Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of moving bales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

Just on the back of drawing 450 bales the last 2 days. I don't believe a keltec would have been any faster, the drawn bales still need to be stacked. They do probably come into there own drawing green ones to a wrapper/ stacker on a loader but ur then talking 3 machines and tractors. Staff seem to be my problem definately cant let any joe soab away drawing bales. A such a high cost il be sticking to my trailor for now snyway😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Second bale just made.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Second bale just made.

Jaysus that first one took a while

Second bale just made.

61 bales stacked. Off 6 paddocks.

61 bales stacked. Off 6 paddocks.

Keltec gone within 10 minutes of the baler leaving. 4 men involved in total incl myself and the lad rowing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Hope this doesn't happen ye dsw. Be some job to lift it back up

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Sweet jebus , a digger wouldn't lift that drawbar :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

What the hell happened there? It looks like the JD was under so much pressure the pin cracked and she just shot out from under it!

What the hell happened there? It looks like the JD was under so much pressure the pin cracked and she just shot out from under it!

Looks to be 36 bales on it at 700 kg each she's under sone pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

An idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Looks to be 36 bales on it at 700 kg each she's under sone pressure.

36 alright by the looks never mind 700 if they are mchale bales it's closer to 850kg each. That's about 29 ton of silage plus weight of trailer so probably about 35 on the hitch.

Also looks like he has to pull up on to the road too, if it were my silage there would be a few f#ck$ Given out.

Will have to take off most of the bales to be able get under it.

Is it just me or is the back axle missing off that tractor

Edit. ..see it now

O not nice at al at al. To be fair tho there well stacked nice lookin bale to.

Do u own the keltec. We're the bales wrapped in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

There's an awful empty look under the rear mudguard - it looks like the tyre was torn off the rim! I wonder if the trailer is bogged in the gap and they tried to pull hard at an angle and peeled the tyre off the rim?

There's an awful empty look under the rear mudguard - it looks like the tyre was torn off the rim! I wonder if the trailer is bogged in the gap and they tried to pull hard at an angle and peeled the tyre off the rim?

That's what I was thinking earlier when I mentioned the back axle as something didn't look right

Do u own the keltec. We're the bales wrapped in the field.

No and yes. We were all trained in on the inline wrappers ten years ago. Haven't seen bales moved unwrapped since the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

That or there was a slight raise out of the field and driver tried to pull too hard. however trailer was technically over loaded. At best estimate there are four supersize at back. i doubt it more than likely two doubles trying to carry 28.5 ton( 36X630kgs bales and trailer weight of 5000kgs) and that is being optimistic. Isuspect load was north of 30K.

As I posted earlier idiot, not sure was it the drivers fault or as I suspect a contractor with a 17 or 18 year old on it. Heard a story this week about a young tractor jockey going traying silage at 60 euro/day. Who wrong the young kad the idiot of parents or the bollix of a contractor???????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Drawing silage is a damn sight easier work than working on housekeeping in a hotel for eg.

Ooops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Ooops

That yours gg?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Ooops

Haha brilliant, happened at our place years ago. Young lad dropped bale on a hill and straight down into ditch into field far side. Lucky he didn't drop it road side or could have been nasty.

Not easy for contractors to get fellas with more than 2 brain cells.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Haha brilliant, happened at our place years ago. Young lad dropped bale on a hill and straight down into ditch into field far side. Lucky he didn't drop it road side or could have been nasty.

Same happened in the uncles only it went straight through the fence into the neighbours field

Milked out wrote: »
    That yours gg?

Nope found in on Facebook.
    Dad was telling me before he was baling on side of a bank. He was leaving bales in the baler and letting them off at the bottom.

There was a holiday resort about half a mile away under this hill.
    any way one bale he had let off over 40 min before started to roll and it went through fields zmd across roads and ended up in the swimming pool in the resort lol.

Another time he let off a bale on what you would call s flat fiekd in wicklow and it went out across the ditch and landed on the bonnet of a car.

Be war if these things happened now. The 80s and 90s were simpler times

Nope found in on Facebook.
    Dad was telling me before he was baling on side of a bank. He was leaving bales in the baler and letting them off at the bottom.

There was a holiday resort about half a mile away under this hill.
    any way one bale he had let off over 40 min before started to roll and it went through fields zmd across roads and ended up in the swimming pool in the resort lol.

Another time he let off a bale on what you would call s flat fiekd in wicklow and it went out across the ditch and landed on the bonnet of a car.

Be war if these things happened now. The 89s and 90s were simpler times
    It probably just bounced off a car of the 90s where it would write off a car today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

We done a bit for hire back in the 90s was on a farm in a fairly big field and it was getting dark lights on the wrapping tractor were not hectic so when I was finished baling asked the farmers son to make sure we got all the bales. Spoke to the father the next morning when I was filling out the diary he said that he had wrapped 187 bales on the farm I said the baler counter said 201 bales. That evening the farmer rang to say the young lad had drew in a heap of the bales unwrapped:D:D:D

dzer2 wrote: »
    We done a bit for hire back in the 90s was on a farm in a fairly big field and it was getting dark lights on the wrapping tractor were not hectic so when I was finished baling asked the farmers son to make sure we got all the bales. Spoke to the father the next morning when I was filling out the diary he said that he had wrapped 187 bales on the farm I said the baler counter said 201 bales. That evening the farmer rang to say the young lad had drew in a heap of the bales unwrapped:D:D:D

Ya had to pay another visit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

AP2014 wrote: »

If your on a right steep hill it's hard enough to let them off without it rolling some way or another. I often let one off across the hill only to watch it turn under its own weight and head off down the hill. Seen the bossman to let a bale out of the baler one day that went through a wall onto a road and over the wall on the other side aswell. Lucky there wasn't a car coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If your on a right steep hill it's hard enough to let them off without it rolling some way or another. I often let one off across the hill only to watch it turn under its own weight and head off down the hill. Seen the bossman to let a bale out of the baler one day that went through a wall onto a road and over the wall on the other side aswell. Lucky there wasn't a car coming!
    That's true you could drop a bale at a right right angle to the hill and if it turns slightly after leaving the baler it will take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Ooops

Been there done that. Have a small outside farm part of which is quite steep. Were baling there a few years ago and would bring the bale up to the flat bit before opening, any way one bale bounced out of the baler and bounced off another one and changed direction and took off down the field, though the boundary ditch through the neighbours ditch dropped about 4 feet and keep going to the bottom of the glen and stopped about 3 feet from the river bank. Had to use the digger to go in and get it.

Uncle was baling hay a few years ago and part of his place bounces a steep glen. Lad baling hit a bale with the tractor tyre and turned it down the hill. The bale started moving and keep going, went through the ditch and down the glen (about a 60 foot drop) across the main road through the neighbours place and into the forestry. He got such a fright he dropped the next bale wrong and went the same way.

'Twas some craic trying to get the out of the woods. Entered up getting a track machine to lift the out.

Advertisement