Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir's Mismanagement re: Fibre

• 23-05-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So we switched from our broadband and phone budnle to the gigabit fibre three months ago. We had two separate engineers come to the house to install the fibre but couldn't due to work needing to be carried out on the civil property. The first engineer coming was udnerstandable, but sending a second one to do the same work was a bit of a joke.
    Cue calling the fulfilment team every few days for an update, from which they gave me a forecast date of this week (three month), despite constant reminders that we have a household where people required an active and stable connection to attend class and to work from home.

Despite being told one story for at least two months, about how Eir coming out to fix a propblem wiht our active connection would expedite the fibre order, we were rudely told otherwise on an hour-long phonecall in which the agent named Brian told me that "nobody here is asking you to call us all the time".
    Since then, I found out that my uncle had fibre installed to his home in a process spanning three weeks from query to installation, and here we are three months later, past our forecast date. Eir's agents told us they'd ring "if" they had an update.
    We've been loyal customers for +10 years and to be treated like this is absolutely astonishing. I personally had to move away from the house for a few weeks to where I could use a reliable connection, despite having high-risk patients in the home. Not only that, but our new fibre bill actually works out cheaper than our old broadband bundle - meaning that every extra day that Eir takes to carry out work which several agents had told me would be done within a week, is costing us money!

I am genuinely so sick of their service, and would have jumped ship months ago except I know OpenEir hold the contract for civil installations an yway, so I figured we'd be waiting even longer again with another provider.
    Absolutely shocking service, promising things and then failing to deliver, with no remorse shown whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donoghh

Also forgot to mention that in the meantime, our bundle that's costing us over eighty euro a month has a broadband connection that frequently drops below 1mb/s download. Sick of Eir!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

EIR are famous for this, that's what happens when you let one company have a monopoly on the infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

I ordered FTTH in June 2019, I have only got installed 1 month ago, I was waiting for work to be completed outside my property, this work can take some time as they have to get licences granted to do any work, I had 4 forecast dates come and go until I finally got it done, partially due to me put pressure on the county council, and TD's to find out what the hold up was, once I started turning the heat up I did get somewhere and the licence was granted so EIR could complete the work necessary, my advice is contact your local county council to see if a licence application was put forward from KN Networks who are responsible for carrying out the work required. then get onto your Local TD and ask them to raise a query through the EIR contact in the DAIL. this i believe will speed up your connection getting installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

It requires a permit from council to do works on public lands. Chase up with council or kn networks.
    There is no preference between providers and it doesn't matter who your with its the same process for fibre.
    Be warned though
    If you do change your order while waiting your current order will be cancelled and you'll be back to square 1 as there will no longer be an order in play with a civil request done on it.
    Source
    I work on the network

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It requires a permit from council to do works on public lands. Chase up with council or kn networks.
    There is no preference between providers and it doesn't matter who your with its the same process for fibre.
    Be warned though
    If you do change your order while waiting your current order will be cancelled and you'll be back to square 1 as there will no longer be an order in play with a civil request done on it.
    Source
    I work on the network

We were told from the outset that all that was need to be done was the installation of a dp/ junction box on an already erected telephone pole. The nearest other fibre box is about 100 metres, just down the road - is planning permission still required for that?

• Advertisement

A+-Guru wrote: »
    I ordered FTTH in June 2019, I have only got installed 1 month ago, I was waiting for work to be completed outside my property, this work can take some time as they have to get licences granted to do any work, I had 4 forecast dates come and go until I finally got it done, partially due to me put pressure on the county council, and TD's to find out what the hold up was, once I started turning the heat up I did get somewhere and the licence was granted so EIR could complete the work necessary, my advice is contact your local county council to see if a licence application was put forward from KN Networks who are responsible for carrying out the work required. then get onto your Local TD and ask them to raise a query through the EIR contact in the DAIL. this i believe will speed up your connection getting installed.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll definitely follow up with the local council. And you’ve been waiting since June 2019? You’re a cooler person than I am, I’d be driven insane by that point.

yup just shy of 1 year waiting :/ I only turned the heat up and start making noise 1 month before the work was completed, so it must have helped

Is this fibre or copper?
    Was a fibre dp supposed to be there, kn have no authority to put fibre dps wherever this would have all been organised by openeir planning before the first one appeared on your road. So if there was supposed to be one there but it's not there then yes they would have to come out and fit it as somebody evidently skipped it or forgot. But they don't appear on request where wanted.
    Sounds like you may be talking about copper as they can request for a 10 pair to be jointed and dp fitted.
    For them to cut into and joint up a 31a Neptune (black wavin end cap) then probably running a 10 pair out and sticking a krone block or bt block on. No permit would be required for that.
    What are you getting ADSL VDSL evdsl or ftth as some providers call all 3 fibre cause they're at best misleading and clueless and at worst downright dishonest.

Is this fibre or copper?
    Was a fibre dp supposed to be there, kn have no authority to put fibre dps wherever this would have all been organised by openeir planning before the first one appeared on your road. So if there was supposed to be one there but it's not there then yes they would have to come out and fit it as somebody evidently skipped it or forgot. But they don't appear on request where wanted.
    Sounds like you may be talking about copper as they can request for a 10 pair to be jointed and dp fitted.
    For them to cut into and joint up a 31a Neptune (black wavin end cap) then probably running a 10 pair out and sticking a krone block or bt block on. No permit would be required for that.
    What are you getting ADSL VDSL evdsl or ftth as some providers call all 3 fibre cause they're at best misleading and clueless and at worst downright dishonest.
    It's fibre, as far as I'm aware! A dp is to be fitted on a pole the house over from us - a circle of black wires has been hanging there from the first callout as an indication of where it needs to go. We signed up for the gigabit fibre broadband - the fastest available - so I would assume it's ftth? Genuinely not sure though. I had thought that it was set to come in through an overhead line, but this period of waiting would more than likely suggest it's going to be put in through a duct then, no?
    I'm lost in all of this tbh as we've had KN and OpenEir technicians come out to tell us that the other one needs to do the job at hand before they can start.

Gigabit is only FTTH, time for you to turn the heat up ;) get onto the TD and request they query the install through the dedicated line through the Dail.

• Advertisement

Donoghh wrote: »
    It's fibre, as far as I'm aware! A dp is to be fitted on a pole the house over from us - a circle of black wires has been hanging there from the first callout as an indication of where it needs to go. We signed up for the gigabit fibre broadband - the fastest available - so I would assume it's ftth? Genuinely not sure though. I had thought that it was set to come in through an overhead line, but this period of waiting would more than likely suggest it's going to be put in through a duct then, no?
    I'm lost in all of this tbh as we've had KN and OpenEir technicians come out to tell us that the other one needs to do the job at hand before they can start.

A coil of fibre on the pole but no bpeo junction box. Yeah it's fibre so they need to get a box installed and the splices made into it and spliced off from the splitter somewhere further up the road. Shouldn't require civils unless the splitter is in a manhole in the middle of the road. Just seems the splicing crew is in demand and hasn't been to it. Probably get onto comreg and your councillor.
    the tech that was out would have surveyed it for the build crew to come out and fit a box there install and test it. Clearly the build crew is taking their time.

A coil of fibre on the pole but no bpeo junction box. Yeah it's fibre so they need to get a box installed and the splices made into it and spliced off from the splitter somewhere further up the road. Shouldn't require civils unless the splitter is in a manhole in the middle of the road. Just seems the splicing crew is in demand and hasn't been to it. Probably get onto comreg and your councillor.
    the tech that was out would have surveyed it for the build crew to come out and fit a box there install and test it. Clearly the build crew is taking their time.

This thread has genuinely offered more advice as to what's been happening than Eir have in the last three months 🤣 Cheers for the help, I don't know whether to cry or help at this stage. Makes it all the worse when people have had college and work to do - topped off by one customer agent telling me that "nobody is asking you to call us [the fulfillment team]". Helpless isn't the word!

My uncle has gone from purchasing to installation into the home in the space of three weeks (while needing work completed outside the home, too) so the build crew clearly aren’t that busy!

So I've just gotten off the phone and been advised that we have a new forecast date of the end of August, due to Eir/KN/whoever not receiving a licence/permit/permission yet to do the ducting.. Was advised that m,aybe seeking a third party would hasten the process? Regardless, nothing of that kind has been sought for my area by them according to the county council. Issue filed with Comreg, it's a waiting game now I guess. I'm absolutely furious!

you can get the licence hurried up yourself by contact the local council who is responsible for granting the licence, in my case KN never put forward the application after 8 months, the county council confirmed this, I then headed back to the TD armed with this info, and it was escalated by the EIR contact in the DAIL who must have done something because the licence was granted a week later and the following week I had the work done on the road.
    Donoghh wrote: »
    So I've just gotten off the phone and been advised that we have a new forecast date of the end of August, due to Eir/KN/whoever not receiving a licence/permit/permission yet to do the ducting.. Was advised that m,aybe seeking a third party would hasten the process? Regardless, nothing of that kind has been sought for my area by them according to the county council. Issue filed with Comreg, it's a waiting game now I guess. I'm absolutely furious!

Apparently the forecast date was pushed back due to the holdup in receiving a licence.. like you, I checked to find no licence had been sought. As well as that, don't thik it makes sense for them to dig up a duct when they can install via overhead line into the house?
    Was told there'd be an update today, obviously nothing when I rang and told to ring back Friday next week instead.
    I'll be taking your advice and am definitely going to the TD about this!

Last update I'll probably post about this - keeping it as written proof for myself as much as anything else.

Eir's wholesale team have now decided that the work required to fulfil my fibre contract is "too expensive" and thus will not be providing the service. Despite us signing up nearly four months ago. Despite us being customers for over ten years. Despite there being a DP on a pole about 2-300 metres away!
    Customer service have been able to do nothing, although in fairness to them there's nothing I could expect them to do, as they're not even pricy to the breakdown.

I can't fathom how this has happened? How it took the company until AFTER our original forecast date to decide it'd be too expensive. I'm genuinely in disbelief, and might be paranoid but not sure I believe their costing as they already lied about the planning permissions.

Advertisement