Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part the Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

volchitsa wrote: »
    The white supremacists who wanted to stop black children being allowed into "white" schools in the US would have thought that described them to a T.

Doesn't mean it's true though. What they are doing is as important as why they think they are doing it, and intimidating and demeaning women at a vulnerable moment in their lives makes that a dubious call.

fair point but that is why i said the majority rather then all. there will always be small individuals and even fringe groups who are not out for the common good. however i don't believe the majority of pro-life are anything other then good people who wish to right a wrong.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭volchitsa

fair point but that is why i said the majority rather then all. there will always be small fringe groups who are not out for the common good. however i don't believe the majority of pro-life are anything other then good people who wish to right a wrong.

I'm sure that among those white supremacists in the 1960s there were lots of basically decent people too though. They were the product of their upbringing.
    Very much like Irish Catholics, or even ex Catholics, are the product of ours.

So yes, I agree, but it still doesn't make it right. People protesting because they don't like someone else having a right is retrograde and in this case anti women.

We saw that prolifers can't make a solid case for banning abortion, that's why they resorted to so many lies and all the fear mongering about babies being killed right up to birth and even after. So it really doesn't matter what they think they are defending, what they are actually doing is deluding themselves about reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

yes . as i see it, the majority of people get involved in protest movements for reasons of good. they feel strongly about the issue and want to change things. they care and want to bring about the greater good.
    But how do you know this when you don't go to the protests?
    How you reconcile this with the harassment and intimidation that does happen in places in America etc. ? Are you saying that no harassement from these protests ever takes place?

How come, if you feel so strongly against abortion, and the protesters are so noble and effective, why do you not go to them?

volchitsa wrote: »
    I'm sure that among those white supremacists in the 1960s there were lots of basically decent people too though. They were the product of their upbringing.
    Very much like Irish Catholics, or even ex Catholics, are the product of ours.

So yes, I agree, but it still doesn't make it right. People protesting because they don't like someone else having a right is retrograde and in this case anti women.

We saw that prolifers can't make a solid case for banning abortion, that's why they resorted to so many lies and all the fear mongering about babies being killed right up to birth and even after. So it really doesn't matter what they think they are defending, what they are actually doing is deluding themselves about reality.

being against abortion on demand is not anti women, it's pro women. unborn women are the victims of abortion as well.
    pro-lifers made an absolutely solid case to ban abortion bar certain circumstances, and i am satisfied that this is the case.
    people not willing to except the reality of the barbarity and cruelty of abortion on demand is not the fault of pro-life. pro-life can only put the message across. after that, those who do not wish to listen have to live with what they vote for. pro-life's consciences are clear.

King Mob wrote: »
    But how do you know this when you don't go to the protests?
    How you reconcile this with the harassment and intimidation that does happen in places in America etc. ? Are you saying that no harassement from these protests ever takes place?

How come, if you feel so strongly against abortion, and the protesters are so noble and effective, why do you not go to them?

i personally don't believe the harassment is anywhere near what is being claimed within the US .
    there have been serious incidents that go beyond harassment but i think those have been carried out by fringe individuals and groups who just want to engage in violence, for which abortion is convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

fair point but that is why i said the majority rather then all. there will always be small individuals and even fringe groups who are not out for the common good. however i don't believe the majority of pro-life are anything other then good people who wish to right a wrong.

Stop saying they wish to right a wrong when they have NO authority to make such a judgment on behalf of another person, least of all a TOTAL stranger.
    Repeating the statement ad nauseum doesn’t make it accurate or true.

You are being extremely offensive to those reading who may have had terminations.
    They did not and do need the guidance of you and your LoveBoat cohorts to make their own choices for their own lives.

You have an extremely superior, self righteous attitude if you believe that any person should have to justify their private medical care to you. They don’t and thankfully they never will.

You’re simply embarrassing yourself at this stage.

• Advertisement

being against abortion on demand is not anti women, it's pro women. unborn women are the victims of abortion as well.
    pro-lifers made an absolutely solid case to ban abortion bar certain circumstances, and i am satisfied that this is the case.
    people not willing to except the reality of the barbarity and cruelty of abortion on demand is not the fault of pro-life. pro-life can only put the message across. after that, those who do not wish to listen have to live with what they vote for. pro-life's consciences are clear.

i personally don't believe the harassment is anywhere near what is being claimed within the US .
    there have been serious incidents that go beyond harassment but i think those have been carried out by fringe individuals and groups who just want to engage in violence, for which abortion is convenient.

Nope it's as bad as claimed their Christian nut jobs actually classified as a terrorist organization.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God_(United_States)

being
    Have you evidence for this?
    Why do you believe that there is less harassment than is claimed? Are the people claiming harassment not genuine?

Also you seem to have missed my other question.
    Why do you not participate in the protests yourself?

If you intend on avoiding the question as usual, please at least say so. It would save a lot of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Deciding when a woman can and cannot have an abortion including believing that women who have been raped should be forced to give birth to the child of their rapist is about as anti woman as you can get.
    If they had such a solid case, they wouldn't have had to resort to lies, scaremongering and filibustering in an attempt to persuade people of said case.

Deciding when a woman can and cannot have an abortion including believing that women who have been raped should be forced to give birth to the child of their rapist is about as anti woman as you can get.
    If they had such a solid case, they wouldn't have had to resort to lies, scaremongering and filibustering in an attempt to persuade people of said case.
    End maintains that the anti abortion campaign never lied about anything. Himself included.
    When shown evidence of these lies, he suddenly finds those facts irrelevant to the discussion and does not respond.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Stop saying they wish to right a wrong when they have NO authority to make such a judgment on behalf of another person, least of all a TOTAL stranger.
    Repeating the statement ad nauseum doesn’t make it accurate or true.

You are being extremely offensive to those reading who may have had terminations.
    They did not and do need the guidance of you and your LoveBoat cohorts to make their own choices for their own lives.

You have an extremely superior, self righteous attitude if you believe that any person should have to justify their private medical care to you. They don’t and thankfully they never will.

You’re simply embarrassing yourself at this stage.

while i won't and don't specifically go out of my way to offend anyone and never would, i make no appology for stating the realities of abortion on demand.
    the ending of a healthy unborn human being's life is a billion times more offensive then me having a viewpoint as i see it, and i will never make any apollogy for believing the unnecessary ending of a life is wrong.

• Advertisement

Have you evidence for this?
    Why do you believe that there is less harassment than is claimed? Are the people claiming harassment not genuine?

i am sure they may be genuine in that they believe on a personal basis that harassment has taken place, but may not realisz that in reality it may not have been harassment.
    Also you seem to have missed my other question.
    Why do you not participate in the protests yourself?

If you intend on avoiding the question as usual, please at least say so. It would save a lot of bother.

because i don't specifically agree with the protests. however i absolutely support their right to do so and i agree with the aim they have of ending abortion on demand.
    End maintains that the anti abortion campaign never lied about anything. Himself included.
    When shown evidence of these lies, he suddenly finds those facts irrelevant to the discussion and does not respond.

because apart from the odd campeigner, i don't believe pro-life in general lied. so i don't believe that it would be worth it for me to respond to simply say i don't agree all the time.

Another link for you reporting that harassment is actually increasing in the U.S.
    https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I82K1

i am sure they may be genuine in that they believe on a personal basis that harassment has taken place, but may not realisz that in reality it may not have been harassment.

because i don't specifically agree with the protests. however i absolutely support their right to do so and i agree with the aim they have of ending abortion on demand.

because apart from the odd campeigner, i don't believe pro-life in general lied. so i don't believe that it would be worth it for me to respond to simply say i don't agree all the time.

The odd campaigner, your being selective again, the whole campaign and anyone they had talking on their behalf lied.

Firstly, any evidence for this?

Secondly, if that can be the case, isnt it also possible that maybe your personal bias is making you deny harassment that is taking place?
    because i don't specifically agree with the protests.
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

splinter65 wrote: »
    No no I don’t support that at all. The RCC is not a public service that everyone is entitled to avail of at all. It’s a private club that you are not obliged to join but if you join you have to obey the rules.

Well they need to GTF out of state-funded schools, then.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Nobody said you can’t hand out condoms on the street outside a church if you want. Knock yourself out. Hand them out and tubes of lube if it makes you happy.
    But you won’t be coming into the church to hand them out.
    You hand out your condoms and I’ll hand out my leaflets and we’ll all be happy.
    But you can’t come into the church (private property) and put items that are contrary to Church law on the notice board.
    Regarding the RCC and SSM the Sacrament of Matrimony is for Catholics only with some small allowances. As the RCC rules doesn’t allow for SSM then the church is of course going to refuse you the sacrament.
    A priest is not obliged to marry anyone he deems not suitable for marriage, you are not entitled to demand a priest marry you and the priest is exempt from the Eqaulity Act in his regard.

This is either very stupid, or deliberately missing the point.

Nobody is talking about coming into church property, etc.

But we non-catholics have a right to free speech, whether your church likes it or not - and this is a right we can only exercise in quite recent years.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

I know what the argument is, I didn't say prolife didn't have any, I said they weren't solid. Like this one. I don't wish to rerun the interminable referendum discussions yet again just because you still don't see why this is a point that will work to convince the already converted.

However, from what appears to be a reflex action I find I cannot stop myself from pointing out that the argument works just as well as an explanation for why banning women from having access to contraception would not be anti women because it protects unconceived women who should have the same rights as other women. :rolleyes:

People looked at both sides closely and decided that they did not accept your fundamental premise that the rights of the unborn can reasonably be used to reduce the rights of the born. The rest of your edifice of arguments collapses unless you can convince 50+% of the population that the unborn need/deserve these rights more than the born need theirs.

So let's not go down that rabbit hole again in this thread. Maybe start a new one when you have some new arguments that we haven't seen before? I'd genuinely be very interested. I just don't think there are any, until new research comes out proving that 12 week old foetuses are writing poetry in their mother's womb or something.

Well, clearly they failed to convince anything like a majority of the population. That's called having failed to make your case. By normal measures of success in debates anyway. It's a measure of the logical weakness of the prolife position that you are unable to learn from your failure to convince and are reacting as though you had somehow been prevented from making your case or something. Blaming the electorate for not being convinced by it is poor form. Seriously.

But if we can get back to the current question, about why, having failed to make their case on the nation's media in a structured manner when given all necessary airtime etc, they should now be allowed to engage in low-level intimidatory tactics against vulnerable women and couples as a roundabout way of trying to achieve what they failed to convince the electorate to vote for, well, you haven't even tried to make that case yet.
    You're still stuck at trying to rerun the referendum. You need to move on from that.

I believe the next move will be to repeat the claims that the anti abortion side failed because of other reasons not of their doing.
    Last time there were claims of the government lying about the referendum and the media being part of the big conspiracy to legalise abortion.

Just going to premptively point out that none of that has been in anyway outlined or detailed anx certainly not substaniated.

Oh. Also the claim that the anti abortion side actually did win as they were in fact also against the 8th. The belief being that the majority of people are actually against abortion, they just voted down the 8th for some reason.

Basically the reason can't be that their claims and arguments are bad. That would just be impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

EOTR - if you say "abortion is murder", you're saying that it's the unlawful killing of another human being, correct?

Except abortion is legal and legislated for, with the definition of human being not applying to those who are unborn.

How is it murder? Is it a fact that it's murder (i.e it is defined and set out in the constitution or law that terminating an unborn is murder) or is it your opinion that it is murder?

If it is in fact murder, how come we aren't arresting all of these murderers?

you seemed to have missed this bit EOTR.

I'll post it again for you.

If the pro-life campaign didn't lie for the most part, how do you explain Ronan Mullen? The fake nurse? What about this instance directly from yourself -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105874755&postcount=4775
    a large element of the pro-choice want unrestricted abortion right up to term and they will push hard for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If your parents brought you to be baptized and you’re now annoyed that they did then should you not be directing your annoyance at your parents and not the priest?
    That’s like being annoyed at the beautician because your parents brought you to have your ears pierced. Ludicrous.
    If I join Ballygobacwards Golf Club then there’s no obligation on me to ever go near the Club again. If I never turn up to play a round of golf or go to a meeting or have a drink in the bar then no one is going to chase me about it. Oh my membership will be terminated if I don’t pay my “dues” but if I do I will still be a member.
    It’s the same in the church. No one is chasing you to participate.
    If you don’t want to be a Catholic then just don’t be one. Adults who present themselves to the priest for sacraments must want to be Catholics otherwise why would they?

Thank you for not answering the question I put to you. Your attempt at derision fell flat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

EOTR must be the most famous poster on boards.ie at this stage with the same tired old tactics of stating opinion as fact, never backing up what they say, running and hiding when the contradictions are pointed out, refusing to engage when people point out the flaws in their argument.

Hard to believe that so long after the referendum the same poster is still trotting out the same old guff.

Although maybe not so hard to believe, if its not possible by law to subjugate women through denial of basic medical care, the fall back position for the anti women crew is fear, harassment and intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Approaching someone going into a public building and hassling them and possibly frightening them is totally unacceptable and if you see someone doing that you should take it upon yourself to stand up and be counted by intervening. The person doing the hassling needs to be excluded from any further protests or pickets.
    I haven’t heard of anyone currently protesting abortions here in Ireland doing that though, if you see it you should go to the defense of the person being hassled immediately.
    Respectfully standing on a public street with banners and leaflets however is totally acceptable and anyone that wants to protest anything that they think is wrong is free to do so.

I have politely but firmly stopped women protestors at Christian prayer sessions hassling women attending clinics on Berkeley Rd in Dublin in the past.

Getting back to the question I put to you and which you turned back to me: using your terminology, will you stop the hassler at the protest from hassling women attending public buildings?

while i won't and don't specifically go out of my way to offend anyone and never would, i make no appology for stating the realities of abortion on demand.
    the ending of a healthy unborn human being's life is a billion times more offensive then me having a viewpoint as i see it, and i will never make any apollogy for believing the unnecessary ending of a life is wrong.

Others do not share this belief and this country gives them the democratic freedom to do so. Your opinion is no more valid nor pertinent than theirs.
    Stop imposing on their lives with your soapboxing.

We are all aware of the realities of abortion on demand, no one more so than the woman trying to actually walk into the clinic to procure the service.
    She doesn't need your opinion or your interference.

You are entitled to find it offensive, but you aren't entitled to involve yourself in someone else's choice.
    "Right" & "wrong" is a matter of opinion.
    You have no more right to interfere in a woman's private medical matters than she does in yours.

Give others the respect you would expect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

If a person is feeling harassed they are feeling harassed for a reason, you do not get to dictate how other people interpret levels of harassment. If I follow you around with graphic posters and invade what you interpret as your personal space, I have absolutely no right to tell you that your interpretation of harassment is unjustified.

Any suggestion otherwise is pig-ignorant, this has been explained to you numerous times so please acknowledge that it is not within your remit to determine someone's justification for feeling harassed.

If a person is feeling harassed they are feeling harassed for a reason, you do not get to dictate how other people interpret levels of harassment. If I follow you around with graphic posters and invade what you interpret as your personal space, I have absolutely no right to tell you that your interpretation of harassment is unjustified.

Any suggestion otherwise is pig-ignorant, this has been explained to you numerous times so please acknowledge that it is not within your remit to determine someone's justification for feeling harassed.

EOTR has a propensity to assume how others interpret things on a regular basis.
    I recall him making several statements in the run up to the referendum that women who think they need abortions, actually don't need them, they just don't realise it. (can quote if necessary)
    He was unfortunately unable to explain how he, as a stranger, could possibly know or determine that they "didn't really need the abortion", but still upheld his claim even so, by repeating it several times over.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on a satisfactory response if I were you.

Especially when the reason for not believing that it is harassment seems to be because that level of harassment is justified due to the nature of the issue!

It might be harassment if it were about a different subject - how ln earth does that work?

Well they need to GTF out of state-funded schools, then.

presumably they will do that when it is shown that in actual fact the majority of people are not catholic. while a majority continue to tick the catholic box on the census form then i'd imagine the cc feel they have a perfect mandate to remain involved. as i have said before, if a majority of people want the cc out of schools hospitals etc then they need to show this to be the case. while they continue not to do so then they can't be surprised the cc remain involved.
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    EOTR has a propensity to assume how others interpret things on a regular basis.
    I recall him making several statements in the run up to the referendum that women who think they need abortions, actually don't need them, they just don't realise it. (can quote if necessary)
    He was unfortunately unable to explain how he, as a stranger, could possibly know or determine that they "didn't really need the abortion", but still upheld his claim even so, by repeating it several times over.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on a satisfactory response if I were you.

the poster you quoted is on ignore so he won't be getting a response to anything he writes from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

the poster you quoted is on ignore so he won't be getting a response to anything he writes from me.

We should all take a leaf out of your book.

presumably they will do that when it is shown that in actual fact the majority of people are not catholic. while a majority continue to tick the catholic box on the census form then i'd imagine the cc feel they have a perfect mandate to remain involved. as i have said before, if a majority of people want the cc out of schools hospitals etc then they need to show this to be the case. while they continue not to do so then they can't be surprised the cc remain involved.

Hi, you seem to have missed my post again.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110005234&postcount=165

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He hasn't responded to anything i've asked either. He must have a lot of us on ignore.

Advertisement