Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which lenses for Canon 500d?

• 09-07-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am getting a Canon EOS 500D to make a short film.

It comes with the kit lense 18-55mm.

But i have read that i should get a 50mm prime lense and possible a 24mm pancake also to cover low light situations and wide shots. plus the ability to get that Filmy Bokeh background blur effect

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Hello,

I am getting a Canon EOS 500D to make a short film.

It comes with the kit lense 18-55mm.

But i have read that i should get a 50mm prime lense and possible a 24mm pancake also to cover low light situations and wide shots. plus the ability to get that Filmy Bokeh background blur effect

Any advice would be appreciated.
    if you want film look you will need to shoot at 24fps and twice that in focal length. Having a big aperture for background blur means that in day time you may be over exposed and need a neutral density filter

I would say a prime 50mm lens with 24 or 25 fps would be good. Don't know how you would manage with a 24mm lens since half that would be 12 fps.

My understanding is there is more to a film look than above but i do ot uderstand it. Lots of editors have films look and ways to achieve it with colour grading etc but t is beyond me

24/25 fps and 50mm focal length and big aperture is a good start

Advertisement