Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

docrock wrote: »
    I dont know where or how I gathered the energy to get home, it was all the Halloweens that I've ever had rolled up into one - a complete hightmare. I came around the never ending corner of Trinity college on fumes & that last run up towards the finish must be the longest finish of all times at I thought I'd never get there - BUT I DID. I have never in my life felt as bad & I have never in my life put my body or mind through something as tough as those last 4 miles - but I'm living to tell the tale & they say what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The last miles are mostly a blank but as someone said in an earlier post your mind has strange ways of blanking out some things. I cant thank the crowds enough for getting me through those last few miles

I felt as though I was going to throw up from about mile 22 & that feeling didnt go away for about 2 hrs after the finish - as I said above I took myself & my body to somewhere that I have never been before -fair enough I have never ran 26 miles either but I was at the bottom of the well for a long time but I survived.

When I crossed the finish line I was empty, I'd nothing left to give & I couldn't have ran it any quicker.
    Will I do another one - I dont know at the moment. My legs are too sore to make a decision but I know that I'm going to keep running to keep up the fitness & keep my weight in check.
    What have I learned from the experience:
    • You need a running buddy for the LSR's
    • You don't need an iPod to keep going when the going gets tough
    • Dublin people are fantastic, I couldn't say enough about them the support was unbelievable
    • Put your name on your bib or number no matter how you feel about doing it.
    • Do your LSR slower than slow & realise why you are doing them that slow because in a marathon you will be out there that long.
    • Don't go out too fast no matter how good you feel - take note for anyone reading this next year - I was great & crusing after 19, good after 20,struggling by 21 & nearly dead at 22!!!

Docrock, you must have ran my race too! I couldn't have said any of your words above any better to describe my experience! Well done man!

It's only really starting to dawn on me today what I achieved on Monday.

I will never forget this experience as long as I live!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Walkedit wrote: »
    ah that makes sense
    are you keeping the watch? :-)
    I think I'll have to give it back this evening :(
    My own is good enough for a half-marathon, and that's all I've scheduled for the moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

There has been thanks through the reports but can you just thank this post to give Younganne a round of applause, cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

I think I'll have to give it back this evening :(
    My own is good enough for a half-marathon, and that's all I've scheduled for the moment! :)

maybe u will be on Santas list?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Hi guys - totally off topic but need to replace runners before I start back and was wondering would anyone recommend best place to get gait analysis? Live in Midlands so will have to travel. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Willie42 wrote: »
    Hi guys - totally off topic but need to replace runners before I start back and was wondering would anyone recommend best place to get gait analysis? Live in Midlands so will have to travel. Thanks

Only have experience of Amphibian King but it was top class. Stores in Ballymount and Galway are prob least inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Willie42 wrote: »

Runways in Parnell St in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There has been thanks through the reports but can you just thank this post to give Younganne a round of applause, cheers.:)

Thank you to each and everyone of you too, you made it very easy for me!!! and to all my sidekicks;) thank you too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Haven't posted enough to press thanks so will just say it here - big thanks Younganne from me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

npresto wrote: »
    Docrock, you must have ran my race too! I couldn't have said any of your words above any better to describe my experience! Well done man!

It's only really starting to dawn on me today what I achieved on Monday.

I will never forget this experience as long as I live!

I will never forget it either plus theres a few people that I will keep reminding of it too;);)

Just looking back in the cold light of day, there was a lot of people struggling in the last 4 miles so we werent alone on that score.You cant beat experience & we got some lesson on Monday.As you say its some achievement & its only really sinking in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

The pacers are all boardsies!

Kandikane, Oisin11178, Breffni Blue and Runningcoach all paced 4 hours.

Ah yeah , one of them squirted me with water , after I yelled "Ah here , leave it out!!!" when they were acting the maggots having water fights between them... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Just looking back in the cold light of day, there was a lot of people struggling in the last 4 miles so we werent alone on that score.You cant beat experience & we got some lesson on Monday.As you say its some achievement & its only really sinking in now.

+1

Really struggled on last 4 miles too, which put an ever so slight downer on the experience for me that i didnt finish strong. That said it will just motivate me to come back stronger the next time and deal with this unfinished business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

The pacers are all boardsies!

Kandikane, Oisin11178, Breffni Blue and Runningcoach all paced 4 hours.

I was speakin go Breffni on Monday and it was his 57th Marathon!!!!! To his credit he didn't look old enough to have done so many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

LarMan wrote: »
    I was speakin go Breffni on Monday and it was his 57th Marathon!!!!! To his credit he didn't look old enough to have done so many

That's because he does one every week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Right. Better get on with this!

Target: 4:30
    Time: 4:38

I'm a marathoner. Yay!

Had a great day. Really really enjoyed it. Got the DART in the morning and made a beeline for the toilets in Pearse Station, thinking that no one would have such a clever plan - I was wrong :/ Headed on up to Merrion Square withe earphones in and some blood-pumping tunes. That really got me in the mood! I knew I'd have to empty the tank (and the other tank!) so decided to queue up for the toilets. I expected a long wait so wasn't really bothered....but it was 50 minutes I would have preferred to do something else with. (Just an observation - but maybe organisers could have 2-3 stewards patrolling the toilet area and ensuring proper q etiquette etc....no biggie, but I'd say a bit of enforcement would make it run smoother).

So!

Lined up in last wave, about 50 metres behind 4:30 pacers and off I went! First mile was a bit chaotic but was expected - about 10:35 - so over my mile target but knew could easily be made up in next few miles....and it was....

Felt strong in early miles and was trying to keep 10 min/mi even....this brought me a bit ahead of the pacers but tbh I preferred it as it was a bit too busy for my liking among them...Felt cold throughout the race despite wearing an undershirt...but was thanking the heavens it wasn't raining. Rain in that cold would have been dreadful. Throughout the race I kept remembering people on here saying to enjoy my first marathon, and I did. I consciously tried to smile, soak it in, laugh at the signs, say thanks to spectators, high-5 kids (and adults!) and generally keep my spirits up for the whole thing.....

In terms of timing, all was going well up until mile 18 where I slowed down dramatically. I kinda knew this was going to happen as it had happened in Athlone (but that was at 15/16 - so, progress!). My knees got sore..which never happens and my legs felt like lead...Slowed down to about 12 min/mi which I then tried to maintain for the rest of the race....if not speed up at the end. So, from 18 to around 22 I felt awful, physically and mentally....And it was at about 22 where the 4:30 ship had sailed and I accepted it....This was brilliant though, as I wasn't pissed off knowing that I was gonna come in over time...in a way it set my free...and my miles sped up to the dizzy heights of 11 min/mi!!

From 22 on I just got that quick - coming back into the city was brilliant and i saw different members of my family at different points...that helped a lot. Running down Westland Row, Pearse Street, College Green, Nassau Street and back to Merrion Square was special...I went to college there and have spent so much of my life around that area of Dublin....In my mind running around there I was the only one on the road and ALL of the crowds were for me....Felt great! I also loved the fact that the sun began to shine for the just as I was coming to the last two miles...was a beautiful, crisp, autumn afternoon!

And then I went down the finishing straight with a big huge smile on my face (just checked my video - I can confirm this is true!)...COULD NOT HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT MISSING MY TARGET TIME AT THAT MOMENT! Which surprised me!

I suppose I'm happy with my performance as I honestly think it's an accurate reflection of where I'm at, despite my shorter distances suggesting faster times.

So what have I learned:

Running is deadly and I'm defo keeping it up for life.
    Running slower for longer, makes you run faster for shorter! ...Like, WTF?!
    ANYONE can run a marathon. ALL it is is discipline and doing the training.

What would I do differently:

Messed up a few weeks training near the tail end so obv would have prefered not to.
    People can disagree with me here, but I felt that 1 20 miler isn't enough. If I was talking to myself 3 months ago I'd amend my programme to incorporate two 20s.
    As well as that, I think when I train for my next I'm going to incorporate one 22/23 mile. I know there may not be a physical benefit, but I really think it would improve my confidence prior to the big day.

What I'm doing next:

Learning to swim properly (i.e how to do lengths). Think it would benefit me hugely.
    After recovery am doing a new type of training that focuses more on speed - interval/fartlek/tempo/3-1.
    Next targets are Aware 10k in December - think I might be able to go sub 50 for this....would be a great Xmas present! Then Raheny 5 mile in January...might be able to go sub 40 for this....Then a spring/summer marathon - Connemara, Paris or Belfast most likely.....target being sub 4 hours!

So, I'm hooked. :)

One final thank you to all on this thread. There's no need for (user)names! I've lost weight, got fitter, had fun, become more disciplined, got a new hobby/obsession and am raring for new challenges. I really hope this thread and its users remain active as a group - logs are great but the support of a group orientated thread where no question is too stupid and there's good banter and support is invaluable...It sounds trite, but I wouldn't have done the marathon without this thread. So thanks to all. :)

Jaysis. Sorry about the length!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Which one was Breffni? I really only spoke to Kandikane a couple of times. Jesus, 57 marathons, that's incredible!

ncmc wrote: »
    Which one was Breffni? I really only spoke to Kandikane a couple of times. Jesus, 57 marathons, that's incredible!

He had tattoos on his leg

One thing I regret is not trying to meet up with the others from boards who were trying to run under 4 hours, even though I was probably running right next to some of you, for the most part I ran the race alone, I got to talk to one other guy for a few minutes and I think it would have helped to have been running with those who had the same goal, I still don't think I would have made sub 4 but I think I would have gotten closer to it if I had had some 'Friends' to run with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »

Breffni would have been the Big lad (no they were all big :D) with the orange Shirt and Tattoos. He did over 100 miles on the 24hr Track race in belfast in the summer and then ran the Connemara 100mile race in 22hours a fortnight later. The very next week he ran 2 marathons in 2 days, the second one in 3:29 :eek:

I think Oisin and Tom (running coach) (two of the other 4hr pacers) are on well over 50 marathons as well Oisin has done 30+ this year already...They are all in the 100 Marathon club and trying to clock up the century as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

One thing I regret is not trying to meet up with the others from boards who were trying to run under 4 hours, even though I was probably running right next to some of you, for the most part I ran the race alone, I got to talk to one other guy for a few minutes and I think it would have helped to have been running with those who had the same goal, I still don't think I would have made sub 4 but I think I would have gotten closer to it if I had had some 'Friends' to run with
    I'm the same LarMan, I was running right beside loads of people from this thread and didn't get to meet any of them. Stupidly, I assumed i'd just 'run into them' not literally of course :D but I think in future, i'd try and have a concrete plan in place to meet people.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Breffni would have been the Big lad (no they were all big :D) with the orange Shirt and Tattoos. He did over 100 miles on the 24hr Track race in belfast in the summer and then ran the Connemara 100mile race in 22hours a fortnight later. The very next week he ran 2 marathons in 2 days, the second one in 3:29 eek.png

I think Oisin and Tom (running coach) (two of the other 4hr pacers) are on well over 50 marathons as well Oisin has done 30+ this year already...They are all in the 100 Marathon club and trying to clock up the century as soon as possible.
    I know who you were talking about now, he seemed crazy, that just proves it! He is also the winner of the rudest jokes prize :D

Seriously though, those guys are a serious inspiration. Amazing sportsmen one and all, and great craic to boot!

• Advertisement

+1 on that LarMan - are you my twin by any chance:DI think we almost mirrored each other on Monday.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Breffni would have been the Big lad (no they were all big :D) with the orange Shirt and Tattoos. He did over 100 miles on the 24hr Track race in belfast in the summer and then ran the Connemara 100mile race in 22hours a fortnight later. The very next week he ran 2 marathons in 2 days, the second one in 3:29 :eek:

Its nice to know that I was running in elite company for a while:D:DJesus it wasnt knocking a stirr out of them, fair play to them youd know they were serious runners in fairness.

Ha! how wrecked do I look! I remember that, saw a camera and said "this is my opportunity' Good stuff Dilbert! Thanks

Jesus Killian, youve lost some weight since you started on OT, how much have you lost since the start of that??

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

@ Shortiechik I was delighted to see your report, when there was no sign of it I was worried that something had happened to you after I passed. You didn't look in any trouble when I saw you. You were in your own nice groove. Good running, I'm glad you had a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Finally got to see my video on the results site.

My rather sly tactic of making sure I was running for the approach and passing of all camera sections means I look like I was in good shape all the way round (even passing people out too) :D

Was great to see myself and the little one hand in hand through the finish section too. Great memories. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

@ Fifi and Shortiechik we're on page 2 of FIT magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Ah yeah , one of them squirted me with water , after I yelled "Ah here , leave it out!!!" when they were acting the maggots having water fights between them... :p
    Who were the five hour pacers ? Are they from boards too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Wow I made the mistake of trying to read through all of the pages I had missed before writing my race report but every time I logged on there were too many pages to read so never got round to writing! Some brilliant runningand reports tho, congratulations to all!

Had a really great day, despite fading at the end and missing my target. Got into town about 8.15, baggage, bathroom, etc, etc and lined up just behind the 4hr pacers! Thought the start was so funny with all the raining clothes. One poor woman took a rolled up black bag right in the face, she was not impressed! Set off in a nice rhythm, a few slow corners in the first mile alright but feeling good and loose and really enjoying the atmosphere. By the phoenix park had caught up with the pacers, some really good banter, hilarious when one of them nipped off for a pit stop to a chorus of cheers!! The park was great and then from Chapelizod on the crowds and support were amazing. Did anyone see the 11850 guys somewhere around Kilmainham I think?? Saw the walk of shame girls as well, too funny. They also got a fair bit of stick form the runners! Oh and the eucalayle singing couple who popped up all over the place were just bizarre

Anyway, back to the running!! Felt absolutely brilliant for the first half, was concentrating on running relaxed and enjoying it all. Was just ahead of the pacers from mile 10 to halfway. Started to feel the pressure a bit by mile 14 tho, everything suddenly got harder. I am from Templeogue so had a fair few friends and family to look out for here so tried to look like it wasn’t hurting (don’t think I succeeded!) Chatted briefly to Denis (I think?) on Fortfield road, asked me if I was a Boardsie cos of my name on my t-shirt. Didn’t get your username tho! Anyway, apologies for not being better company, I was battling inner demons at that stage, trying not to slow too much and looking out for family. You looked in great shape at that stage and pulled away from me pretty quickly. In hindsight I definitely should have tried to have a proper chat and run with you for a bit, it might have given me a second wind.

Struggled on with the pacers still in sight till mile 18 then I took another gel and got the worst stomach cramp that caused me to stop and walk doubled over for a minute or two. And after that I never really got going again properly. My left cramped at mile 19 so I had to stop and stretch. And after that I ran/walked the rest of the way. My head had gone by that stage. I definitely should have walked less than I did, so a little bit annoyed with myself, altho I missed a fair chunk of training through injury as well so it was physical as well as mental. And I got the worst leg cramps on the way around Trinity college. Ran the last 800 metres in the straight leg shuffle. If I speed up I’ll cramp, if I slow down I’ll cramp but if I just keep going I thinkI’ll be ok!!

Amazing feeling to finish, the crowds in town the last few miles were phenomenal, was surprised at how emotional I felt. Not too disappointed about missing my time, I know the miles were just not in the legs, but I do need to work on my head as well. I’ll get there! And had a brilliant day after. Great to meet a few of you briefly in McGrattans as well. But I’m guessing from the world of hurt I was in on Tuesday that drinking pints all day isn’t ideal post-marathon recovery. Only feel normal again today.

Was my second marathon and was very similar to last year in that I aimed for 4 and faded late on. Last year the fatal mistake I made was hardly doing any running from the day of the marathon until I started training for this one back in June! I should have been far fitter and ready than I was last year, and I definitely wasn’t. Don’t do that!! Really felt like I was starting from zero again in June…….. Now to listen to my own advice and go sub 4 in 2013!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Right. Better get on with this!

One final thank you to all on this thread. There's no need for (user)names! I've lost weight, got fitter, had fun, become more disciplined, got a new hobby/obsession and am raring for new challenges. I really hope this thread and its users remain active as a group - logs are great but the support of a group orientated thread where no question is too stupid and there's good banter and support is invaluable...It sounds trite, but I wouldn't have done the marathon without this thread. So thanks to all. :)

Ditto to all of that! Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Jesus Killian, youve lost some weight since you started on OT, how much have you lost since the start of that??

Thanks, 5 1/2 stone to date. kind of happy where I am now, maybe a half more to go, but not really 'trying', if it happens it happens. :)

Advertisement