Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sawducks Movie Walrus

• 14-11-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

This is my first time hosting anything on here so I'm sure it will be a beautiful disaster

What is a Movie Walrus
    Simply send me a pm with one movie for each of the following four categories, i will rank all the movies in each category and the person with the best combined score in all four is the winner.

Why am I doing this
    I am a movie nerd. Yep a big old movie nerd, i have seen so many movies at this stage it is beyond crazy. I even have an account on twitter that runs movie poll tournaments(it's @Polls_movies just in case anyone's interested) I love pretty much every genre, except one which I'm not going to reveal just yet. I love re-watching great movies and discovering new ones too

The Categories
    1.Something Old - A movie made before the year 1980
    A friend of mine once said " Old movies are rubbish" he is of course a fool, so let us all prove what a fool he is by selecting some great movies before the year 1980.

2.Something New - A Movie from the year 2000 onwards
    There have been many wonderful movies released in the last 20 years, send me one of your favorites from this era

3.Something Borrowed - Something borrowed from another source. The Movie should be borrowed from one of these, a famous book, a comic, a video game, a movie that was originally a TV Show or a remake of an earlier Movie. There are so many options for this one.

4. Something Blue - A movie to cure the blues
    2020 Has left most of us with a case of the blues, so for this category I want a movie that will cheer us all up and put a smile on our faces

I will leave this open for awhile so there is no rush and I will let you all know a few days in advance when I'm deciding to close it. I won't be as fast as LaVar was with his walrus but I'll try be quicker than triggers one :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm in. Will have selections into you before tomorrow morning. Need to think about 'em for awhile.

And following on Twitter.

Entries Submitted!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll get "something" to submit soon :p

You may want to throw an an announcement into the upcoming games thread pinned at the top of Forum Games, Sawduck. Quite a few people only seem to follow that and don't see things otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

You may want to throw an an announcement into the upcoming games thread pinned at the top of Forum Games, Sawduck. Quite a few people only seem to follow that and don't see things otherwise.

Thank for the heads up, I have never really took much notice to that but it would be a good idea to advertise it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'll give a go shortly Sawduck

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My first movie walrus

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47d9pauwtjay8zx9cu6thdtptbfe94ozjv8ge51yvs&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Count me in please could be a few days though

I will leave this open for about 2 to 3 weeks so there is no rush, just send a pm anytime you are ready

PM sent

• Advertisement

Up to 6 entries now and only one duplicate, a nice selection of movies so far

I will probably close this on Saturday 5th of December, so that leaves a week and a half for anyone else interested to get their submissions in. I am aiming to get the first round complete before Christmas, its possible I could get two rounds done by then but that depends on how busy I am.

Sawduck wrote: »
    I will probably close this on Saturday 5th of December, so that leaves a week and a half for anyone else interested to get their submissions in. I am aiming to get the first round complete before Christmas, its possible I could get two rounds done by then but that depends on how busy I am.

OK. What happens in Round 2 then?

Purgative wrote: »
    OK. What happens in Round 2 then?

I just meant second category, I will hopefully rank the movies in the first category "something old" before Christmas

Ah right - that makes sense to a walrus virgin :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

How do you watch the movies? Do we have to provide links?

Reberetta wrote: »
    How do you watch the movies? Do we have to provide links?

I should be able to find most movies online somewhere, so it's not necessary to add links

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I couldn't find some of the movies I wanted to submit online unless you pay for them. Are you willing to pay for them? :)

I couldn't find some of the movies I wanted to submit online unless you pay for them. Are you willing to pay for them? :)

Never even gave that a thought - was so delighted to think up an answer that seemed to work :o

Ah if you know where to look, most things are findable... Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

• Advertisement

Are they on Netflix, if not which site. You can send me a pm anyway and I'll see if I can find them, I might even have them on dvd, I have an impressive dvd collection

I might have to pay to watch one of your selections, I could only find it on amazon, I don't mind paying though so its grand :)

10 Entries in now, i have seen at least one movie from everyone who has entered before, although some i haven't seen in years so it will be good to have a rewatch to see if my opinions changed. There are one or two movies that i didn't particularly like the last time i viewed them but for the most part the movies you all entered are great. I am still taking entries until Saturday, if you want to enter send a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did I submit?

Yes I got your entry

I have started watching movies from the first category(something old) and i have to say this is going to be tough to judge, every movie I have watched so far has been incredible and I still have a good few to go

Entries Summitted so far
    1. Irish Aris
    2. Spook_ie
    3. Kolido
    4. ShaneU
    5. Reberetta
    6. JP Liz V1
    7. Also Starring LeVar Burton
    8. Necro
    9. Purgative
    10. mustang shelly
    11. the purple tin

I hope to get the first category completed and ranked by mid December, if anyone else wants to join send me a private message

Aiming to get this started next Monday night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ducky, please tie your foolish friend to a chair a la Clockwork Orange, and make them watch all the 'something old' selections :pac:

The reveal thread for this is now open, will be starting things off tonight
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058142714

• Advertisement
Advertisement