Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How common is it for people to never find an other half or have kids?

• 11-07-2019 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

I often meet some women in their mid 30's who are single and planned on having kids. How common is it for them to not have them?

I feel bad for them.

I was on a date with one who was 35 and she said she had planned on having kids but it's too risky for her now.

Even men and other women, how common is it for them to never find someone they love?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rireland wrote: »
    I often meet some women in their mid 30's who are single and planned on having kids. How common is it for them to not have them?

I feel bad for them.

I was on a date with one who was 35 and she said she had planned on having kids but it's too risky for her now.

Even men and other women, how common is it for them to never find someone they love?

5oU9Urb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I know a single woman that bought some young goats so I suppose you can have kids without a significant other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's a bit early in the day for this tripe.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Why feel bad for them?

If they really wanted a kid they could go out & ride whoever they can till they get knocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

Why feel bad for them?

If they really wanted a kid they could go out & ride whoever they can till they get knocked up.

Ever the romantic there kid :-)

It gives life purpose having a kid or kids

The same joy can’t be got from material things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Seems very common for people with high boards post counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Unless someone says they're single, how would their post count reveal it? A certain poster in the past has a wife and four children, and had about 20 posts a day.

The fella with the really young wife was a very regular poster too, with many very long posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Risky at 35? My ass.

I never thought about it, which is probably an advantage of not having a biological clock. I'm unmarried, have a baby, and a mortgage the size of the economy of a minor African country. Not exactly a catch.

I do, however, have life insurance and a family history of prostate cancer so that's good, right ?

I also enjoy a deep fried Mars bar, ladies. PM me before it's too late.

I never thought about it, which is probably an advantage of not having a biological clock. I'm unmarried, have a baby, and a mortgage the size of the economy of a minor African country. Not exactly a catch.

I do, however, have life insurance and a family history of prostate cancer so that's good, right ?

I also enjoy a deep fried Mars bar, ladies. PM me before it's too late.

How is your loud cough these days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

worded wrote: »

Yeah, dealing with shîtty nappies and tantrums makes life complete. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I feel bad for them.

"Even men". Subtle thread OP.

• My AH answer:. OP Do what "The Wizard" tells Travis in the movie 'Taxi Driver'. If you haven't already done so, watch it on DVD or wherever.
    I don't honestly know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I feel bad for them.

I feel worse for you OP, this recycled rinse and repeat crap pops up regularly like a bad TV repeat.

Have you nothing better to be doing with your time than trying to push this bull**** Agenda.

Maybe take up a hobby or do something positive like Volunteering.

I have no children and my life is full of purpose. I'm very lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Different people have different priorities - I personally feel people prioritise careers way more than they should. Sure it's nice to have money, but you also need time to spend it and someone to spend it on. Money on it's own is nothing to write home about.

Kids are what make life worth living, (well mine anyway) not holidays or cars, certainly not a job, or in fact anything material. We're all going to end up in a box at the end of the day (metaphorically speaking, I'd be fairly sure most of us will see tomorrow:eek:)

No one ever lies on their death bed wishing they'd worked longer hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Different people have different priorities - I personally feel people prioritise careers way more than they should. Sure it's nice to have money, but you also need time to spend it and someone to spend it on. Money on it's own is nothing to write home about.

Kids are what make life worth living, (well mine anyway) not holidays or cars or anything material. We're all going to end up in a box at the end of the day (metaphorically speaking, I'd be fairly sure most of us will see tomorrow:eek:)

No one ever lies on their death bed wishing they'd worked longer hours!

Plenty of people lie on the death beds wishing they had travelled more.

You're a woman right?

Do you get all those boring expressions of sympathy from other people when you express lack of interest in having kids? Or is that a myth?

How bizarre - we must buck the norm then.

I have no children and my life is full of purpose too.

Its also full of material things as well. Sometimes, its nice to have nice things or not to worry about money or be able to travel to places you never dreamed you would see.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Women who want kids, unfortunately for them, need to make serious plans about getting on with it as they hit 30, especially if they are single.

This modern image of a woman being a high flying corporate type doesn't tend to tag along the caveat that, should she want kids, she can't wait for forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Christ I hate this attitude - life has a purpose without procreating. How patronising to say otherwise. Maybe your life has nothing in it before kids, thankfully its not that way for others.

A lot of people dedicate their lives to themselves and that is perfectly fine. They want to travel, see the world, have money to have a comfortable standard of living and that is ok.

Each to their own but the patronising crap from some parents needs to stop. Wrecks my head.

Plenty of people lie on the death beds wishing they had travelled more.

Well they have the mother of all journeys ahead of them now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Risky at 35? My ass.

Different story for different people I suppose. Anecdotal but I know of one lady who is very eager to get the kids done and dusted by 35 as her family has a history of kids with special needs from older mammies.

You're a woman right?

Do you get all those boring expressions of sympathy from other people when you express lack of interest in having kids? Or is that a myth?

Ha Ha, I find nothing worse than a baby bore and have actually got up from the table at work when a bad one starts.

What I do get said to me is "ahhh, you'll feel different when you have your own"

Now that is a compliment as I won't be having any of my own unless there's an immaculate conception as I'm pushing to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Why feel bad for them?

Just because your Ma did it doesn't mean its for everyone

You're a woman right?

I am :)

I have been asked if I plan on having kids but so far haven't experienced any judgement. Of course my response is usually a jokey one. If I came straight out and said "I don't want any"? Well I don't know and that isn't completely accurate anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Another one here! I'm in good health and like travelling, hiking, choral singing, amongst others; working in a challenging job which I also enjoy.
    Don't have much interest in material stuff other than owning a house but like touring around a lot within and outside Ireland & going to gigs.

I love kids though they're great fun, just never wanted my own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

anewme wrote: »
    I feel worse for you OP, this recycled rinse and repeat crap pops up regularly like a bad TV repeat.

Have you nothing better to be doing with your time than trying to push this bull**** Agenda.

Maybe take up a hobby or do something positive like Volunteering.

Woah. What do you mean?

Advertisement