Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

But...... Fancies :(!!!

Seriously though congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

if you accept a round 1 offer does it rule you out of receiving a round 2 offer ? I didnt get my 1st choice in round 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

if you accept a round 1 offer does it rule you out of receiving a round 2 offer ? I didnt get my 1st choice in round 1.

No, you can still be offered a higher choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Hey everyone just dropped by to say that I got offered a place ITT for a level 8 in Social Care Practice. I am delighted, I had a few rejections during the interview process and not making the short list, but I got something in the head.

Wishing all the matures here all the best in their new/current study's :)
    Hey just wondering how you're finding it as a maturie, have you joined the mature society there? I was thinking about it myself opted against. Started in September myself. Exams in a few days time but it's going well overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

There's a "Non Standard Entry/Progression Workshop" being held in UCD on March 11, by the School of Agriculture and Food Science. Has anyone attended this in the past, and did they find it useful? Anyone going this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Am I right in saying there's a current DCU science first year mature student on boards?

Or any first year DCU science student particularly in AS.

If so could they give me a shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's been a while since I posted about my course.

I've now finished second year of my Social Care course and my exams are due to be released tomorrow at 2pm.

We only had one set of exams this year due to having a placement from November-February which means we don't have Christmas exams.

Bit of an odd time to be having placements when you have to try and memorise everything from pre-placement and take on board new things post-placement.

Very difficult to try and get back into college life when placement was so enjoyable. When you're in a social care environment that requires flexibility and spontaneity, it's difficult to land back into a very rigid routine.

Got there in the end and had 6 exams.

I *think* 4 were pretty decent, 1 a little bit dodgy and 1 a complete disaster. Regards the disastrous exam, I had a very good CA mark going into the exam and only needed 12 marks.

The paper threw a lot of people, including me so I feel it's going to be touch and go.

I may pass by compensation but I'm sure I'll post my results here tomorrow anyway.

Passed everything. I'm absolutely thrilled. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

That_Guy wrote: »
    Passed everything. I'm absolutely thrilled. :D

Congrats.
    I dont get my results until next week :(

That_Guy wrote: »
    So I'm in the middle of exams and the very end of semester 1 is in sight and I'm loving my course so far.

Bit of background. I had been applying for social care courses for the last two years with no luck and so had to really bulk up my application so began doing voluntary work with CASA who gave me a really good reference.

After a nervy wait for CAO offers, I accepted Blanchardstown's course and I couldn't be happier.

Have met some great people and have done quite well with course work and am *hopefully* doing well in my exams thus far.

Seriously well worth the wait getting in. It's easy to feel like shít when you don't get accepted the first time and the anxious few months of agonizing wait can be a long one but it gives you plenty of time to assess where you can improve on your application.

:)

Funny looking back at these earlier posts.

I'm now studying for my final exams in college. In a little under 3 weeks I'll be finished my 3 year social care degree. :)

• Advertisement

Come 2:30pm tomorrow I'll have completed my three years in social care in ITB.

I'll have fond memories and less fond memories but I'm looking forward to just being done.

Ultimately it was a good course and I enjoyed it for the most part. It's a shame that for so long we didn't have a course coordinator for the Humanities section in our college.

Since we got one though, there was a bit of a mess in terms of transition and as a result our final semester was a bit all over the place.

He talks a good game and I'm sure future students and students behind us will benefit from having him in there. He talks a good game and has structured the course well for next year.

Matter of timing with these things but I have no regrets about doing this course and I'd highly recommend it to anybody.

Looking forward to taking a solid two weeks off, refresh the brain and go job hunting in the big bad world.

:)

3 years later...

I'm officially a qualifed social care worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Just graduated Monday from the IPA with 2:1 Diploma in Computer Studies but still haven't decided where I'm doing my degree (DCU or Open University) and I am bricking at the thought of starting it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Hey guys, I'm just wondering when do we get all the info packs for our courses. I want to get everything I need together early.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

Orla K wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm just wondering when do we get all the info packs for our courses. I want to get everything I need together early.

I'd actually love to know that too.. Was hoping it would be soon.. I'm for UCC..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say they send them all out together, when the LC applicants have got their places.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

spurious wrote: »
    I would say they send them all out together, when the LC applicants have got their places.

I'd imagine they will be out before then as the offers for leaving Certs come out on August 22nd but UCC mature students register August 26th according to the website..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

I am probably being a bit of a moaning Myrtle here - but why can't indicative college timetables be released sooner than the first day back? It is so hard to try and arrange childcare and not mess your minder around when you have to be so vague - probably 25 hours but no idea how they'll be spread across the week.

On a more positive note, I am looking forward to going back and getting "me time" and mental stimulation outside the house (yes, now college, cooking and laundry count as precious me time!). It has been great to have the summer to bond with my 7 month old and see her develop, but I'm ready to hit the books now. Roll on third year!

Graduated there last week with a level 7 in Social Care. That 3 years absolutely flew in and was worth the highs and excruciating lows.

Employed in my field with a view to moving to Toronto in the next 18 months or so.

Greatest thing I've ever done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

First semester finished. All my assignments handed in :D. Now a two week wait for my first exam, so will spend one week binging on tv/ps4 and then study like a lunatic for the next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jungatheart

Anyone know what's best way to judge how you are doing in a course, i'm back at college after almost 25 years doing a masters. i had previously done a diploma in an it many many moons ago and this is a university masters and whilst initially i was like wtf am i doing here ?! I've settled in well enough and have just finished my first semester, i'm doing the masters part time over two years, so i'm doing four modules this year and two next year and a thesis. I think the overall marks are 3/9 for thesis and 1/9 for marks in each module. so i've just gotten marks for my first three modules and i got 73 in one [which i surprised cause i thought that was weakest one], 68 in another and 67 in another so so far it's an average of 69.3 which is kinda meh 'cause it's good but it's just a whisker away from a first in overall scores. if it kept up this way, i wonder what they do in cases like that where it's so close yet so far and it's gas 'cause before i met lecturers, i was thinking i'd done really badly and then wasn't sure if an average of 69 was good, bad or indifferent as university is so different but they both said the work was really good but i'm just confused myself as to what the standard is and how best to judge it myself and damn it, how to get my average up to just the 70 would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SUSI application renewals are open today, just FYI!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Hi there,

Could you tell me what type of questions you were asked in the interview for TCD as I’m preparing for it at the min.

Also did you have a medical/science background?

Thank you 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Came across this thread as I'm looking to hear how other mature are finding college ....

I feel I'm struggling. I like my course theres 2 subjects were doing that dont have alot to do with the course but I'm so scared I'll fail these and repeat cause I cant get my head around them and have zero interest.

Im 10yrs older than most of the others on my course. All females. Theres so little interaction between us its at a stage where its painful. Its a generational thing , but their constantly on their phones, dont make much effort to even say hi or get to know one another. There are 3 or 4 that will talk away but its just so ....depressing. Our head tutor even sent an email out to everyone saying how other tutors notice it and want us to make an effort with one another but its hard when u get nothing back.

We got split into groups for a group project. Whats app group set up, I suggested we all give an idea what to do our project on n all take a vote. 2 girls said there not fussed what we do it on and the other hasnt contributed. This is due at the end of the week and still nothing has been decided. Its so annoying I feel like im working with a group of school kids that have zero interest.

I was working at the weekends and now the hours are cut as its seasonal. My maintenance from susi doesnt cover all my rent let alone food and petrol.

Everything feels so ****. How have others managed? Has anyone had the same experience with their class? Its been 7weeks and im getting down how crap our class is. The 3 r 4 girls that do chat said the same. Maybe its all a sign of the times and the way things are now with so much distraction social media has caused.

Rant and cry over.

Advertisement