Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

McMurphy wrote: »
    Will be surprised if Amazon don't follow suit.

Regular stick is reduced, 4k still full whack at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

This is my second week of editing. I think there won't be discounts due to COVID-19 situation. That's what I think. I will get from currys next week if they are open on Monday.

I'm not too sure about that. I'm seeing the Firestick as their method to get into your house & people to sign up for Prime, Videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Are they allowed to record or hear your voice?
    I am already a Prime member.
    dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that. I'm seeing the Firestick as their method to get into your house & people to sign up for Prime, Videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

dinneenp wrote: »

Not just for prime videos. These have many other uses to access TV channels etc. Thats why so many people have them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

ordered through address pal. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Are they allowed to record or hear your voice?

The microphone is in the small remote, limited to 2 batteries. So it's not always listening, you have to press a button in the remote to make voice commands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

but1er wrote: »
    ordered through address pal. cheers

and cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not just for prime videos. These have many other uses to access TV channels etc. Thats why so many people have them

It's about the last thing I used mine for. I did change mine to a US stick with a new dummy amazon US account and I get more free than I did under a paid prime account.
    Tanya's filelinked is the bees knees for firestick max use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's about the last thing I used mine for. I did change mine to a US stick with a new dummy amazon US account and I get more free than I did under a paid prime account.

Have u the code for it

Wow
    That's a great news.
    TheDriver wrote: »

• Advertisement

Why did you cancel?
    but1er wrote: »
    and cancelled.

Have u the code for it

She's on youtube, firetvsticks and her videos usually start with her filelinked code. Don't have it to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why did you cancel?

I think it was them who cancelled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have 3 firesticks in house, 5 x Echo Dot and 1 x Echo show. If Amazon want to listen to the mundane s**t going on in my house, let them off :-)

The Tanya streams are good. Fairly similar to FireStickTricks which I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

These are the best bit of tech I've ever owned. Have one on each of the 3 tvs in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

podge018 wrote: »
    These are the best bit of tech I've ever owned. Have one one each of the 3 tvs in the house.

hard to believe that these could be got for £29.99
    I sold my nvidea shield and bought a second firestick instead

the shield is fantastic but not a whole lot better and I paid 129.99 for that (cheapest it's ever been)

mailburner wrote: »
    hard to believe that these could be got for £29.99
    I sold my nvidea shield and bought a second firestick instead

the shield is fantastic but not a whole lot better and I paid 129.99 for that (cheapest it's ever been)

When I got a 1st gen one, I rarely used it. The 4k coupled with VPN and all the catch-ups in UK and us and Netflix etc makes it very useable. It can play files from network and plenty of legal apps eg Pluto and crackle. You can get TV from anywhere in world.
    Ironically only crap ones are rte and TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

hear so many good things about firestick....not sure i need one....my Samsung smart 4K TV is good enough to handle all the apps - SMARTIPTV, Netflix, Youtube, Prime, Disney+, RTE Player.....only thing i might see improving is the UI speed....but then i dont want to keep two remotes !

Anyone in similar boat who uses stick and finds it of any value ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

hear so many good things about firestick....not sure i need one....my Samsung smart 4K TV is good enough to handle all the apps - SMARTIPTV, Netflix, Youtube, Prime, Disney+, RTE Player.....only thing i might see improving is the UI speed....but then i dont want to keep two remotes !

I hardly use the smart part of the TV any more (although admittedly it is a few years old at this stage). If you're being legal, you won't find it a huge benefit over your TV.

blastman wrote: »
    I hardly use the smart part of the TV any more (although admittedly it is a few years old at this stage). If you're being legal, you won't find it a huge benefit over your TV.

For me, its the VPN part of it and all the legal US apps you can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

I have an old 2012 Samsung smart TV and a lot of the apps are being discontinued. The firestick has given it a new lease of life. The TVs remote controls 95% of it as well which is excellent.

blastman wrote: »
    bromley52 wrote: »
    I have an old 2012 Samsung smart TV and a lot of the apps are being discontinued. The firestick has given it a new lease of life. The TVs remote controls 95% of it as well which is excellent.

Fair enough my TV is 2017-18 model !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have a LG TV and it has support for all of the above, so I only use the FireStick for some special app's :p

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have a LG TV and it has support for all of the above, so I only use the FireStick for some special app's :p

Like ? I had use of those apps until i bought lifetime license for SMART IPTV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I have a new TV and still use the firestick instead of the TV's smart functions. TV is capable of HDR 10 or Dolby vision, and so is the firestick. Firestick also has all the apps, TV doesn't. It's such a super device. I have one on each TV and one for work travel when I'm overnighting in hotels, or going on holidays.

ablelocks wrote: »
    I have a new TV and still use the firestick instead of the TV's smart functions. TV is capable of HDR 10 or Dolby vision, and so is the firestick. Firestick also has all the apps, TV doesn't. It's such a super device. I have one on each TV and one for work travel when I'm overnighting in hotels, or going on holidays.

I find the same, great to take on trips, overnights etc. Plus you can watch RTE news etc wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Great channel here for Firestick
    I changed the launcher and it’s great now
    No more Ads and basic launcher is easy to use

https://youtu.be/osik68-9_gw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

love this, thank you

so nice not to see all the usual sponsored content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I bought one this afternoon on Amazon... not the 4K one, the ordinary one. Was £24.99, will be delivered using AddressPal.
    I’ve been loving the All4 app lately, ads on it aren’t awfully long to put up with up in the first place but I’ve been seeing people saying it’s great for watching All4 with no ads... how does this work?
    Not looking to derail the thread so if can someone could PM me that would be great... and if not, that’s ok too :)
    I love gadgets anyway so looking forward to getting it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Cheers . Just did this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement