Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

• 24-02-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Just got a phone call on my home phone from an Indian sounding guy climimng to be from "Online pc Doctor":eek:

He said he's ringing all windows xp and vista customers with regards to a system crash and told me to turn on my pc while he checks it for me!!!

I told him I'm on windows 7 and he said its all windows systems and they are certified to carry out this work by Microsoft!!!!

There was a delay on the phoneline so I presume he was calling from abroad.
    He seemed genuinely shocked when I told him I'm not interested in him helping me and I wouldn't turn my pc on.

How weird is that whole phone call?
    Anyone else get one or hear about one of these calls before?

I also got a cold call from Eircom 15 minutes before hand, I must be on some poxy list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

They offer to "fix" your PC, get you to grant them remote access to it, and charge €90 for the privilege. And another €200 or so if you sign up to their "long-term" deal.
    To be avoided at all costs. Handing over credit card details and full control of your PC to a cold caller isn't the brightest thing to do, but obviously there are enough people out there to make it worthwhile for these guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

your not the first nor the will be the last unfortunatly. So many people fall for this. They will remote access your pc and then retrieve passwords etc via a keylogger and such.

Also cc details over phone. Just tell them to send you a bank draft and you'll return the money via western union while your at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

RT66 wrote: »
    They offer to "fix" your PC, get you to grant them remote access to it, and charge €90 for the privilege. And another €200 or so if you sign up to their "long-term" deal.
    To be avoided at all costs. Handing over credit card details and full control of your PC to a cold caller isn't the brightest thing to do, but obviously there are enough people out there to make it worthwhile for these guys.

They offer to fix something that isn't broken?

JustinOval wrote: »
    They offer to fix something that isn't broken?

Yes. The last one I heard about they pitched virus statistics, patching and defragging until the victim was worried enough to get the credit card out.
    You know, scaring people into buying something. No reputable major telecommunications company would ever use tactics like that in radio ads, but these individuals have no scruples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Yes. The last one I heard about they pitched virus statistics, patching and defragging until the victim was worried enough to get the credit card out.
    You know, scaring people into buying something. No reputable major telecommunications company would ever use tactics like that in radio ads, but these individuals have no scruples :D

Do you mean I could have a virus????? Should I call them back;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

The sad part is that it really does work on some people :( I've heard from people talking about the lad who "helped them with their Windows" on the phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 homehelptech

I work in consumer IT support and just had a call from a customer saying Online PC Doctor cold called him last week, telling him he had a virus when there was no way they could possibly know. These guys seem to be operating worldwide. Website looks professional and uses local phone numbers.
    There are details of the same scam operating in Australia http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1362347.html

Buyer beware I guess, but it brings the rest of us IT support people into disrepute ...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

jarvis wrote: »
    Do you mean I could have a virus????? Should I call them back;)

I just had a call from them, the guy said its not a virus its an infection like malwares or trojans and thats why anti-virus software wont find it :lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Qs wrote: »
    I just had a call from them, the guy said its not a virus its an infection like malwares or trojans and thats why anti-virus software wont find it :lol:

Whatever quote they give you, I'll clean it up for half their price.
    Wonder if I'll get much business undercutting them!!! Hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

scary stuff! they must be making some money if they can pay for all the long-distance calls. come back clippy all is forgiven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Just got this call now, so they're still going at it with Dublin phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Everyone who's ever had real IT support knows these guys are a scam.

Here, I'll give you some REAL IT support:
    • Have you checked if it's plugged in?
    • Are you SUUUUUUUURE??
    :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

scary stuff! they must be making some money if they can pay for all the long-distance calls. come back clippy all is forgiven!

I don't know about you but I can ring any landline in the world for free with my broadband package.

Has anyone who doesn't have a computer been called by these cowboys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

» — Merv

If you ask me to define your service in one word, I would simply say WOW. Thanks Doctors you made my day. The worms in my computer were destroying my files…but you destroyed them. Keep up the good work”

»– George

I have no idea what I would do without Online PC Doctors. You have returned my investment 10 times over. You are phenomenal.

» - Simon

I feel Online PC Doctors is the best place to get computer help with both simple and complex issues. I appreciate the prompt service to resolve my computer problems.

» - Adam

Brad is extremely good at his profession and we appreciate him. Glad we found you. Thanks a bunch!

» - Sean & Stephanie

Your people worked effeciently and promptly to rectify the function of my computer, Romi and Carol were clear and very helpful, answering all my questions and took the time to explain to me the items which i did not immediatly understand. Very professional,polite and a credit to your organisation.

Thanks, Regards, Kirk Trease

But just read some of those testimonials!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Everyone who's ever had real IT support knows these guys are a scam.

Here, I'll give you some REAL IT support:
    • Have you checked if it's plugged in?
    • Are you SUUUUUUUURE??
    :pac:

Meh

Open Google. Type in "Whatever the error code was", follow the steps in the first link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Do people actually fall for this? how?

I better double check with the mother and the other half, make sure they never get caught out, think they might play on someones politeness.
    Far as I'm concerned, I might hold them on the line for a while while I abuse them.
    If I didn't give you my number then I don't want to know, same goes for the front door, didn't invite you to try and sell me stuff, if I need or want it, I will go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublenguy

I got a call from them last week. They knew my name and told me I may have issues with my PC. Usually I would just say no thanks but started quizzing the girl as she had my name, she had an indian accent and it was PC doctors.

She did not like being questioned and when I asked her a second time if she was trying to sell me something she hung up.

I've put a direct marketing block on my phone now but don't know if it will stop these guys. It's people who are not that PC savvy that will get caught by this scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I work in consumer IT support and just had a call from a customer saying Online PC Doctor cold called him last week, telling him he had a virus when there was no way they could possibly know. These guys seem to be operating worldwide. Website looks professional and uses local phone numbers.
    There are details of the same scam operating in Australia http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1362347.html

Buyer beware I guess, but it brings the rest of us IT support people into disrepute ...

Hardly.... No more than Princes around the world are brought into disrepute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

A friend of mine ( and i mean a friend not me!!!) signed up to this, cost him 40 squids, as he said that some programs kept crashing on his computer. They've got his money, he let them have control of his computer, is it likely that they can take data from his PC or do you think they are just looking for the money?? is there any way he can remove them from his computer?? it only happened today, what are the chances of something going wrong?

BTW he's more or less completely computer illiterate . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

i wonder what would happen if i told them i used linux :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could have fun for a few minutes acting confused before you told them. "Start button, where's that. Nah can't see it mate. Is it like the Any Key ? " etc.

A friend of mine ( and i mean a friend not me!!!) signed up to this, cost him 40 squids, as he said that some programs kept crashing on his computer. They've got his money, he let them have control of his computer, is it likely that they can take data from his PC or do you think they are just looking for the money?? is there any way he can remove them from his computer?? it only happened today, what are the chances of something going wrong?

They now own everything he has on the computer. They can watch everything he does if they choose. They can take any files they choose. They can run any applications they like. Most likely use is in a botnet.
    The computer needs to be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.
    I'm assuming they also have his credit card details? I'd be canceling that card..

Cancel card, disconnect computer from internet. Unplug modem. Remove any applications they have installed and run scans.

Seeing as he doesn't know what to do, tell him to cancel credit card, unplug modem, bring to someone who knows what they are doing/ repair shop explain the phone call and stupidity of friend, they should know the situation by know and remove all traces. If he has no data of any value a format and re-install of OS would be the best but a longer method. Only to be used if he doesn't care about the data being lost.

If someone with comp know-how looks at it, they would be able to identify which apps are needed for the os and start from there removing all other files.

thanks for that i'll pass on the advice. I think his credit card details are safe as he paid through paypal, who don't give away details . . ., but yeah i'll pass on all that.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Meh

Open Google. Type in "Whatever the error code was", follow the steps in the first link.

Shusshhhhhhhh.... They'll stop paying us if they figure out that's what we do!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

I would seriously recommend that your friend performs a full reformat of his hard disk and reinstalls a clean copy of his operating system. It mightn't be enough to remove the applications and files, the guys that did this might have installed rootkits or hidden applications that cannot be deleted easily by the user or a malware scanner.

It is important that this be done, i'm sure your friend doesn't want to have all his passwords recorded by a keylogger and his computer used in a botnet attack. They could even use his computer to store illegal files.

At the very least his computer will perform poorly and his internet usage allowance will be used up.

You say your friend is computer illiterate, fair enough but it is important that he gets someone with IT knowledge to do this. It's not a big job for someone that knows what they are doing.

thanks for that i'll pass on the advice. I think his credit card details are safe as he paid through paypal, who don't give away details . . ., but yeah i'll pass on all that.

Thanks!

But if he doesn't get it sorted and logs into paypal, they have his account for paypal and can use it.

Reformat and tell him if he's not cancelling the cc to monitor it for any activity. He can sign up to online banking and check it once a day. Only sign up after cleaning his computer of course!

Passed all that on, thanks again for your help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sarah_mol

Ive been getting calls from 001215, but when I pick up the line goes dead after a few seconds. Could it be the same crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Any way of knowing if someone has hacked into your computer? Like are there any tell tale signs other than your bank account been empty? Never got a phone call but I am in China and am a bit weary using wireless etc to check accounts!! Dont really want to reload mo o/s system wondering is there someway of knowing?

Advertisement