Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glorney Gilbert International 2015

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

A great performance all round. In my 40 years competing in Irish chess, I think we now have the strongest group of young players I can remember, especially the under-14s.

Having played several teenagers in various events this year, I predict they will certainly be challenging the mature Irish masters and experts and their foreign contemporaries in the next couple of years if they can go on from this.
    Do we have juniors going to the Gibraltar event next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

Pleased to see the Independent considers Junior Chess a Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

2bts wrote: »
    Pleased to see the Independent considers Junior Chess a Sport.

Albeit a left-field one!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Yes, Congratulation to the irish glorney teams. It's a good thing that the English don't take this competition half as seriously as it's taken over here and they sent a second rate team and kept their creme de la creme at home, Imagine if they sent, over 2100 rated 12 year old players like koby kalavannan & anthony zhang .England would have won everything .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

You can only beat the opponents they put in front of you. Of course the British players get much more opportunities for strong opposition and probably coaching support.
    Yes, Anthony Zhang (born 2002 like Henry Li etc.) could have played on England's Glorney or Robinson team.

Tomorrow Zhang has Black against GM Mark Hebden in the first round of the British Championship: the game will be live.
    Koby Kalavannan is in the top half of the draw and plays White against an opponent of lower rating.

Henry also played in a violin competition in the Feis Ceoil this year. So chess is not his only interest but he is certainly capable of going over 2200 in the next few years - as are Alex Byrne and Tom O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Some interviews with parents, coaches and players:

https://stbenilduschessclub.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/glorney-interviews/

Advertisement