on utilities if they are in their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, my goodness and a cheap lesson it was. A delinquent tenant can rack up thousands on utilities if they are in their name.

surely you just take a reading and get a new account in your name or new tenant’s name with that reading. I had prepay power and even though it was prepay I still had to put it in my name in order to use the account

Advertisement