Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've moved this here because this forum is a little goldmine of Christmas dinner info. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Do as much as you can in advance. Everyone in my family prefers cold ham so I cook and glaze the ham the day before. Make a written schedule of what needs to be done when remembering resting time for the turkey. The hardest thing about a big meal like that is timing so it helps to have it planned out. Make sure you know when you're guests are arriving- nothing worse than a dried out Turkey and everyone p!ssed waiting for stragglers. Also don't be tempted to get stuck into the booze too early! Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

have a glass of alcohol,at all times to steady your nerves

try and get people to help peel the vegetables etc,

cook your turkey breast down it will taste better,put butter under the skin
    wrap in tin foil,you can boil ham the night before
    potatoes turn yellow after peeling so keep them covered in water before cooking
    I don't stuff turkey due to samonela,put 2 teaspoons of sugar into carrots and brussel sprouts,try and steam them,half boil your roast potatoes serve marrofat peas soak the night before

having some one help will take a lot of pressure off

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I am in the same boat. Have been planning for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Get a sheet of paper - write out your full menu - and plan out cooking and prep times - and be realistic with times people arrive and when you'll eat (yes it's a bit fussy but if you're not used to cooking a big meal and could be stuck for time and oven space it'll help)
    Do prep what you can evening before- and delegate - so laying the table - rounding up diners- looking after drinks -
    If you have room on your table have the veg ect in serving dishes -can speed up service -
    Last thing - warm plates and serving dishes - -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Worth investing in one of these ?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-7-december/products-detail-page/ps/p/stainless-steel-buffet-server-1/

plus if you buy another €10 worth of shopping you could use a voucher in todays sun indo to get 10 off 50 spend.

Warmer has 3 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

If u put a (scrubbed) knob of coal into the water with the prepared veg & potatoes to stop them discolouring just remember to take it out before cooking!

Try it on veg before hand to make sure it works (I keep 3 medium sized scrubbed knobs of coal in a plastic bag all ur round ready for the job).

I really love prawn cocktail, so when preparing the starters (prawns for some & melon for others) for everyone I make an extra large one for myself & have it then when I can relax & enjoy it as when everyone else is having their starter I'm too busy in the kitchen getting the main course ready for serving - it buy me a bit of valuable time when needed. After 14yrs of cooking christmas dinner no need anymore to ask who likes what for starter!

When carving the turkey I remove the complete breast off one side of the turkey (basically with a sharp knife, cut down along slightly to one side of the breast bone & gently cut & pull the breast away from the carcase) then lay it down on a chopping board & slice through, that way every slice has a bit of the outer, middle & inside so no one has drier meat than anyone else. Same with the other side which I then wrap when cold in grease proof paper & then tinfoil (tinfoil wil just stick to the meat) & it's ready for the next day. Saw Jamie Oliver do it one time on one of his Christmas shows. When collecting the turkey I get the butcher to cut legs off, my mum freezes them & cookes at a later time as my dad loves them. I line the cavity of the turkey with greaseproof paper & stuff it then.

I bring the ham to the boil (after steeping for a day or more changing the water regularly) & then throw off that water & then cook in Apple juice instead of water with the usual bay leaf, onion & carrots in the pot, when cooked I pour a can of bulmers over the ham & roast for about 20mins - delicious! (Both mum & MIL don't drink but they love the ham :-))) ) I cook bacon in the apple juice as well minus the bulmers.

We usually have dinner around 3/3.30 & my dad is usually the only one who has desert after the dinner, the rest of us usually have ours around 7/8 watching tv when we have a bit more room to enjoy it.

And then it's the same all over again for St Stephens Day when my husbands family come for dinner, that day is much easier as its only fresh veg & potatoes to cook & stuffing cooked on a baking tray & sauce as everything else is already cooked just to carve & serve

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots of good advice here.
    One thing: relax, it's just another roast dinner and you're cooking for 4 adults and 3 kids.

If you ever cook roasts, for a similar number of people, this is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

1st time dinner thread merged.

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I see in some videos that folks are putting a butter mixture under the turkey's skin. Would doing that, in addition to having done the brine, be overkill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Question on roasties - if I par boil potatoes in advance I can freeze and save for the dinner right?

How far in advance can this be done?

What is the best way to freeze them?
    I'm thinking of cooking and while still warm tossing in melted salted butter and a bit of oil (can't do duck fat as they need to be vegetarian).

Can they be cooked from frozen?

How long will they take in the Oven if done this way?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

HI lads,

I'm looking for some christmas starter ideas. I have done staraters for my family for the last few years, I have done soup and bruschetta and soup. So this year I wanted to do something a bit more impressive this year. All ideas welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Doing a leg of lamb, any idea's? Going to be a massive turkey leg too and probably some ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

nhg wrote: »
    If u put a (scrubbed) knob of coal into the water with the prepared veg & potatoes to stop them discolouring just remember to take it out before cooking!

Try it on veg before hand to make sure it works (I keep 3 medium sized scrubbed knobs of coal in a plastic bag all ur round ready for the job).

Your advice is great but i have to ask - coal? How did you discover this? What's the science behind it?

It's beef wellington for us this year apparently (I say apparently as my mother is cooking) none of us at home like turkey. We've all the usual trimmings though. I might try those Delia Smith parsnips though, they sound delish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How do you work out how much of each item you need per person? I'm cooking for 7 this year - is there any rule of thumb for quantity? I reckon we'd be looking at a 2.5-3kg bird? Produce I can judge by eye I'd say.

/edit: After some research, the idea of getting a turkey under 4kg is laughable. I must try and find somewhere selling a crown :/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

I'm cooking a Turkey & Ham for 8-10 people. I haven't a clue what size bird to get! Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I cooked a thanksgiving meal for 8 people recently and used a 14lb (6kg approx) turkey.

There was plenty for everyone and we split the leftovers between us, which was enough for 8 generous turkey sandwiches. :)

I don't know if that helps or not.

I am really looking forward to Christmas this year. We will be with friends and we are splitting the victuals between us.

Me and the OH are bringing:

Glazed ham
    Potato dauphinoise
    Brussells sprouts
    Pork and apple stuffing
    Turkey gravy leftover from thanksgiving

The friends are bringing:

Turkey
    Green bean casserole
    Sweet potato casserole

There are also several desserts between us, including my Christmas cake which I have never made before and am nervous about. We have been feeding it for weeks. :)

Then there's the wine. I off alcohol at the moment and cannot WAIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

I see in some videos that folks are putting a butter mixture under the turkey's skin. Would doing that, in addition to having done the brine, be overkill?

I have never brined turkey before but I always make lots of slits in the turkey skin and insert large chunks of real butter. I massage it into the breasts and legs so when it melts it adds moisture to the meat. I insert a lemon & onion both sliced in half and some fresh thyme, rosemary & sage into the cavity. The juices in the lemon & onion help to keep the meat moist. I have never ever had a dry or flavourless turkey (touch wood!).:)

Forgot to add that I cover the whole bird with streaky bacon criss-crossed to protect it from burning. Cover with foil and then take off for the last 20 minutes or so until it goes a nice golden brown.

Whispered wrote: »
    Question on roasties - if I par boil potatoes in advance I can freeze and save for the dinner right?

How far in advance can this be done?

What is the best way to freeze them?
    I'm thinking of cooking and while still warm tossing in melted salted butter and a bit of oil (can't do duck fat as they need to be vegetarian).

Can they be cooked from frozen?

How long will they take in the Oven if done this way?

Thanks!

I am not exactly a roastie genius but I wouldn't recommend pre-cooking & freezing. They take a little time to cook from fresh but well worth it. The main thing is to get decent potatoes.. Dunnes are selling Maris Pipers (great for Mash too or chips) for 3.99 for a 5kg bag. They are fairly robust and will withstand par-boiling and roasting. Good tip is to not cut them too small as potatoes lately seem to disintegrate when I boil them if too small. When they are slightly softening, take off the hob and strain.. allow to cool and make sure you only add them to HOT oil from the oven. Spoon oil over each potato and turn as required. The longer you leave them the nicer they get. I also grind fresh seasalt & pepper over them mid way through cooking as it adds to the crunch & flavour. Throw a few sprigs of Rosemary in the oil too for a bit of flavour.

I'm cooking a Turkey & Ham for 8-10 people. I haven't a clue what size bird to get! Any suggestions?

If you hope to get a second day from the turkey then I would suggest a 16kg bird. Be sure to ask for a "Hen" rather than a cock as the meat is much jucier (so I am told! :pac:). Make sure you get a Fresh one rather than frozen - they taste a million times better & worth the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Just finished watching Neven Maguire doing Xmas stuff there on RTE...mother of God it was great! They could have made 3 or 4 programs with the content....defo one for the RTE player!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    HI lads,

I'm looking for some christmas starter ideas. I have done staraters for my family for the last few years, I have done soup and bruschetta and soup. So this year I wanted to do something a bit more impressive this year. All ideas welcome

I did the scallops in coriander pesto last year from this forum and they were a big hit. An easy but tasty and impressive one is steamed asparagus wrapped in parma ham and light brush of olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    HI lads,

Individually potted chicken liver pate with toasted brioche was what I did a couple of times, using Rachel Allen's recipe.

Another year I did smoked trout pate in smoked salmon parcels, with leafy greens on the side.

On New Year's eve dinner two years ago I did Gambas al Ajillo served with crusty baguette. This took only minutes, prepped everything in advance, flash cooked them once guests were seated.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm cooking on Christmas Day for myself and my mum but St Stephens day then is the big family dinner and I'm cooking that in my house for 7 of us. Not sure of portion sizes but I know nothing will go to waste :)

I'm a bit lost on starter ideas though! Any suggestions?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ChewChew wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost on starter ideas though! Any suggestions?

Wine!

No seriously, I don't bother with a starter any more. I barely have room for a dessert, I've eaten so much of the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

For the last 2 years I've made a cold seafood starter...smoked salmon, crab meat, king prawns and scallops all placed on a leaf of iceberg lettuce with some Marie Rose sauce to boot.

Loire .

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I think you might be right beertons. I might actually just make some mulled wine! Non alcohol for the pregnant lady :D

I plan on making a medley of desserts so maybe a good idea to hold off on a starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im making a twiced baked smoked salmon suffle with a dill and wine cream sauce. Its great because you can make it a day in advance and just heat for 10-15 mins in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'm in charge of the starter this year, and I hate seafood. I'm thinking a simple bruschetta will be a safe bet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

RachelDDD wrote: »
    If you hope to get a second day from the turkey then I would suggest a 16kg bird. Be sure to ask for a "Hen" rather than a cock as the meat is much jucier (so I am told! :pac:). Make sure you get a Fresh one rather than frozen - they taste a million times better & worth the cost.

16lb surely?! :eek:

I've ordered a 12lb hen & will most likely be given a 14lb bird by my generous butcher. That is for 2 adults & 2 kids. We'll probably get 4 days out of it - cold cuts, sandwiches & the scrapings will go in to my legendary (well, for me & HB Jr. I) turkey-bone soup.

Advertisement