Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I wouldn't call that a nothing match. If it was McFadden wouldn't have headbutted Reidy!

We talk about some of the young players that have come through this season for Ulster, but without question our most improved player by a mile is Dave Shanahan. I used to cringe at the sight of him coming on, now he clearly adds real value to the side when he plays.

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV: How in gods name have we gotten this far into McFarland's tenure without highlighting the fact that the word 'Farl' is in his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I can only assume Clancy didn't get a good view of it on the screen,

This is where you need the TMO to make the call,
    "There is a clear headbutt, for me that is a red card"
    a lot of the TMOs seem to be reluctant to make decisions.

Do we need a TV at the side of the field VAR style?

yerrahbah wrote: »
    I can only assume Clancy didn't get a good view of it on the screen,

This is where you need the TMO to make the call,
    "There is a clear headbutt, for me that is a red card"
    a lot of the TMOs seem to be reluctant to make decisions.

Do we need a TV at the side of the field VAR style?

The thing is the touch judge saw it. He called it to Clancy's attention. That's why Clancy went to the TMO in the first place. Surely if the touch judge is insistent that it was a headbutt he should take his word allied to the video evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The touch judge tells Clancy that the blue player led with his head. Of course Wiggam hasn't the gumption to listen to his touch judge and goes to a camera angle that may as well been filmed from Craigavon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

If we’re talking refs then it must be said that Joy Neville as AR was brilliant in the very same game. Clear, consistent and knowledgeable. It’s a disgrace that a well established bottler like Clancy keeps getting matches over someone like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stl.ire wrote: »
    If we’re talking refs then it must be said that Joy Neville as AR was brilliant in the very same game. Clear, consistent and knowledgeable. It’s a disgrace that a well established bottler like Clancy keeps getting matches over someone like her.

Hear! Hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thread title has to be "Stand up for the Mexicans"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

According to the Other Forum, Dalton is away to Oz to play rugby, organised by the IRFU.

Apparently McFarland rates him, so delighted if this is the case.

Also, this is what I miss from playing...

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1122203204752683009?s=19

According to the Other Forum, Dalton is away to Oz to play rugby, organised by the IRFU.

Apparently McFarland rates him, so delighted if this is the case.

Also, this is what I miss from playing...

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1122203204752683009?s=19

Dalton sounds like he needs to get out of his comfort zone, so a few months in Oz could be great for him.

Sounds as though Nagle is away, which is a shame, but realistically if we have Carter next season, plus Treadwell and O'Connor, and obviously Hendy, and remembering that Rea Snr can play second row, it's hard to justify a contract, especially if Dalton kicks on.

• Advertisement

Venjur wrote: »
    Ulster Team Talk Thread IV: How in gods name have we gotten this far into McFarland's tenure without highlighting the fact that the word 'Farl' is in his name.

Are you saying we should rename McFarland Soda?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV: Clancy us winning with thon ref

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ulster Team Talk Thread IV: Clancy us winning with thon ref

Ulster...Land of the Rising Pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Rumour some Academy spots were awarded today. When will UR post details?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rumour some Academy spots were awarded today. When will UR post details?
    Wont be for few weeks if not much longer. All provinces will have some spots decided and players told but wont be for few weeks at earliest for any official announcements

Ferg cited. If they find him guilty, that'll be him for a wee stretch. No good behaviour for him - think he's been banned a couple of times in the last few years?I

Better angle:

https://twitter.com/McKeown49/status/1122944478170497025?s=19

Three week ban for stamping in Jan 2016, three weeks in March that year for no arms tackle, against Connacht and Edinburgh respectively. To say nothing of his yellow cards.

Just a dirty player.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Three week ban for stamping in Jan 2016, three weeks in March that year for no arms tackle, against Connacht and Edinburgh respectively. To say nothing of his yellow cards.

Just a dirty player.

Yeah there certainly shouldn't be any reduction in sanction for good behaviour, as a Leinster fan Ferg is just idiotic at times. The only way it gets reduced is the whole pleading guilty thing, which is a bit absurd anyways.

Just a dirty player.

I'd say that's quite harsh. His ban for stamping never looked deliberate to me, careless but not deliberate.

There are many no arm tackles per match every weekend that go unpunished, I think that would register half the pro14 as dirty if it was the threshold.

As for the incident at the weekend I'm not sure what to make of it, it looks like it could be a headbutt but it also looks like it could be him sizing up to a taller player.

I wouldn't call him a dirty player. He's extremely physical and occasionally careless but dirty is probably a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah there certainly shouldn't be any reduction in sanction for good behaviour, as a Leinster fan Ferg is just idiotic at times. The only way it gets reduced is the whole pleading guilty thing, which is a bit absurd anyways.

He hasn't had a yellow card since 2016 according to Ultimate rugby.

• Advertisement

I'd say that's quite harsh. His ban for stamping never looked deliberate to me, careless but not deliberate.

There are many no arm tackles per match every weekend that go unpunished, I think that would register half the pro14 as dirty if it was the threshold.

As for the incident at the weekend I'm not sure what to make of it, it looks like it could be a headbutt but it also looks like it could be him sizing up to a taller player.

I wouldn't call him a dirty player. He's extremely physical and occasionally careless but dirty is probably a step too far.

I would agree. He is fearless but that head butt because he got his jersey pulled was ridiculous. He and Leinster were lucky that Major Clanger was the ref. It was idiotic for a senior player in a fairly unimportant game. If you accidentally make contact with an opponents head these days it's a red card as often as not. To do it deliberately should be a cert red. Given Ulster's experience at his hands in the past, I am sure if it had been Reidy on McFadden in the same circumstances, Clanger would have had the red card out in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

Wont be for few weeks if not much longer. All provinces will have some spots decided and players told but wont be for few weeks at earliest for any official announcements

Leinster usually announce theirs a few weeks after the 20s World Cup so I'd guess that Ulster would follow a similar timeline

I don't think so. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

If his bans were for taking out a player in the air, that would be one thing. Players get that wrong and refs (correctly) come down on it like a tonne of bricks. Balacoune has already had a ban for that, in his first season! But that's inexperience and bad timing from Robert, rather than anything malicious. Or tip tackles. Despite the roar that usually goes up when one happens, the majority of them tend to be misjudgement rather than viciousness - especially now teams are focussing so much on trying to get a second tackles to rip the ball in the tackle. With two tacklers pushing and pulling, tip tackles have become more common.

Andy Trimble was more physical than McFadden and a quick Google turns up no bans for him in his career, none for Tommy Bowe and two weeks for Keith Earls. McFadden already has six weeks, before anything comes of this alleged headbutt. I'm using wingers as they're more comparable than comparing him to back rows.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It was a headbutt, no question about it.

Ah come on Venjur. It was a headbutt. I don't really care if he is banned or not as it is of no benefit to Ulster. The fact he wasn't red carded annoys me more. To be fair Ulster have got lucky with Balacoune earlier in the season not getting a red against Munster, (although even then he got a yellow), so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

Edit - Reidy is a doubt for the Connacht game after failing an HIA. Was it the McFadden incident or did it happen afterwards, because he didn't go off for another 5 or so minutes. That said Clancy definitely asked him if he was on when giving the penalty against McFadden, but he may have been sarcastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That made me remember McFadden's no-arm shoulder charge recently that Nigel Owens got flustered about and actually gave Leinster the penalty as the other player reacted to the hit by dragging McFadden down on the ground, which he clarified by saying it was the later offence so therefore reversed the first penalty.
    I noticed a refereeing call at the weekend where Frank Murphy had a similar issue and he clearly stated that he was awarding the penalty against the worse offence, it sounded to me as if there had been a discussion between the refs about how those situations should be handled.
    I thought McFadden should have gotten a yellow card that day, it was a dirty clearout off the ball.
    Edit - it was the recent Pro14 drawn match against Benetton, few articles quoting the fact that Nigel Owens called it an "unlucky" clearout and didn't reverse the penalty.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

my first reaction to the citing was that there may not be a clear enough camera angle to prove contact....

but haven watched the blown up version of the available camera angle frame by frame there absolutely is contact between fergs head and the side of reidys face.

its a clear head butt, and i expect fergs ban to run into next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

bilston wrote:
    Edit - Reidy is a doubt for the Connacht game after failing an HIA. Was it the McFadden incident or did it happen afterwards, because he didn't go off for another 5 or so minutes. That said Clancy definitely asked him if he was on when giving the penalty against McFadden, but he may have been sarcastic!

Alan O'Connor's knee did the damage. Ferg is always an aggressive player but he should know better. After all the injuries he's had its a big kick in the teeth to probably be missing the final 2-3 games but it's self inflicted....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What impact does a 6 week ban have (if he gets one?) . Mcfadden is pretty far from the world cup squad, but I bet he was hoping to get one shot in the seconds at a world cup warm up game. Gone now surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

awec wrote: »
    It was a headbutt, no question about it.

#mediumforce

Advertisement