Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young farmer top up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

The course is around 18 months and is manageable with a full time job. A shed is an asset, even if it's empty for a start. You're system might change in time.

Come on AP get off your ass & quit the excuses, a few evenings with us "want to be farmers" won't kill you

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

AP2014 wrote: »
    Cheers I will look into it, could be handy down the line and always could rent out as well. Any ball park costs on courses?

The course is around 2k I think. Shed cost are debated here the whole time. Make your mind up soon either way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Farrell wrote: »
    Come on AP get off your ass & quit the excuses, a few evenings with us "want to be farmers" won't kill you

That's just it I need to get off my ass and do something. I think I am the 'want to be farmer' and ye are the real ones. Feck not sure if the extra €65 per entitlement will pay for the course? The shed idea is interesting though and might take the counts advice on that one. Heard lads on here say it can be as cheap without the grant sometimes and things get inflated because of grant. Will give it some serious thought though.

Jaysus sure if there are practicals I may learn how to inject a bullock and do some fencing. Jesus few lads here could be lining up to hit me a few slaps. Better be careful on class nights out.

The course is around 2k I think. Shed cost are debated here the whole time. Make your mind up soon either way!

Thanks I will start looking into it straight away. Will look back over shed costs now as well, have a 3 bay hayshed so would just need a tank and a wall around it. Could be a handy one. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Cheers I will look into it, could be handy down the line and always could rent out as well. Any ball park costs on courses?
    the way you are going AP you wont be posting on the money in beef thread anymore,you quickly learning ways to blow any profit in the system:P

• Advertisement

That's just it I need to get off my ass and do something. I think I am the 'want to be farmer' and ye are the real ones. Feck not sure if the extra €65 per entitlement will pay for the course? The shed idea is interesting though and might take the counts advice on that one. Heard lads on here say it can be as cheap without the grant sometimes and things get inflated because of grant. Will give it some serious thought though.

Jaysus sure if there are practicals I may learn how to inject a bullock and do some fencing. Jesus few lads here could be lining up to hit me a few slaps. Better be careful on class nights out.
    I did the 3 week & 2 week 180hr course when I finished college, 1 course practical & 1 theory supposedly with intentions like you of learning correct procedures - we rarely left the classroom!
    If you can spare the time, it's worth a try as it may come in handy someday

keep going wrote: »
    the way you are going AP you wont be posting on the money in beef thread anymore,you quickly learning ways to blow any profit in the system:P

I know, my thread for 2015 will be 'made a bollox of it all, lost my shirt, am on a rubbish course learning feck all and making fooken repayments on a shed that is empty.'

I did the 3 week & 2 week 180hr course when I finished college, 1 course practical & 1 theory supposedly with intentions like you of learning correct procedures - we rarely left the classroom!
    If you can spare the time, it's worth a try as it may come in handy someday

That sounds like the one for me. how do you mean 2 3 week and 2 week? Was it split over a day a week or 3 weeks solid and then 2 weeks solid?

That sounds like the one for me. how do you mean 2 3 week and 2 week? Was it split over a day a week or 3 weeks solid and then 2 weeks solid?

Back in the day it was solid 3 week & a solid 2 week blocks, I did it over 2 years annual leave

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I know, my thread for 2015 will be 'made a bollox of it all, lost my shirt, am on a rubbish course learning feck all and making fooken repayments on a shed that is empty.'

By Jesus, we'll make a poor farmer of you yet. Misery loves company :-) a nice blasth of suckler cows now and a pedigree limousine bull.

• Advertisement

Back in the day it was solid 3 week & a solid 2 week blocks, I did it over 2 years annual leave

I think that one was pulled unfortunately, looks like it would have been ideal. I will drop teagasc a mail tomorrow and see what is out there now. As in the least hrs and work commitment and ends with the vital piece of paper.

By Jesus, we'll make a poor farmer of you yet. Misery loves company :-) a nice blasth of suckler cows now and a pedigree limousine bull.

I'm hoping to sleep this off, jesus I will be into running a few sucklers over the winter if I keep this up. Cutting hedges and fencing next, probably reseeding and fookin out P and K as if I had money to burn.

Jesus ye lads will have no one to abuse either. The forum could become a dull place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Im doing the 18 month course, 2100 its costing plus all the days off work!
    Friends of mine are doing it in another ag college and can do it on a saturday there!

Re the partnership, you go jointly on the herdnumber, sign the partnership legal form and go jointly on the farm bank account...
    Now he might be wrong but our accountant at home has advised that there are serious tax implications if you go down this route with your parents...

ITs not as easy as it sounds as just go on the account, go on the herd number, away you go!

Correct us if were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How much is the top up worth? Is this different than the installation aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Im doing the 18 month course, 2100 its costing plus all the days off work!
    Friends of mine are doing it in another ag college and can do it on a saturday there!

Re the partnership, you go jointly on the herdnumber, sign the partnership legal form and go jointly on the farm bank account...
    Now he might be wrong but our accountant at home has advised that there are serious tax implications if you go down this route with your parents...

ITs not as easy as it sounds as just go on the account, go on the herd number, away you go!

Correct us if were wrong.

Would be interested as regards tax implications, in ag college at the moment, farm coming to me, don't know to put it into a partnership or sign it over or leave all for a few years. I was of the opinion that partnerships had costs associated with them?? Then if I enter a partnership does it screw me up re grants for education which could be worth more than 2.5K a year to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

We've been told by one man who knows nearly all there is to know about this so I'd be quiet confident it will be okay..out farm is in my name so I will get entitlements just a getting top up them

Out farm been in your name it might work for ya that I don't no only sayin what I heard be worth going to an adviser just to see. If you have your own herd number your good but if it's a joint one I don't think you can get entitlements because if that's the case your father get entitlements to because it's joint an he's not a young farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mauser77 wrote: »
    Out farm been in your name it might work for ya that I don't no only sayin what I heard be worth going to an adviser just to see. If you have your own herd number your good but if it's a joint one I don't think you can get entitlements because if that's the case your father get entitlements to because it's joint an he's not a young farmer

Advisir has confirmed what were doing and should be able to qualify for the top up

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

Advisir has confirmed what were doing and should be able to qualify for the top up

Sure better than nothing I suppose 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Anybody know anything of the tax implications on this?

Or does anyone know if your getting your name out on herd reg do they come out and inspect as if your getting your first one ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Or does anyone know if your getting your name out on herd reg do they come out and inspect as if your getting your first one ?

I don't think so, only have to sign with a witness. Going to see our planner next week so will know all then. If you want any questions asked that day let me know :D
    I read through all the FAQ's and the 20 or so pages or conditions late last night, seems very doable once you have the correct education to qualify.

Kovu wrote: »
    I don't think so, only have to sign with a witness. Going to see our planner next week so will know all then. If you want any questions asked that day let me know :D
    I read through all the FAQ's and the 20 or so pages or conditions late last night, seems very doable once you have the correct education to qualify.

Yeah I was looking into it today going to ring the fella who does sfp for us tommorow.
    Also if your farm has low value entitlements you can apply to bring them up to average.
    And if you have land with none you can apply through national reserve!

Yeah I was looking into it today going to ring the fella who does sfp for us tommorow.
    Also if your farm has low value entitlements you can apply to bring them up to average.
    And if you have land with none you can apply through national reserve!

Afraid we're the opposite with value of entitlements, above average here :o And no land that isn't claimed on, but there's talk of two neighboring fields coming up for sale......

Afraid we're the opposite with value of entitlements, above average here :o And no land that isn't claimed on, but there's talk of two neighboring fields coming up for sale......

Aye ya can buy it with all the extra money ;)
    Not sure what the story is will have to ask the lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Were a mixture of both here. Home farm is alit higher than average due to stacking.
    But out farm has none.
    If I get entitlements from national reserve it'll nearly give us back what we will loose with new cap

Would that help?
    Not being smart, but is the new BFP not the SFP + Sheep payment of 2014 divided by the lesser Ha claimed in 2013/2015.
    So if you're adding extra in 2015, then they'll use 2013 area.
    Also as the new scheme is going to be whole numbers, where eg 14ac is 5.83Ha, will this now be 5 entitlements going forward thus increasing your BFP too?

Would that help?
    Not being smart, but is the new BFP not the SFP + Sheep payment of 2014 divided by the lesser Ha claimed in 2013/2015.
    So if you're adding extra in 2015, then they'll use 2013 area.
    Also as the new scheme is going to be whole numbers, where eg 14ac is 5.83Ha, will this now be 5 entitlements going forward thus increasing your BFP too?

Yea you're right, that had slipped my mind about the year they take into a/c even though I'd read it. I missed this bit about whole numbers though, can you explain that a bit more or point me towards info? :)

Yea you're right, that had slipped my mind about the year they take into a/c even though I'd read it. I missed this bit about whole numbers though, can you explain that a bit more or point me towards info? :)

I've been told that the unit value will be full euro (eg €56 not €56.15) & your area will also be full numbers.
    Just pub talk, but smoke & Fire come to mind

In the dvo today got 2 forms that are needed.
    Er1.1 & one to let the dept know about changing bank detailS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

In the dvo today got 2 forms that are needed.
    Er1.1 & one to let the dept know about changing bank detailS

Is er1 needed aswell as er1.1

Advertisement