Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skill/Knowledge Base requirements in I.T job descriptions

• 28-10-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm considering looking at other jobs in the support engineer or support analyst role.

Going through the various job descriptions, the skills/knowledge base requiredments for every role that isn't entry level looks quite daunting

Is it normal for employers to just throw up as many of these as possible and they don't actually expect candidates to know everything or is there an assumption that candidates should have the majority of these skills?

Its putting me off applying for these roles

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Tow

[Is it normal for employers to just throw up as many of these as possible and they don't actually expect candidates to know everything] = Yes

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

An awful lot of the "skills spam" also comes from writing job descriptions into a form that recruiters, who tend to not be technical, can box tick when matching candidates. It's also how you get stupidities such as "ten years experience in C++ 17".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I think it's often the case that what ends up in the recruitment ad, is the profile of the last employee that held the job rather than what is actually needed to do the job.

The most unusual requirement I can across was for an developer was:

"Must be capable of operating in a politically charged environment"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Talisman

14ned wrote: »
    An awful lot of the "skills spam" also comes from writing job descriptions into a form that recruiters, who tend to not be technical, can box tick when matching candidates. It's also how you get stupidities such as "ten years experience in C++ 17".
    Last week I was told my experience was a little light and I needed 5 years of experience using a framework that was released in September 2019. :D

I've realised that the recruitment system is fecked and that the likes of Linkedin is a better avenue for changing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Recruit.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement