Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying For Sandhurst

• 10-01-2012 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

feeney92 wrote: »
    alri i just had a few questions you lads might be able to help me out with, preferably people who have served n the british army and were in the same shoes as me. im irish and im applying for sandhurst. ive heard a lot of "rumours" that the irish dont get treated very well in the british army, i will be applying for the royal irish and the irish gaurds...just wanted to get a few outside and unbiased opinions. my da thinks its great and obviously my mas tryna discourage me! sound lads!

Keep the head down, don't get involved in any political discussions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...ive heard a lot of "rumours" that the irish dont get treated very well in the british army...

the current Commanding Officer of 3(?) PARA is Irish, and a former member of the FCA.

Major General Arthur Denaro is Irish, he commanded an SAS sqn, commanded his Cavalry Regiment in the Gulf War, commanded 5 (Infantry) Division, and was Commandant the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

yes, you'll have an awful time.

why RIR /IG? you don't have to join an Irish regiment you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

I asked the R IRISH, they said 20% of themselves are from the ROI. A good idea would be to buy Callsign Hades by Patrick Bury, he was 100% Irish and went through sandhurst.. after passing, he was working alongside lads from the Shankill area. There's a few chapters on Sandhurst, the rest is a tour as an officer with Ranger Company. Best of luck lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

OS and Tac Foley are the men ya wanna be talking to.

I think SamuelFox went through Sandhurst recently enough? He pops in every now and again. May be worth throwing him a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

alri i just had a few questions you lads might be able to help me out with, preferably people who have served n the british army and were in the same shoes as me. im irish and im applying for sandhurst. ive heard a lot of "rumours" that the irish dont get treated very well in the british army, i will be applying for the royal irish and the irish gaurds...just wanted to get a few outside and unbiased opinions. my da thinks its great and obviously my mas tryna discourage me! sound lads!

Just some experience - when I went to the Army Careers Officer in NI, I was discouraged from applying to the Irish Guards and Cav (the RDG)- was asked "are you interested in discussing polo in the mess or have an uncle in the regiment" - if not, probably not your cup of tea is what I was told. Not too sure whether I was deemed "unsuitable" at a glance for such units, but the BA seem to place a greater emphasis on "fitting in" to a regiments ethos etc and the ACA didn't think I should bother.

Was interested in R Irish as well, told give it a go, but keep in mind its a single BN regiment and they can only offer a certain number of places every year. The Rifles and Royal Regiment of Scotland were "pushed" in my direction as being quite similar in "outlook" shall we say for infantry and the royal arty for supporting corps. I never pursued it any further though, so couldn't give you anything further, although they will pay for you to travel over and go and visit units to get a feel for what they are like, if you would like them and they would like you etc. There were also various corps days - such as Firepower Demos by the Infantry on Salisbury Plain etc.

The Army Careers Advisor stated that a high percentage of those he sponsored to the AOSB came from south of the border these days.

Best bet is to go to arrse.co.uk and ask over there and get in touch with the army careers officer in belfast if this is the route you want to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

You don't want to be applying for the Irish Guards.

More importantly, Sandhurst is "full" for the next three years. I suggest that if you are extremely keen then get to the Careers Office and get your AOSB done as soon as. I take it that as you are born in 92 and are in university, so you will want to get it done soon. You will want to very very fit and ready for the interviews/tasks also because it will be competitive due to the huge cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Being Irish makes no difference at all with your training or service. You will be treated exactly the same as everyone else unless you are either weak in certain areas or try and act the big man and know it all. These types get picked on no matter where they are from. Also the British Army sence of humour is unique and everyone will get some stick at some point but its not personal. You will be called Paddy, Mick or even Bogger. If your red headed expect to be called Ginger Mick or similar, if you stand out in any other way you will get called names. Its normal in the BA, you just suck it up and give it back.

Sandhurst also trains officers from many different countries so you would probably have Jamacan, Arab, African and even Asian candidates in your intake. They will get almost exactly the same treatment from the lads so you are not alone.

The Guard's are a unique element of the BA, they still hold onto their imperial regimental traditions which is why you got that responce. To be in the guards you really need to be invited and to have a second income as monthly mess bills can be higher than a LT monthly salary. You can still buy a commision into the guards which makes it very difficult to fail Sandhurst.

krissovo wrote: »
    ...To be in the guards you really need to be invited and to have a second income as monthly mess bills can be higher than a LT monthly salary. You can still buy a commision into the guards which makes it very difficult to fail Sandhurst.

sorry, but this is horribly incorrect - you've not been able to buy a Commision since the before the First World War, and a Guards officer does not need a second income to pay his way. there are some regiments - HCav for instance - where 'keeping up with the Jones's' could be a bit expensive for a young, impressionable officer, but i'm afraid the days of mess and social bills outstripping salary are long gone.

now, the rest of the Army may have a certain distain for the way the Household Division appears to do its Officer recruiting, but the actual facts are that a good candidate of zero means, but who 'fits into' a Guards regiment will be accepted, and he will not have social or career problems because of he doesn't own Yorkshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

There are 2 boardsies that went off to sandhurst last week. I'm sure when they get a second they will PM you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

OS119 wrote: »
    ...why RIR /IG? you don't have to join an Irish regiment you know...

I didn't.

It kept me out of looking for work for 32 years, 356 days.

tac

Ah, you WILL need to brush up on your, ahem, communication skills - especially in the written English department. Unless, of course, you're just trying to be 'one of the lads' here. The occasional use of capitals - where appropriate, as in Irish, British, I'm - will often work wonders.

In Sandhurst that will NOT work. Remember that many nations send their very best to the RMA - you'll be competing with them every day you are there.

Arrse is a great site for more up to date information, but be prepared to be slaughtered there. Don't worry, it's par for the course. Imagine being Canadian/Irish AND a red-head, AND Jewish AND left-handed. Couldn't be much worse, unless you're from Tallagh, too...

Good luck.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

sorry, but this is horribly incorrect - you've not been able to buy a Commision since the before the First World War, and a Guards officer does not need a second income to pay his way. there are some regiments - HCav for instance - where 'keeping up with the Jones's' could be a bit expensive for a young, impressionable officer, but i'm afraid the days of mess and social bills outstripping salary are long gone.

now, the rest of the Army may have a certain distain for the way the Household Division appears to do its Officer recruiting, but the actual facts are that a good candidate of zero means, but who 'fits into' a Guards regiment will be accepted, and he will not have social or career problems because of he doesn't own Yorkshire.

There was a very good TV show recently about sandhurst, it showed the candidates(who were already in sandhurst, almost finished training) being interviewed by their preferred regiment. The guy who got into Guards was a total waster, mé féiner as we call them here, but he knew the right people, and his family had a history there. Another girl(a bit of a hippie) was doing quite well, but an old soldier sitting quietly at the back of her interview meeting when it was over just said "no", and that was that.
    The regiment either wants you or it doesn't.

...The regiment either wants you or it doesn't.

absolutely, loathe as i am to justify anything that the HD does, the Regiment comes first - anything that doesn't fit into the ethos of a Regiment, and that would therefore affect its moralé and ability to fight, is a bad thing. i watched the same programme as you, and you can imagine my views on some of the sights we both saw and words we both heard, but i'm absolutely certain that the Regiment must be the final arbetor of who is going to fit in and who isn't.

i enjoy jumping on the outrage bus about 'fcuking donkey wallopers' as much as the next man, but the truth is that someone who went to a HD Regiment, but who didn't 'fit in', would not enjoy it, and would become very, very bitter.

fortunately, i went council - where i fit right in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

There was a very good TV show recently about sandhurst, it showed the candidates(who were already in sandhurst, almost finished training) being interviewed by their preferred regiment. The guy who got into Guards was a total waster, mé féiner as we call them here, but he knew the right people, and his family had a history there. Another girl(a bit of a hippie) was doing quite well, but an old soldier sitting quietly at the back of her interview meeting when it was over just said "no", and that was that.
    The regiment either wants you or it doesn't.

For anyone who wants to watch the show, it's called 'Sandhurst' and is available on bbc iPlayer (if you can get it). There was also a pretty decent thread discussing it not long ago here too. The guy who was a confirmed cadet for the Guards apparently got a sufficient motivational kick up the arse that in his second attempt he was "doing well" to quote the epilogue for the documentary series.

I'm near certain that I watched a documentary on Sandhurst years ago too; back in the mid-90s but for the life of me cannot find head nor tail of it so I'll chalk it all down to having an extremely vivid & inventive imagination as a teenager; that or I got dropped once too often ...

Lemming wrote: »
    ...I'm near certain that I watched a documentary on Sandhurst years ago too; back in the mid-90s but for the life of me cannot find head nor tail of it so I'll chalk it all down to having an extremely vivid & inventive imagination as a teenager; that or I got dropped once too often ...

Guns 'n Roses?

it was about girlies at the factory - that may have been the thing that piqued your teenage interest... the bloke in the last series was going to HCav - i've no idea if he eventually went there, or indeed even if he eventually commisioned - not Guards.

personally this is why i'm uncomfortable with the idea of these programmes - this officer is forever going to be 'that chodd off the TV', and he will have found the soldiers he's supposed to lead will have a pre-conceived view of him that will be difficult to shake off. doable in a garrison situation, impossible if he went straight off to Afghanistan and got 'dumped' on a Pln. having seen his 'exploits on TV, they would be straight off the CSM to say 'look, sorry, i'm not going to war with that bloke, he's going to get me killed'. the programme has put this bloke in an impossible situation, and i wouldn't be surprised if he left quite early because his career has been blighted as every unit he walks into is going to say 'oh yeah, that dishonest bloke off the TV'...

fitness is one thing - you can prove that in a morning, but he was cast as both dishonest and useless, and you can't disprove that very quickly.

fitness is one thing - you can prove that in a morning, but he was cast as both dishonest and useless, and you can't disprove that very quickly.

Yup - his file should have been stamped up - 'NWH' - 'Not wanted here'.

tac

the current Commanding Officer of 3(?) PARA is Irish, and a former member of the FCA.

Major General Arthur Denaro is Irish, he commanded an SAS sqn, commanded his Cavalry Regiment in the Gulf War, commanded 5 (Infantry) Division, and was Commandant the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

Don't forget Blair Mayne, either.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    I recall that candidate in the Sandhurst programme. He was a beaut and appeared convinced that he'd waltz right in. It's a shame that the girl didn't get the slot she wanted as she was a bright,keen type, well able to work and pull her weight. Still, the fact that the candidates still have to go for a "chat" with the senior blazers is so stone-age. Well, if a candidate doesn't want to twat about with the upper class types, he can always rough it with the common tradesmen of the REME or the RAF.
    You'd wonder how they engender so much loyalty.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there
    I recall that candidate in the Sandhurst programme. He was a beaut and appeared convinced that he'd waltz right in. It's a shame that the girl didn't get the slot she wanted as she was a bright,keen type, well able to work and pull her weight. Still, the fact that the candidates still have to go for a "chat" with the senior blazers is so stone-age. Well, if a candidate doesn't want to twat about with the upper class types, he can always rough it with the common tradesmen of the REME or the RAF.
    You'd wonder how they engender so much loyalty.

regards
    Stovepipe

I would guess that her diplomacy skills were considered non existant. That to me seems to be a big draw back for an officer.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    ...or the RAF...

oh good god no.

slumming it is the AGC or some dreadful northern (scouse) infantry regiments or the Pioneers - if a candidate wanted to wear white socks, slip-on shoes and grey, polyester trousers and be managed by people called Kevin, they would have gone to Sleaford tech.

or some other dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

To be in the guards you really need to be invited and to have a second income as monthly mess bills can be higher than a LT monthly salary. You can still buy a commision into the guards which makes it very difficult to fail Sandhurst.

Purchase of comissions ended in the early 1870s (can't remember the date).
    It's a job the same as anyone else's these days, but there does tend to be a higher proportion of wealthier officers and private school types than in the ranks. As you might expect. Education tends to favour the wealthy a little more than at home.

Did u get this info off a reliable source?? Because i was talking to a British Soldier on the website and he says the take on 800 Officers a Year and they take in 3 times Yearly, January May and September

both are true.

we've had very large numbers of good candidates, and we've got three years worth (ish) of candidates stacked up. however, people change their minds, they get injured, they find out about 3 PARA (Mortars) and they run for the hills - so places within those nine or so CC's will come up, some of which will go to people currently placed on later courses, and some will go to new applicants. so while the list is 'full', its always changing, and so its always worth applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

Should I apply just the once or the 3 times yearly do you reckon???

That's not how it works, you only apply once. If you're interested you'll get in touch with the careers office in Belfast and arrange an interview with the Army Careers Advisor (Officer) or simply ACA. He's a retired colonel but it's more a chat about the army, the application process and what arms you think you might like to join. If you're still interested he'll arrange for you to attend the Army Officer Selection Board (AOSB) Briefing. Pass that and you'll be invited to attend AOSB Main Board. Pass that and you've earned a place at Sandhurst. Throughout the process you'll also visit branches of the army you're interested in, these are called familiarisation (Fam) visits or potential officer (PO) visits. I haven't explained a lot of these terms or what they entail because frankly you can google them and find out for yourself. Also check out http://www.arrse.co.uk/
    he says the take on 800 Officers a Year and they take in 3 times Yearly, January May and September

The second part is correct but it's normally around 650 per year and the army is about to downsize by about a fifth so I imagine the amount of places at Sandhurst will decrease accordingly.

The second part is correct but it's normally around 650 per year and the army is about to downsize by about a fifth so I imagine the amount of places at Sandhurst will decrease accordingly.

Don't overlook that at least 20% of cadets are NOT British, but Commonwealth and other nations with whom UK has friendly ties. As these nations pay a LOT of ££££ to get their candidates up to snuff, and even more to pay their way through RMAS, I can't see the UK gubmint giving up on them - to the detriment of home-grown candidates.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Lemming wrote: »

I'm near certain that I watched a documentary on Sandhurst years ago too; back in the mid-90s but for the life of me cannot find head nor tail of it so I'll chalk it all down to having an extremely vivid & inventive imagination as a teenager; that or I got dropped once too often ...

Was it the one about women? One with short hair had massive lips and went on to join REME.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You can still buy a commision into the guards which makes it very difficult to fail Sandhurst.

Maybe I should explain better, if you have the money you can easily make the connections to get in whatever unit you want. The British Army may not receive the payment but candidate will get their shot at Sandhurst and provided they reach the minimum standard will join a regiment. To me this is buying a commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

That's not how it works, you only apply once. If you're interested you'll get in touch with the careers office in Belfast and arrange an interview with the Army Careers Advisor (Officer) or simply ACA. He's a retired colonel but it's more a chat about the army, the application process and what arms you think you might like to join. If you're still interested he'll arrange for you to attend the Army Officer Selection Board (AOSB) Briefing. Pass that and you'll be invited to attend AOSB Main Board. Pass that and you've earned a place at Sandhurst. Throughout the process you'll also visit branches of the army you're interested in, these are called familiarisation (Fam) visits or potential officer (PO) visits. I haven't explained a lot of these terms or what they entail because frankly you can google them and find out for yourself. Also check out http://www.arrse.co.uk/

What he said. Passing AOSB basically gives you a no obligations "Admit One into Royal Military Academy Sandhurst" ticket from the date you pass, until you reach the upper age limit, provided you can still meet the physical requirements when you enter. So you could pass AOSB in 2012 and go in 2014 or 2015 if your still eligible to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement