Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apprentice Carpenter Tool list

• 22-02-2018 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,
    I've been offered an apprenticeship in carpentry and joinery, I start on Monday.
    As a little background I was a chef for 3 years before this (I'm 24 now).
    I was hoping to get a list of tools I should get before I start as I hate going into a job half ready and I'll get some sort of use out of them no matter because I love working with wood, any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    P.S I have around 300 to spend but would rather keep it at 200 if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Best of luck with it. Is it 1st or 2ND fix, roofing , site based, or a workshop you will be starting with. Don't forget € 500 for the snickers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 francy1535

Best of luck with it. Is it 1st or 2ND fix, roofing , site based, or a workshop you will be starting with. Don't forget € 500 for the snickers

Hey,
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I know he's doing a roof in Dublin on Monday when I start but honestly I applied to an advertisement online and got a phone call the next day to start so I'm really up the air about specific information, I just don't want to be starting with nothing, yano what i mean?
    Also I can stretch to 500 no problem, I'm just looking for a list of what to get ðŸ˜
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Will you be getting registered as an apprentice officially, and going through all the proper

workplace and college training??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

kadman wrote: »
    Will you be getting registered as an apprentice officially, and going through all the proper

workplace and college training??

Until you know if its a genuine apprenticeship I wouldn't buy anything.

my3cents wrote: »
    Until you know if its a genuine apprenticeship I wouldn't buy anything.

My sentiments entirely.

In the good old days before protection and regulations for apprentices, offers of " so called " apprenticeships were nothing more than unscrupulous builders using the term apprenticeships as nothing more than an opportunity to get enthusiastic young chaps as cheap labour.

And given todays H&S regulations, I would be surprised that you would be let any where near a roof without adequate safety instruction on working at height, and all the apropriate PPE.

Hopefully you have found the real thing,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

you will also have to do the "safe pass" course to be allowed on site

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Here are some books that might be of some help to you. There in the last post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103201496

Here are some books that might be of some help to you. There in the last post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103201496

Excellent books for all levels of experience:)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

francy1535 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I've been offered an apprenticeship in carpentry and joinery, I start on Monday.
    As a little background I was a chef for 3 years before this (I'm 24 now).
    I was hoping to get a list of tools I should get before I start as I hate going into a job half ready and I'll get some sort of use out of them no matter because I love working with wood, any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    P.S I have around 300 to spend but would rather keep it at 200 if possible

Hi Francy,
    For tools I'd keep it to a minimum,
    A tool belt, hammer, new handsaw, measuring tape 5metre, 25mm chisel (or a set if you can afford it) and an oilstone to sharpen it, sliding combination square, pencils, stanley knife.
    If as you said you are starting a roof on monday these will do for a start.
    Your chisels will need sharpening out of the box, have a look at you tube for the how.

tim

Advertisement