Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OSI Maps Because Shine is Better

• 12-10-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I was trying to get into the OSI website to view old maps for a townland. However, it seems to be hijacked with 'Because Shine is Better' with the site redirecting to this page. I thought that this hijacker file might be in my browser or computer. However, I tried accessing the website on my phone with the same issue occurring. Does anyone else get this when they go to the OSI website? If it's an issue with the website, how can I contact them to let them know about the issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The maps moved to geohive a while back, are you accessing via that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

Site (osi.ie) appears to have been hacked.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Thanks both for your replies. At least it's not just my computer then. Yes, I was referring to www.osi.ie. I was always in the habit of accessing the maps through that site where it brought me to geohive even since they've moved the maps. At least, Geohive itself seems to be okay so they can still be accessed directly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I really miss the OSI site. I had many locations bookmarked - something you can't do with Geohive unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Hermy wrote: »
    I really miss the OSI site. I had many locations bookmarked - something you can't do with Geohive unfortunately.

Also, the old site allowed you to copy a URL and send it by email to a correspondent, instead of having to give long instructions as to how to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Tow wrote: »
    Site (osi.ie) appears to have been hacked.

Seems so, but you can still get to the maps from http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html .

Are OSI maps not supposed to be the most up to date you can get? The map on that geohive link above doesn’t even have the new Enniscorthy bypasses on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Are OSI maps not supposed to be the most up to date you can get? The map on that geohive link above doesn’t even have the new Enniscorthy bypasses on it.
    Which base layer map are you using? Left hand side drop down menu.

OoqmjDH.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Openstreetmap is usually the most up to date

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Earnest wrote: »
    Also, the old site allowed you to copy a URL and send it by email to a correspondent, instead of having to give long instructions as to how to navigate.

That too!

It's really impractical not being able to generate a URL of the location you are looking at.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The Tralee Bypass is completed over six years now and still doesn't appear on OSI 1:50k mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

srmf5 wrote: »
    I was trying to get into the OSI website to view old maps for a townland. However, it seems to be hijacked with 'Because Shine is Better' with the site redirecting to this page. I thought that this hijacker file might be in my browser or computer. However, I tried accessing the website on my phone with the same issue occurring. Does anyone else get this when they go to the OSI website? If it's an issue with the website, how can I contact them to let them know about the issue? Thanks.
    I got hit with the becauseshineisbetter virus myself when I clicked on a link to the OSI website from a link on the local Councils website. I have a thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Quackster wrote: »
    The Tralee Bypass is completed over six years now and still doesn't appear on OSI 1:50k mapping.
    A lot of areas have not been updated for some time now. I think we were spoiled a wee bit when all the new mapping became available in the 90's and 00's as the maps then were literally decades out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Classic example of fixing something that wasn't broken. The "old" site was so much easier to navigate and use.

Advertisement