Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

When things get busy on the farm in the spring and there is a national crisis in the news, the phones start ringing with offers of help and strangers turn up in F and F trying to stir up trouble.
    Last year it was right to roam during the fodder crisis, this year it's burgers for brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

When things get busy on the farm in the spring and there is a national crisis in the news, the phones start ringing with offers of help and strangers turn up in F and F trying to stir up trouble.
    Last year it was right to roam during the fodder crisis, this year it's burgers for brexit.

your right, little agitators I suppose.
    the internet can be a very strange place. it's gives a voice to every clonkbox that can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wife’s 15 Kuga vandalised in NI last night parked street side in a “quiet town”. A town flying loads of union jacks, never a welcoming sight.

Anyone who thinks troubles are anything but “boiling just beneath the facade of peace” is a fool. Brexit and the border are likely to bring more and more trouble out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

_Brian wrote: »
    Wife’s 15 Kuga vandalised in NI last night parked street side in a “quiet town”. A town flying loads of union jacks, never a welcoming sight.

Anyone who thinks troubles are anything but “boiling just beneath the facade of peace” is a fool. Brexit and the border are likely to bring more and more trouble out.

Sorry to hear that.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was it due to the southern plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oh sometimes has trouble up there when delivering stuff, 95% of the people are sound. Hope there wasn't too much damage

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    your right, little agitators I suppose.
    the internet can be a very strange place. it's gives a voice to every clonkbox that can use it.

Isn't it better to get stuff off your chest on an anonymous forum than bottling it up

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was it due to the southern plates

Yea.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oh sometimes has trouble up there when delivering stuff, 95% of the people are sound. Hope there wasn't too much damage

Wing mirrors
    Be able to get some and repair myself during the week.

Just a load of bother and have to stay another night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Sorry to hear that-
    A few years ago, My sister had to go to Belfast around the 12th of July for work. Told the employers to either rent her a car with NI reg, book her into hotel with underground carpark or send her by train and pay her taxis. I think the chose the last one.

Can’t take chances.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that-
    A few years ago, My sister had to go to Belfast around the 12th of July for work. Told the employers to either rent her a car with NI reg, book her into hotel with underground carpark or send her by train and pay her taxis. I think the chose the last one.

Can’t take chances.

We’re up most weekends, this is the first time it happened us.
    Two years ago friend was staying on a campsite and all caravans with southern reg targeted one night and water pumps stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have relations who their family are living in some of these areas.
    They have to phone ahead if they are going up with their 'southern' registered car. The word and reg number is sent around before they go up otherwise they were told it could be targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Wing mirrors
    Be able to get some and repair myself during the week.

Just a load of bother and have to stay another night.

Sorry to hear the Brian. I got a wing mirror for my car off micksgarage and it was 100€cheaper then anywhere else although you prob know about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭einn32

Stayed in Derry during the summer last year. Parked up the jeep and brought the gear into the B and B. The owner goes it's best to move your car in to the public car park. Southern reg attracts trouble. Better chance of being left alone in the car park. It's unbelievable really.

We were passing through a small town in NI with the caravan last summer, stopped at lights and a guy walks across to talk in the window to me.

He said he hoped we weren’t staying locally as we’d be a target with the southern plates, best to keep going to somewhere else. I wasn’t sure if it was advice or a warning, just said thanks and wished The ****ing lights changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We were passing through a small town in NI with the caravan last summer, stopped at lights and a guy walks across to talk in the window to me.

He said he hoped we weren’t staying locally as we’d be a target with the southern plates, best to keep going to somewhere else. I wasn’t sure if it was advice or a warning, just said thanks and wished The ****ing lights changed.

They probably think ye were travellers or worse ....from cavan:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Coming off the M1 a few years ago, heading for Armagh, got into the wrong lane for our run off on the outskirts of Portadown.
    No problem, thinks I, I'll just swing in here and double back.
    Into a housing estate.
    No joke, in the time it took to find a turnaround, people were coming out of the houses to have a look at us.
    Didn't stop for the chat .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Coming off the M1 a few years ago, heading for Armagh, got into the wrong lane for our run off on the outskirts of Portadown.
    No problem, thinks I, I'll just swing in here and double back.
    Into a housing estate.
    No joke, in the time it took to find a turnaround, people were coming out of the houses to have a look at us.
    Didn't stop for the chat .....

Same thing happened to me in Cork city a few years ago, glad to get out of there alive:o.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

einn32 wrote: »
    Stayed in Derry during the summer last year. Parked up the jeep and brought the gear into the B and B. The owner goes it's best to move your car in to the public car park. Southern reg attracts trouble. Better chance of being left alone in the car park. It's unbelievable really.

I really thought that kind of crap had stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

it sounds like different world up there, but it can happen anywhere I suppose. I bought a brand new vectra back in the noughties. the car was about 6 months old and I had to park it in cork city. the multi stories were all full but I got a spot on the street opposite the bridewell garde station. I had 2 Kerry flags on the car.
    arrived back to find boot prints all over the bonnet and the windscreen smashed.
    went straight into the station to report it and get them to check the cctv. oh your in a blind spot they told me.
    got it fixed that day and had 4 flags on it the following morning. learned my lesson that day tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Bus company down here running coaches for all sorts of events. Took a coach full of people up north of the border for some event a few yrs back. On the way home bus was attacked with stones and other objects. Obviously loyalists they took offence to the company's address on the side of the bus - Killbrittain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    it sounds like different world up there, but it can happen anywhere I suppose. I bought a brand new vectra back in the noughties. the car was about 6 months old and I had to park it in cork city. the multi stories were all full but I got a spot on the street opposite the bridewell garde station. I had 2 Kerry flags on the car.
    arrived back to find boot prints all over the bonnet and the windscreen smashed.
    went straight into the station to report it and get them to check the cctv. oh your in a blind spot they told me.
    got it fixed that day and had 4 flags on it the following morning. learned my lesson that day tho.
    When the kids were young, herself and her sister took them to Cork to meet a friend of theirs who had moved there a few years before. She parked in a multistory and went off and had a bite to eat and a bit of shopping and went back to the car.

There were 3 or 4 teenage girls sitting around the pay station and, when they heard the Kerry accents, the abuse started, calling them all the names under the sun, following them as far as the car. The two said nothing, just ignored them as best they could and packed into the car and out as fast as possible. She got an awful shock and flat refuses to go to Cork for any reason at all now if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was in Dublin the time the love Ulster parade was supposed to take place. Friends sister was getting a bus back up from Clare but the buses couldnt get in as things were kicking off so we went in to meet her, an English reg car was crossing a bridge, most likely a car bought by someone down here to save a few euro, a bunch of lads started attacking as it was stopped in traffic throwing whatever they had pulling stones out of their pockets and kicking it. Driver spotted a gap in the wrong direction lane and took off, theybwould have destroyed it. Guards on foot came on the lads and Took off running after the boys, one guard was lightning and managed to catch two of em, who took a fair hopper hitting the ground.
    There was no more protest involved there pure scumbags only shop fronts destroyed and going around with cans of petrol, fcuking saw a bunch of push bikes that were set alight. Dopes wouldn't have likely pointed out the six counties on a map, nor any other county for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was in Dublin the time the love Ulster parade was supposed to take place. Friends sister was getting a bus back up from Clare but the buses couldnt get in as things were kicking off so we went in to meet her, an English reg car was crossing a bridge, most likely a car bought by someone down here to save a few euro, a bunch of lads started attacking as it was stopped in traffic throwing whatever they had pulling stones out of their pockets and kicking it. Driver spotted a gap in the wrong direction lane and took off, theybwould have destroyed it. Guards on foot came on the lads and Took off running after the boys, one guard was lightning and managed to catch two of em, who took a fair hopper hitting the ground.
    There was no more protest involved there pure scumbags only shop fronts destroyed and going around with cans of petrol, fcuking saw a bunch of push bikes that were set alight. Dopes wouldn't have likely pointed out the six counties on a map, nor any other county for that matter

So called republicans wrecking their own city and fighting with their own police force while the northerners were having the last laugh on the buses heading back home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was in town that day, I remember standing at a bus stop wondering where my fckin bus was, looked down towards O'Connell st and saw a pillar of smoke and then I remembered about the march

The angelus was on there now, youngest lad is ten asked what's that ad for? If my mother heard that she'd go mad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ganmo wrote: »
    I was in town that day, I remember standing at a bus stop wondering where my fckin bus was, looked down towards O'Connell st and saw a pillar of smoke and then I remembered about the march

We used to do the Dublin Belfast maracycle, in Belfast a group of us decided to meet for a meal in the evening, myself and OH were first at the meeting point, 5 or six gurriers copped the southern accent and started mouthing off and winding it up, there was a crowd gathering and the lads were playing to the crowd, what they didn't realise was of course as we were meeting there, the crowd was all southerners, about 40 of us, so they got a quick send off.
    What amused the guys with us was that while the gurriers were calling us papists etc, we weren't that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    The angelus was on there now, youngest lad is ten asked what's that ad for? If my mother heard that she'd go mad

I used to live with a guy from England and one from Zimbabwe- I walked in on an in-depth conversation about how Irish adverts are just weird particularly the one that just goes bong bong bong and were they selling Bells or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement