Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cornhole boards!

• 13-02-2018 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi...My nephew is getting married soon and has an American themed barbeque reception. One of the games played is called cornhole toss! a fairly innocent :) outdoor activity invovling throwing bags filled with corn at 2 boards with a hole on top...like in attach1.
    I've made the boards attach 3. He wants to individualize the boards with the bride and grooms names below the Dublin Crest ...attach 2 is a rough design i made earlier ..but i think an easier set up will be the final outcome...i just put it up so as to get a better idea of what i want to do.
    I had an idea of using decals .i.e. vinyl wrap stickers like people put on they're cars. Problem is finding the right size decal that has the Dublin crest...it needs to be 9" x 12"...anybody know where i can get them that big!?
    The decals lettering for the names of the bride & groom would need to be a bit bigger.
    I know i could stencil and hand paint the job....but my hand is a bit too shacky...don't want to mess up my boards that i built . I might have a go if i learned the proper technique.
    I'd appreciate some advice on how to go about this. And as always I'll b updating the progress with photos. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Looks like a vinyl wrap from a vehicle sign writer could do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I was on a pub crawl in Virginia a few months back and corn hole was set up in the yard at the back of one of the bars - great, great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

I tried the vehicle signwriters ,,thanks Kadman ..but I ended up ordering the decals from a place out on Clongriffen...Deirdre out there sorted me out with the sizing of them...just waiting for them to arrive. The putting together of the boards was simple enuf. Just two 4' x 2' plyboards ...or cut equal halfs of a 8x4 sheet. I did a frame of 3x1 surrounding each board and a middle brace. The boards need a 6 inch diameter hole..i did an ok job with a jigsaw. Next time if i know , i'm making a few then i'll make a router jig of some sorts.
    I brush painted 2 coats of primer on them. Then i thought about the design and what paint apllication i was going to do.
    I made up a maquette (small scale model) of what i wanted the main project to look like...see attached...hope it does not offend some.
    It gave me a chance to practise my spray paint technique...u can see the red paint crinkled and oversprayed to a darker tint in one small board.
    i then masked the areas that needed painting on the bigger boards. I sprayed 2 coats of white satin covering each board totally. Then worked on the yellow...then the red section.
    I messed up spraying in the red section just at the base. It crinkled up badly...moisture was the issue ..i presume.
    It was a cold day also...so i left it.
    I'm no expert...but i'll have to sand around the area right down to the top of the ply venneer...then prime and respray.
    By my next post, hopefully I'll have the decals on and i might just stick with the Northside/Southside lettering only as the other lettering in might cause offence at the wedding. Then again a wedding is not a wedding unless there's a real barney at some stage....but then again I dint want to be the cause of a full scale riot.

opps sorry for confusing everyone....forgot to attach this in last post...now u know what i mean.

oops again...forgot to post this image earlier with previous post!now u know what i mean

• Advertisement

Ehhh...just realised how my last posts where are a bit on the confused side. So I'll be to the point here. Look at photo....job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi , just wondering where you got the corn bags for this game? Proving kind of difficult to get at a decent price.

Advertisement