Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA. Finishing my 1 year FETAC course shortly..

• 25-04-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I'm just finishing up a 1-year Pre-Nursing course atm. I applied for Radiography in UCD as a MS and am now waiting for interview etc. I get the BTEA up until the end of May, which is when I told my local social welfare office I finish.

My question is once May is up, do I haveto go back to the local social welfare office and tell them I'm finished and signed on again? Do I need a letter to say I've completed the course?

Also, according to the BTEA guidelines, if you progress from 1 course to another - f.e a FETAC course to a Lvl 8 Undergrad degree - you get to continue on your undergrad course with your BTEA until you finish that course. Does anyone know how this works? I'm guessing when I fill out the form again if i get into UCD I just tell them in my form I'm progressing from a FETAC to a full degree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Amberjack

Hiya, I'm pretty much in the sme boat as you - finishing up my Fetac Level 5 course end of May and awaiting to hear if I've got accepted for some Level 7 & 8 course. So I'm interested to hear what people have to say about the Social Welfare etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

Yes to both questions, you have to go back to social welfare and sign on and you have to bring a confirmation letter from the course of your final date attending the course/final exam date. If you are available and looking for work during the summer you can sign on for jobseeker's benefit if you have the correct number of credits and if not then you will be subject to a means test for jobseeker's allowance. You can re-apply for BTEA for next September if the new course qualifies for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

Hi all
    I just finished FETAC level 5 course and from september 2010 I will start FETAC level 6 course and then I want go into 2nd year of degree.
    I was getting BTEA for my FETAC level 5 course and now Im working part time and getting Jobseeker Benefit. Will I qualify for BTEA for FETAC level 6 course? As I understand it is a higher level than level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

isabell wrote: »
    Hi all
    I just finished FETAC level 5 course and from september 2010 I will start FETAC level 6 course and then I want go into 2nd year of degree.
    I was getting BTEA for my FETAC level 5 course and now Im working part time and getting Jobseeker Benefit. Will I qualify for BTEA for FETAC level 6 course? As I understand it is a higher level than level 5?

Afaik, if you are in receipt of JSB and maintain this entitlement for the summer period and if the Level 6 is full-time then you should be eligible for BTEA.
    Look at http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/default.aspxfor more information on eligibility.

Advertisement