04-06-2014, 21:46   #16
cunnifferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Miniature Gin View Post
I cannot stress this enough - get any offer in writing before you commit or agree to the offer.
Good advice. After getting offered half price for 12 months got my first bill today and saw a 90 euro 'activation fee' which they never informed me of. Rang them up giving out and they said they would review the tapes. Sneaky bastards is all I can say!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-06-2014, 23:34   #17
Mountjoy Mugger

I'm just after getting an offer – Free Horizon TV for 6 months

Get FREE Horizon TV for 6 Months, just pay for your Broadband and Home Phone. It Ties in to a 12 month contract, and I pay an extra €28 pm thereafter.

I assume Horizon is still crap?

Anyone else getting similar?
Thanks from:
24-06-2014, 23:39   #18

I had high hopes for Horizon but IMHO it is RUBBISH . Obviously I am only one person and others might disagree but I'd recommend you stick with the old box if you have it. Unless you get some sort of offer like you mention above, then maybe consider it... if you're happy with a frustratingly slow tv UI, poor WiFi, recordings going missing, noisy box...

EDIT: just to add, I'm in receipt of a new box that apparently is "magic" and will fix the problems I've mentioned. So make sure to ask for similar "magic" Horizon box.

Last edited by ProjectMoose; 24-06-2014 at 23:43.
25-06-2014, 00:17   #19
Muahahaha

Was your box branded Horizon ? Mate of mine got UPC TV and BB recently and the box he got is made by Samsung, works perfect but the smart tv features are useless, YouTube is virtually impossible to operate on it, waste of time on something that could have been really good IMO.
25-06-2014, 01:55   #20
goz83

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyd11 View Post
I would read the small print in any deals they offer. They gave me a great half price deal for 12 months and then pulled it without telling me , putting it down to a mis-quote from an employee. While they wont let you break yourside of the contract , they can do what they want.
Bull
Advertisement
25-06-2014, 07:53   #21
kindalen

Horizon box I have is a form of torture. Avoid.
25-06-2014, 08:03   #22
Sin City

Lads my Horizon box is grand. Free hd channels. Decent gui system. The only down side is where they put the built in antennas, , just under the lip of the front panal so I have to leave the hang over the edge of my TV stand to get a better wifi signal. Its much easier to log into the modem on this box as most of the options are through the TV. I must have got one of those magic boxes as iv had mine over a year with no problems and now I get calls to mobiles as part of my package. ..

ok the apps are fairly crap but I wasn't expecting to much out of them tbh
25-06-2014, 12:12   #23
Notch000

what is the horizon TV ?? I got upgraded a while ago but never figured it out. We got a BB speed incresae and a seperate line but its dropping signal constantly since the switch. If one line is down neither works so it a bit Kack TBH
01-08-2014, 17:44   #24
thebackbar

hello folks,
i recently got in touch with upc re getting a better price, i finally agreed to a price of 33 euros a month which includes the basic tv package plus internet. However when my first bill came it was for 39 euros, i presume the price they were quoting on the call was pre vat ?

has this happened to anyone else ?
Advertisement
01-08-2014, 17:49   #25
Captain Morgan

This post has been deleted.
01-08-2014, 22:12   #26
RickyBobby1

Is it worth ringing up looking for a better price as a new customer? Although we were with them a few years back
02-08-2014, 14:15   #27
GotTheTshirt

Thanks for the reminder OP.

My contract ended last month and you reminded me to ring them. After asking how much to keep my broadband and ditch the TV package as my bills were too high I got offered my current 70 euro p/m package for 55.50.
I said I'd chip away some more and mentioned FTA satellite, was immediately offered skysports package free for two months and a bump from my 50 mb to 120 mb broadband aswell, happy days!
02-08-2014, 21:12   #28
ciaburkie

was offered a similar deal when i was asking when my contract was up...im switching to eircoms 3 package deal thingy
03-08-2014, 10:03   #29
Monotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebackbar View Post
hello folks,
i recently got in touch with upc re getting a better price, i finally agreed to a price of 33 euros a month which includes the basic tv package plus internet. However when my first bill came it was for 39 euros, i presume the price they were quoting on the call was pre vat ?

has this happened to anyone else ?
Yes, they're really bad at getting their stuff together. As Captain Morgan mentioned, it could be because you were halfway through a billing period. Try and study your bill and see if this is the case. If you think it's not, then give them a ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby1 View Post
Is it worth ringing up looking for a better price as a new customer? Although we were with them a few years back
Doubtful. As new customers, you can avail of the new deals, which are usually pretty good, though depending on what you're looking for at the moment, it might or might not suit (I see broadband for cheaper than it was, but some of the packages have gone up).

However, you can save a bit through DID or carphone warehouse if you use the affiliate links, through boards or here's another through DID.
http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/
http://www.did.ie/upc

I'm not sure if that DID one is out of date. They seem to reflect the older deals.

Even after one year, you might only be able to negotiate a slightly better deal, according to some of the previous posts. They generally give the best deals if you've been with them a few years.
Thanks from:
03-08-2014, 10:14   #30
Greentree_uk

been with them 14 months and I got my top end package for half price for twelve months. don;t accept the first deal they offer you!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion