Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers including friends and family

• 04-07-2017 3:14pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm inevitably going to word this wrong but hopefully you'll get what I mean!

What do you guys think of bloggers who include their friends and family in their posts? I don't mind the occasional mention or picture but some bloggers seem to have more posts/snaps relating to other people than to what their blog is meant to be about and I can feel quite uncomfortable about it. Is it not a bit too personal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It depends on what the blog is about, and how they frame it. I think blogs are innately more personalised than a business- even if it is a job for some- so why not include them? The best blogs I read/ follow are all about personal experiences- if I wanted bare facts then I'd just look up normal websites. I also think the most successful bloggers are the ones who develop a relationship with their viewers/ readers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Maybe I should clarify that last sentence. Of course a blog requires a personal element but is there not a limit? Do the bloggers themselves not want to keep some things private?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Do the bloggers themselves not want to keep some things private?

Obviously not. TBH I post photos of me, my partner and my cats on my instagram, which is linked to my blog (which I haven't updated in ages). I don't post up photos of my friends without their permission. However I have friends who have every single account on lock down, and don't post any photos of their face or anything identifiable at all. Horses for courses really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Maybe I should clarify that last sentence. Of course a blog requires a personal element but is there not a limit? Do the bloggers themselves not want to keep some things private?

I think the same as you and believe that some of them almost over share their personal life.Take one blogger who got a new boyfriend at the beginning of the year since then has gone almost overload in sharing photos of the new fella. In fact,it's not even over sharing the person life anymore really as the boyfriend is now actually the main content of the blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

A certain amount of sharing family and friends I personally don't mind, I love a bit of behind the scenes stuff. BUT when I see your baby 573236483 times a day and have to hear baby talk, that is a major annoyance for me. Yeah babies are great, but I don't need to see more of your kid than my I see of my own family. And speaking to Ratmouses point above, said blogger claimed she would keep her relationship private, but continues to flaunt it, and has started teaming up on projects with her BF. I don't think this is a smart move, as they don't seem to know each other that long, plus I find their constant 'private jokes' really forced and they seem show-y off-y in general. Just a little gripe, but I dont think it's clever to have your partner shared in so much of your social media, what happens if it all goes up in smoke? I mean they aren't together very long, it's a bit different sharing them if you are together a few years....

• Advertisement

Ray37 wrote: »
    A certain amount of sharing family and friends I personally don't mind, I love a bit of behind the scenes stuff. BUT when I see your baby 573236483 times a day and have to hear baby talk, that is a major annoyance for me. Yeah babies are great, but I don't need to see more of your kid than my I see of my own family. And speaking to Ratmouses point above, said blogger claimed she would keep her relationship private, but continues to flaunt it, and has started teaming up on projects with her BF. I don't think this is a smart move, as they don't seem to know each other that long, plus I find their constant 'private jokes' really forced and they seem show-y off-y in general. Just a little gripe, but I dont think it's clever to have your partner shared in so much of your social media, what happens if it all goes up in smoke? I mean they aren't together very long, it's a bit different sharing them if you are together a few years....

I fully agree Ray. Should be more more cautious about mixing your overnight romance with your established blogging career. The blog is literally all about him now and feck all other content. Funnily enough, he isn't as quick to overload his social media accountants with photos in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Ya I agree. Show some parts of your private life if that what you want. It's nice to see a little i suppose! But no need to shove the fact you have a boyfriend or kids down people throats! People get sick of that very fast! Also every picture does not have to include your designer bag! There is a line between showing something to people and showing of!

I follow several types of blogs and I had never before come across a blog, as described above, where the content is pretty much fully about just showing the fact that you got yourself a boyfriend! What category of blog would that even fall into?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I feel that the more a blogger shows of their private life, the more that the followers will expect to see.
    Many of the bloggers I follow don't share everything, many of them don't show their partner, their child, don't disclose their workplace or day job. And I find I don't have any desire to see it either, just show me the fashion/beauty/food/fitness that you blog and I follow you for. I respect their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ratmouse wrote: »
    I think the same as you and believe that some of them almost over share their personal life.Take one blogger who got a new boyfriend at the beginning of the year since then has gone almost overload in sharing photos of the new fella. In fact,it's not even over sharing the person life anymore really as the boyfriend is now actually the main content of the blog.

I agree with this. This blogger doesn't do anything on her own anymore, he features in all her content, doing q&a's, taking over her snaps and they were even supposed to do a workshop together.
    I actually don't know what her current target market is because I can't figure out what direction her blog is taking.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be a fan of the 'new boyfriend blogger' at all now, but I can see that she's making a huge mistake by including him in everything. As WhiteRoses said, he somehow manages to be in every snap, Insta post, and goes to events with her. I don't think they are together more than a year. I don't get why he is suddenly everywhere, surely she knows her followers want to see her, not her fella and their inside jokes every 2 secs??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ray37 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of the 'new boyfriend blogger' at all now, but I can see that she's making a huge mistake by including him in everything. As WhiteRoses said, he somehow manages to be in every snap, Insta post, and goes to events with her. I don't think they are together more than a year. I don't get why he is suddenly everywhere, surely she knows her followers want to see her, not her fella and their inside jokes every 2 secs??

He seems to be a total camera hog. She can't have the camera on her for more than a few snaps and he has to get a word in. I'd be very wary of his motivations. It just has all the warning signs of being a bad deal- mixing business with pleasure. I don't know. If she's happy, that's great, but I don't enjoy watching her content when he's constantly grabbing the phone and she's asking her followers for q&a's for him.

I wouldn't be her biggest fan or anything but I won't deny that she has worked hard to get where she is on her own merit- and then to seemingly be partnering up with this guy who she's only been public with since Christmas, it doesn't seem right to me! It is my opinion that he is using her channel and her reach to gain an audience for himself and plug his business. How she can't see this is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

anna080 wrote: »
    He seems to be a total camera hog. She can't have the camera on her for more than a few snaps and he has to get a word in. I'd be very wary of his motivations. It just has all the warning signs of being a bad deal- mixing business with pleasure. I don't know. If she's happy, that's great, but I don't enjoy watching her content when he's constantly grabbing the phone and she's asking her followers for q&a's for him.

I wouldn't be her biggest fan or anything but I won't deny that she has worked hard to get where she is on her own merit- and then to seemingly be partnering up with this guy who she's only been public with since Christmas, it doesn't seem right to me! It is my opinion that he is using her channel and her reach to gain an audience for himself and plug his business. How she can't see this is beyond me.

There was quite a lot on snapchat of him asking her to stop taking videos and to put the camera away not to long ago and I unfollowed her around that time though I follow her on instagram still.

Why do you say he's a camera hog and so on. I would have thought she's well able to choose what to put up and she doesn't come across as guillable. If anything she seems delighted with him and the relationship in my view.
    What makes you think he's grabbing her phone rather than her wanting the photos?

It's quite clearly advertising his business in exchange for free personal training which would cost an absolute fortune in London. Every single one of those snaps related to him, nutrition, his business, gym etc should be #ad but she's getting away with it because he's her boyfriend and no one is pointing out what she's doing and how unethical it is even though she has repeatedly said he's her trainer.

I never saw him asking her not to take videos and put camera down?

I don't think there is any need for her to put #ad in her snaps when talking about his business? Whatever her or his motives is there isn't a need for the hashtag!

Ever since she has moved to London and a bit before that her blog has taken a back seat. Although I wouldn't be a fan as such of hers I would read her blog if it had something thag interested me because she puts a lot of effort into the posts she writes and they are written well. Her last few posts have been a list of her stockists and a list of the places she is travelling this year! Not what I would call blog posts! Maybe she is letting the blogging take a back seat while she is doing the bikini modelling and product line I don't know? A bit less of him and more makeup etc on snapchat would be great in my opinion!

I find the #ad thing a bit confusing but my understanding of it is if she's being given a service on the understanding that she promotes it then it should be #ad is that correct?

So given that she has said he is her personal trainer and she's constantly talking about his business, her diet and fitness goals as guided by him and so on and getting her followers to ask him questions surely that's advertising his business?
    If she was giving that much coverage to a gym would people still say there was no need for #ad?

Or am I completely misunderstanding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

I've no idea who you're all talking about, are you allowed say or pm me?

Unless money changes hands it's not an ad! Or if you are told we're giving you this product/service on the grounds you will give it a positive review that's considered an ad from my understanding! To be honest all that part is pretty vague I think and really it's not a law just a guideline so who is to say what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I posted about this in a different forum already. I follow MomFitnessDiary and she has two boys. We never see their faces or know their names. She doesnt flaunt them on camera and I admire her for this. Needless to say she doesnt receive bundles of boys clothes, shoes etc because companies probably dont see it as being worth their while.

Now on the other hand a different blogger constantly has her child on snapchat. She is wearing bows that are sent to her, dresses, buggies and bags from BellaBabyetc (granted this blogger does seem to buy a lot for her too but ...) the bit that really gets my goat is asking people not to screenshot any pictures with the child in it. I assume that people are taking shots of the clothes, bibs and pretty little bows as opposed to a random child that they dont know from Adam!

I completely understand a mother being protective of their child's privacy but if you are going to include her in 90% of your snapchats then you have to accept that people are going to be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

heldel00 wrote: »

Now on the other hand a different blogger constantly has her child on snapchat. She is wearing bows that are sent to her, dresses, buggies and bags from BellaBabyetc (granted this blogger does seem to buy a lot for her too but ...) the bit that really gets my goat is asking people not to screenshot any pictures with the child in it. I assume that people are taking shots of the clothes, bibs and pretty little bows as opposed to a random child that they dont know from Adam!

I thought I knew who you were talking about but the bit in bold makes me think that I'm thinking of something different.

A particular Irish family in London are favourites of mine and I love seeing how the children are growing up BUT I have one issue with the father. If he thinks there is the chance of waterworks with his eldest then he seems to really push her buttons to get her going. I really don't understand it and it annoys me. He'll ask her questions like "You'll miss ___ when she leaves today, won't you?". She wouldn't have thought about it or got sad about it if you didn't force the question on her with a camera in her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

No I'd rather not name her. She wouldn't be one of the best known bloggers and overall i do like her but if you are including your children and receiving goods for them then you need to be less sensitive

• Advertisement

Are you talking about Just Jordan? I remember her saying things like that quite a bit when the baby was first born, she was extra sensitive and protective I guess and wasn't sure how much she was going to feature her to the public.

I haven't seen her say it in a very long time though so I don't think it bothers her anymore. I think she was just hypersensitive and paranoid when the baba was first born.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I thought I knew who you were talking about but the bit in bold makes me think that I'm thinking of something different.

A particular Irish family in London are favourites of mine and I love seeing how the children are growing up BUT I have one issue with the father. If he thinks there is the chance of waterworks with his eldest then he seems to really push her buttons to get her going. I really don't understand it and it annoys me. He'll ask her questions like "You'll miss ___ when she leaves today, won't you?". She wouldn't have thought about it or got sad about it if you didn't force the question on her with a camera in her face.

Whos the blogger?Sound very unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

bigpink wrote: »
    Whos the blogger?Sound very unfair

Google Irish YouTube family, they've close to 2 million subscribers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I really wish the bloggers boyfriend who steals her phone to do q&as on fitness would just start his own account. I want to follow her not him, it has really put me off. Seems as if he wants to use her following for his own gain. I'm sure she's alright with this but I don't care about counting macros. If I did I would follow his account.

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I really wish the bloggers boyfriend who steals her phone to do q&as on fitness would just start his own account. I want to follow her not him, it has really put me off. Seems as if he wants to use her following for his own gain. I'm sure she's alright with this but I don't care about counting macros. If I did I would follow his account.
    I think letting someone have so much time on your snap, and sharing so much of his content is a huge mistake. I am not a fan of hers TBH, but I do follow her mostly out of curiosity and to see her fitness regime. Her followers surely are following because they like HER, and now she is constantly plugging him and his business. The old rule, dont mix business with pleasure really should be applied here. I totally agree that it seems like he is just trying to pull followers from her to his own platform, he needs his own snapchat, and needs to stop taking over hers. TBH it actually comes across as him being very demanding of her, and if it all ends in tears it'll have done serious damage to the business and blog that she has built up for herself. She no longer snaps about her life, it's all 'US', and I just think it's a really bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Mars Bar wrote: »

See in a way I feel very sorry for those children, their entire lives are on the internet without their say so and who knows how they'll feel about it in years to come.

They actually live in the same town as me and a colleagues child is in the same class as one of them and was invited to a birthday party. I really wanted to ask if they'd asked the parents of the other children there permission to put their children on YouTube - I know if it was me and mine I wouldn't be happy.

Also getting a bit fed up of the blogger with the boyfriend - I don't mind the odd post on insta here and there but it's getting pretty constant now.

misslt wrote: »
    See in a way I feel very sorry for those children, their entire lives are on the internet without their say so and who knows how they'll feel about it in years to come.

They actually live in the same town as me and a colleagues child is in the same class as one of them and was invited to a birthday party. I really wanted to ask if they'd asked the parents of the other children there permission to put their children on YouTube - I know if it was me and mine I wouldn't be happy.

Also getting a bit fed up of the blogger with the boyfriend - I don't mind the odd post on insta here and there but it's getting pretty constant now.

The worst is when they reference sexual innuendos to each other on camera... She's in her 30's and he's not far off, it's beyond cringy.

Siobhnk wrote: »

I started following her on snapchat today to see how often shes plugging the boyfriends business, everytime the camera was on her she had the voices and animal ears for some reason so I actually couldn't understand what she was saying - is this a constant thing or a one off? If it's always like that I'll unfollow her!

I understand bloggers using a beauty filter but why use one where it's impossible to understand her?! I just want to see how much she's plugging his business after all the talk!!

• Advertisement

New BF blogger won't let anyone forget she has a man now. I honestly thought he was her first ever BF as she features him so much, it's very much like a young teen showing off her first...

Advertisement