Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Forge83

Would ye recommend the 6.5Kw Stanley Cara insert stove or should I go for the Stanley oisin 6.4kw freestanding. A lot of people telling me il get much better heat from oisin but surely the cara will have the room just as warm if nearly the same kw? The cara looks very nice and neat for a sitting room in an existing curved Lombard fireplace. any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Stanley-Cara-Insert-Stove-Non-Boiler/9042200?gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTdjMwWjGBUvejZGwNuB1Ru4g_Bts3YJldraqZ2wHdh9vQVpuAFOmnBoCig0QAvD_BwE

The Inset stove will heat just as well as the freestanding stove.
    However you may need an adapter plate to get it to fit with a curved Lombard cast iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Would ye recommend the 6.5Kw Stanley Cara insert stove or should I go for the Stanley oisin 6.4kw freestanding. A lot of people telling me il get much better heat from oisin but surely the cara will have the room just as warm if nearly the same kw? The cara looks very nice and neat for a sitting room in an existing curved Lombard fireplace. any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Stanley-Cara-Insert-Stove-Non-Boiler/9042200?gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTdjMwWjGBUvejZGwNuB1Ru4g_Bts3YJldraqZ2wHdh9vQVpuAFOmnBoCig0QAvD_BwE

Inset stoves can be poor.It depends on how and where they are installed.Sometimes the heat goes up the chimney or out through the wall or into the wall only to be released later when you don't want it,, and sometimes they will throw out great heat.There is a bit of a gamble with inset stoves.

A freestanding stove will not lose any heat and will definitely heat the room.I had oisin before and the only problem with it ,was my small room got too hot.
    insets look good but freestanding stoves heat better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I have the insert Cara outside air model. It takes it's time heating the room, but when it does it really does.

A fair bit of heat gets kicked up the chimney and into the brickwork too. It's no bad thing as when you come down the next morning the room is nice and snug still as all the heat is being released from the chimney breast.

That said your chimney isn't my chimney and how it behaves if you install one may well differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

Hi All, I’m looking for some advice on Stanley Solis. Considering installing the freestanding F900 ridge stove. Seems reasonably priced versus other room heaters. Anyone got one installed? Recommended? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FL11

upupup wrote: »
    The movement of hot water from the stove to the hot tank is called gravity circulation so any length of vertical distance will work but the futher you travel horizontally,the worse your system will be.
    There is no max distance as every house is different but if it does not circulate properly it may become dangerous and overheat as you can not turn off a stove quickly.

18 meters is a lot...1 or 2 meters is the preferred distance for a trouble free system

Hi upupup,
    I have a similar issue to above.
    Is there anything that can be to improve the system if the horizontal distance to the tank is considered too long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

FL11 wrote: »
    Hi upupup,
    I have a similar issue to above.
    Is there anything that can be to improve the system if the horizontal distance to the tank is considered too long?

Use the largest possible diameter pipe that the stove allows and instead of horizontal,give the horizontal run of pipes a slight rise.
    Don't use 90 degree bends..2@45 is better.
    There is lots of info on this site.https://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/connecting-a-wood-burning-stove-to-central-heating/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hi Guys,

Couple of questions, I have bought a new house that has a gas fire, thinking of replacing this with a stove (non boiler). I need to get a rgi in to remove the gas fire, the chimney is flued for solid fuel.

Is there much difference in the heat output from a insert stove verses a stand-alone stove?

Who would I get to check the chimney to ensure all is ok before install?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 greenbamboo

Hi all, I am currently putting a solis 9kw insert stove in. I have a wooden surround on my open fireplace. The clearance to combustibles on the manual says 250 mm away from sides but my clearance to the wood is 200mm. Would I get away with this or do I definitely have to change the wooden surround if im only 50mm off like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Was in the same position took a chance but the surround and the wooden mantle piece got much to hot for my liking... was always a source of concern .. Eventually replaced with marble...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Can anyone PM an installer for a boiler stove, heat genie(System Link)? Most plumbers I talk to won't touch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Can anyone PM an installer for a boiler stove, heat genie(System Link)? Most plumbers I talk to won't touch it
    Any particular reason why they won't touch it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Any particular reason why they won't touch it ?

Just havent found anyone that does them or is trained enough tk do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hi all, I am currently putting a solis 9kw insert stove in. I have a wooden surround on my open fireplace. The clearance to combustibles on the manual says 250 mm away from sides but my clearance to the wood is 200mm. Would I get away with this or do I definitely have to change the wooden surround if im only 50mm off like that?

i would change it, if anything happens, then your straight into trouble. for the sake of 1k, throw in a marble fireplace

The clearance distance is stated for a reason, you and your families safety.
    If you had a house fire your house insurance would be 100% invalid.
    You would get a new marble surround for €500-€600.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Have you 500mm of top?

DECLARATION OF PERFORMANCE
    (ln accordance with Annex lll of Regulation (EU) 305t2011)
    No.47
    1. ldentification code of Product type: SOlN900SE
    2. rype: STANLEY SOLIS INSET 900 WOOD BURNING STOVE
    3. lntended use of the construction product
    Space Heating in residential buildings with no supply of hot water.
    4. Name, contact address of the manufacturer
    Manufactured at, Unit 401-403, IDA lndustrial Estate, Cork Road, Waterford, lreland By Waterford Stanley part of the AGA RANGEMASTER group.
    5 Not applicable
    6. System 3 assessment and verification of constancy of performance.
    Product certified by:
    Rhein-Ruhr Feuerstdtten Pr0fstelle GmbH body no NB 1625 assessed the product against BS EN
    1 324 0 :200 I AC :20 06 I A2:20 0 4 I AC :20 07
    Performed under system 3 and issued test report no RRF - DF DP 17 4687
    9. Declared Performance
    Harmonized technical specification BS EN 13240:2001/AC:2006 &BS EN
    13240 200 | / A2 :200 4 I AC :2007
    Essential characteristics Performance (wood)
    Fire safety
    Reaction to fire A 1 A1
    Minimum distances, in mm
    Top 550
    Sides 250
    Front 1200
    Distance to combustible materials
    Risk of burning fuel falling out Pass
    Emission of combustible oroducts CO t 0.09 o/ol
    Surfacetemperature Pass
    Electricalsafety Pass
    Cleanability Pass Pass
    Maximum operating pressure N/A
    T [ 298'C]
    Mechanical resistance (to carry a
    chimney/ flue)
    Pass
    Thermal output
    Nominal heat output 9kw space
    Room heatinq output 9kw space
    Water heating output N/A
    Energy efficiency n 80 %l

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In the market for an outdoor log store and everything Im seeing from the log companies and DIY sheds are all open to the elements at the front. I get that the logs need air circulation but cant understand why they don't have doors to protect from the rain? Is there something Im missing here? Will have an indoor log store too but don't get the point of the outdoor ones that are on the market, especially if buying kiln dried wood as I plan to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just havent found anyone that does them or is trained enough tk do it

I put 2 in. Not too complex. Supply and return from stove. And supply and return out to existing heating circuit if there is one. Cold water supply to heat genie for the overheat scenario operated by probe in supply from stove. Pumps each side controlled by pipe start via system link controller if used. Relay lockout of existing boiler when stove pipe start closes. Fairly basic really.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Was wondering what think about potential carbon taxes and stoves .

Can imagine scenario where taxes are going to increase each year.

Looking to replace my open fire. Was going for insert stove , but don't know shud I concentrate on insulation instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

john_doe. wrote: »
    Was wondering what think about potential carbon taxes and stoves .

Can imagine scenario where taxes are going to increase each year.

Looking to replace my open fire. Was going for insert stove , but don't know shud I concentrate on insulation instead...
    I think they will ban stove sales, when is the question. I have 3 installed, bought the latest Jotul for a studio last year. I'd say go ahead with your plans but buy the one with the highest efficiency standard.

that would shut down a fair few businesses if they do ban them in time. Maybe be cities first.

coal prob be treated like cigarettes soon in budgets each year..

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    I think they will ban stove sales, when is the question. I have 3 installed, bought the latest Jotul for a studio last year. I'd say go ahead with your plans but buy the one with the highest efficiency standard.

Stoves will not be banned. This isn’t a communist country where legitimate products can be banned for sale.
    However solid fuel appliances can obviously be discouraged through taxing the fuel through carbon tax. The same can be said for oil boilers, diesel and petrol cars etc.
    Oil boilers and stoves will be discouraged massively in new build houses. Again if people want them, they can have them, but will cost them a lot of money to offset against the renewable energy required.
    if people choose to put them into their existing homes they can do so without any worry of a ban, however they should keep in mind that a wood burning stove version would be best as the carbon tax on coal/oil will be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How are stoves allowed to be used in built up areas and why does RTE promote their use on Eco Eye in built up areas where they hazardous for all living around them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,790 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How are stoves allowed to be used in built up areas and why does RTE promote their use on Eco Eye in built up areas where they hazardous for all living around them?

We were all being told to drive diesel cars by the same crowd also a few years back... hazardous to humans is not a consideration for them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Please! Stoves are not hazardous. The fuel used in them is. People burning coal, turf, rubbish etc. Dried fire wood is renewable and is the only fuel that should be used in them.

Forge just wondering do you burn hardwood in your stove at home? Im currently thinking of stocking up for winter and buying a 1.6m cubed bag of 80% ash 20% beech kiln dried down to 15% moisture. Price is €285 with delivery included.They also do 1m cubed bags for about €215. Is that price the ball park for kiln dried wood or is there better value out there?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Forge just wondering do you burn hardwood in your stove at home? Im currently thinking of stocking up for winter and buying a 1.6m cubed bag of 80% ash 20% beech kiln dried down to 15% moisture. Price is €285 with delivery included.They also do 1m cubed bags for about €215. Is that price the ball park for kiln dried wood or is there better value out there?

I wouldn’t be a wood expert. I know Cotter brothers firewood in Limerick are and have an active Facebook page for questions. They are members of WQFA Ireland who have members all over the country if you want to google the website.
    They are a lot more reasonable than buying imported wood and have a genuine high quality product.

Note to anyone reading- Always buy wood with a low moisture content. Most local fuels guys and garage forecourts sell absolute wet rubbish which is harmful to the environment, bad for your stove, your heat output and your pocket in the long run.

Thanks Forge, will check out Cotters and the WQFA website.

Looking for a good quality inset with a modern look, If any one has recommendations?

Also looking to get external air piped into the stove for combustion as planing on making some air tightness measures in the room.
    Can you do this with most insert stoves ?

The stovax Riva and the di luso look well, but not sure how they would perform.

My current fireplace is curved frame as per the attachment- not sure how this will be replaced.

Looking for a good quality inset with a modern look, If any one has recommendations?

Also looking to get external air piped into the stove for combustion as planing on making some air tightness measures in the room.
    Can you do this with most insert stoves ?

The stovax Riva and the di luso look well, but not sure how they would perform.

My current fireplace is curved frame as per the attachment- not sure how this will be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is there a list of HETAS(?) “approved” stove installers online anywhere, tia

Advertisement