Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL Off-Season Trade Activity and General Talk

• 25-06-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Just a general thread for the off-season guys.

Noticed this regarding the Flyers and Bryzgalov :

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18660

"As such, the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 years to not play for them."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Canucks and Rangers officially swapped coaches.

New York - Vancouver SCF next year would be entertaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

tolosenc wrote: »
    Canucks and Rangers officially swapped coaches.

New York - Vancouver SCF next year would be entertaining...

I would find no joy in listening to Tortorella press conferences for an extra two months. I'm still not sure he is going to be the right fit for Vancouver. We shall see.

I would find no joy in listening to Tortorella press conferences for an extra two months. I'm still not sure he is going to be the right fit for Vancouver. We shall see.

As Canucks fans, we like to buy into referee conspiracies and such. If there's any coach in the league who's going to get in on that, it's Torts.

As for the on ice stuff, I think AV's message was stale. The roster is too good not to make the second round, pretty much anyone coming in would result in a better playoff display than the last 14 games (2-12)...

As Canucks fans, we like to buy into referee conspiracies and such. If there's any coach in the league who's going to get in on that, it's Torts.

As for the on ice stuff, I think AV's message was stale. The roster is too good not to make the second round, pretty much anyone coming in would result in a better playoff display than the last 14 games (2-12)...

My problem with Tortorella is that I think he gets far too much credit that he deserves. He rode a hot goaltender (wearing oversized pads) to a Stanley Cup Championship in Tampa Bay. I believe that he has had far too much talent in New York in his tenure not to have had more success.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

It should be interesting to see what both teams do now that they have swapped coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Letang rejected a 54 mil./ 8 year deal from the penguins holding out for an extra 500k a year. His days in the burgh are numbered now.

I would've loved the guy to stay with the pens but after this I'd trade him for a broken fridge.

Shocking from him as both Crosby and Malkin signed for way less that they could've got on open market.

• Advertisement

Izy wrote: »
    Letang rejected a 54 mil./ 8 year deal from the penguins holding out for an extra 500k a year. His days in the burgh are numbered now.

I would've loved the guy to stay with the pens but after this I'd trade him for a broken fridge.

Shocking from him as both Crosby and Malkin signed for way less that they could've got on open market.

I feel sorry for the GM that offers him a contact when he hits free agency.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426460

VANCOUVER -- Now that new coach John Tortorella has been hired, Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis can try to complete a long-delayed project in conjunction with Sunday's NHL draft -- trading goaltender Roberto Luongo.

"We're going to try and accomplish that goal," Gillis said this week. "We'll see what happens."

If other teams do not find the nine years remaining on Luongo's US$64-million contract onerous, his trade could help the Canucks acquire a veteran or some young talent in the form of prospects or draft picks. But Gillis will not be dealing from a position of strength.

Although Luongo's contract has a reasonable annual salary-cap hit of $5.3 million, clubs have to reduce their cap maximum to $64.3 million from about $70 million as part of the new collective bargaining agreement. The Canucks will also be missing a key bargaining chip if they want to move Luongo, who must agree to waive his no-trade clause.

He is not going anywhere that he doesn't want to go. Gillis is going to be very disappointed in what he gets in return (if he can even pull off the trade). Teams already have the Canucks over a barrel. They have to move him to clear up salary cap space.

I feel sorry for the GM that offers him a contact when he hits free agency.

He is gonna get traded before the draft. I hope he will.

I would take Edler & 1st round pick or even Jack Johnson & 1st round pick

But again now that he rejected that offer no GM will offer much for him...

He is gonna get traded before the draft. I hope he will.

I would take Edler & 1st round pick or even Jack Johnson & 1st round pick

But again now that he rejected that offer no GM will offer much for him...

I think you have your hopes a little high. He is a product of the system/players he plays with. With all of the buyouts we've been seeing, I'd be very surprised if he gets what Pittsburgh has offered him in the open market. I may be wrong .....but I will be surprised if I am .

1) Vancouver can't take on any more payroll (even if they are able to move Luongo) Edler is already a $5mil cap hit. They are not going to go up to a $7mil+ hit with Letang

2) Columbus is over paying for two blueliners now (with Jackson and Wisniewski). I'm not sure if it makes sense to spend even more money on the back-end with Letang.

I think you have your hopes a little high.

:D but there's to hoping haha

if canucks moved loungo and traded edler than signed letang they would be 2.5mil better off with the cap. but its not going to happen.

jack jonhson is the only player on the blue jackets team worth taking but i doubt they would do a deal as i'm pretty sure letang would never sign an extension with them...

the pens are not gonna get a top 4 D + pick + prospect for letang. they better of trying to get a top 6 forward +pick + prospect.

resign murray, try to get scuderi back or give 2-3 of the youngsters a chance.

i'm pretty sure dupuis, adams and cooke will all sign sensible deals, kunitz already did.

an iteresting few days ahead for penguins fans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

According to Darren Dreger Gillis has Schneider in play too. What a total mess he's creating. Glad he's not the Hawks GM. This won't end well for him me thinks.

As everyone know Bolland is favorite to leave Chicago, hopefully to a team in the East. Thanks for the winning goal Dave but his time is done in Chicago. Hopefully Stan can use his money to lock up Bickell. Should be an interesting 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Flyers are offloading Danny Briere too. Word is that they are looking for Ryan Miller to replace Bryzgalov. They badly need a good goaltender.

COYW wrote: »
    Flyers are offloading Danny Briere too. Word is that they are looking for Ryan Miller to replace Bryzgalov. They badly need a good goaltender.

I wouldn't mind taking Briere for a season with a respectable cap hit but word is he wants to stay on the East coast.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    According to Darren Dreger Gillis has Schneider in play too. What a total mess he's creating. Glad he's not the Hawks GM. This won't end well for him me thinks.

Apparently Schneider wasn't in play at all until the Oilers offered Yakupov and their 1st (7th overall). I'd do that deal if the Oilers where in a different conference.

Luongo will go today, IMO, for a mid second round pick (PHX maybe?). As for his NTC, that's what blocked a deal last summer, but he said around the trade deadline that he would waive it for any trade.

McKinnon to go first.
    if canucks moved loungo and traded edler than signed letang they would be 2.5mil better off with the cap. but its not going to happen.

I got it: Letang + 2014 2nd round pick for Edler + Luongo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

Apparently Schneider wasn't in play at all until the Oilers offered Yakupov and their 1st (7th overall). I'd do that deal if the Oilers where in a different conference.

Luongo will go today, IMO, for a mid second round pick (PHX maybe?). As for his NTC, that's what blocked a deal last summer, but he said around the trade deadline that he would waive it for any trade.

McKinnon to go first.

I think Luongo will only get moved somewhere for nothing 5th round pick or lower.
    Or when he is bought out

He won't be going to PHX all there ownership problems and they just about to resign Mike Smith to a 6 year about 6 mil per

Letang agreed to an 8year/58 mil. deal. 7.25/mil a year. I do not think this is a good idea for the pens...

I got it: Letang + 2014 2nd round pick for Edler + Luongo.

Why on the earth would the pens take loungo when they have fleury and vokoun?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Listening to the draft here, but don't have a stream: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=616&id=261079&lang=en&navid=DL|NHL|home

So far it's been: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.htm?sort=overallPick&navid=DL|NHL|home

Can't say I know any of the players!

New Jersey Devils trade 9th pick in exchange for Corey Schneider of Vancouver!!!!

So Loungo stays in Van, Schneider to NJ for the 9th pick thought they would of gotten more for him

What a mess Gillis has made of the goalie situation. It was obvious Bobby Lou wasn't going anywhere with that contract. Will be interesting to see how this pans out

• Advertisement

Luongo stated that he would 'talk to his agent' to see what he wanted to do. The commentators on TSN said how he had 'divorced himself from the idea of being a Vancouver Canuck'.

This mess may only get worse.

Such a mess in Van, Gillis will be lucky to still have a job after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Gillis has made an awful mess, in my opnion still think luongos contract should be bought out, it would free up much needed cap space!!!

Id be shocked if gillis was still here for start of the season! And god help whoever takes over...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    So Loungo stays in Van, Schneider to NJ for the 9th pick thought they would of gotten more for him

Yeah, having a think about it now and NJ have done well here.

Schneider covers their goalie issues, and all they gave up was a pick for a player we don't know how will perform in the NHL yet. Maybe he'll be a wunderkid...

Bo Horvat
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=82117

"He's a great competitor. He does everything you like to see. His penalty killing is very good, blocking shots. He's effective every shift and he's one of the best faceoff guys in the whole draft."

Gillis should be done in Van but you never know. It was priceless watching both his and Lou's faces. He could hardly contain himself while Gillis looked like a dead man walking. Buying out Louongo's contract was the obvious thing to do but he got shafted.

From what I understand, Luongo has already sold his house in Vancouver. He has been told that he was going to be moved. He very well may waive his no trade and demand to be traded at this point.

From what I understand, Luongo has already sold his house in Vancouver. He has been told that he was going to be moved. He very well may waive his no trade and demand to be traded at this point.

House on the market, not sold. Wouldn't rule out Luongo being traded before Christmas - there are a few goalie moves to happen this summer, and someone's not going to be happy at the end of it. 2nd round and a mid-range prospect for Luongo - $1m in salary. If Joacim Eriksson can come close to the numbers he was putting up in Sweden, then we should be OK.

Gillis didn't get enough for Cory, but I'm relatively happy with how yesterday panned out. Subban in the 4th round was a steal (PK says he's better than him), as was Shinkaruk.

Nice touch by NJ at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Rumours that tim thomas coming back to nhl... currently under contract with islanders I think so they have rights to him...

be interesting to see if he comes back and who he ends up with!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    Rumours that tim thomas coming back to nhl... currently under contract with islanders I think so they have rights to him...

be interesting to see if he comes back and who he ends up with!

So that means the world isn't going to end after all? :P

• Advertisement

Iginla has narrowed his destinations down to 4, reportedly: https://twitter.com/fan960walker/status/352251991185035267

He's going to have to take a major paycut to play for any of those. I'd love to see the Flames fan base reaction to Iggy as a Canuck.

Advertisement