Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Banned from covid-19 forum

• 23-11-2020 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

hello

i stated received an infraction for being uncivil - all i did was post facts to support my position:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058134537&page=6

someone replied to me so i replied to their post, but after my post appeared i saw the infraction (as mod post was on next page). so then i had already posted but then mod banned for me 1 week.

then after i was banned someone also pointed out on the thread all i did was post facts and their post was removed. i engaged with both mods but they are sticking to their decision. i posted this:

most of them were 80+ and going to die anyway.

50m people die every year around the world.

this is simple fact and has been said repeatedly in this forum in cv-19. how is posting facts against the charter? mod said it was callous but this again is not against charter.

I then explained my post:

Never said any of that.

But calling out the 1.3m deaths is sensationalist tabloid trash.

You should be calling out the extra COVID deaths this year.

From another thread - additional deaths are down 0.2% in Ireland in 2021 - so less old people died this year than last year.

This disease does not impact 95%+ of the worlds population and alot more people are going to die from non COVID illness due to the excessive lockdowns and restrictions in health services.

i think this is all reasonable and this appears complete censorship because a mod just does not agree with me?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can you confirm if you have tried to resolve this with the mod who banned you via PM? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yes I have pleaded my case with the mod who banned me (Ten of Swords) and the mod who gave me the infraction (Necro).

Both have said they are upholding their decision and suggest I come here to appeal, hence why I am here.

I have followed the process, per the charter within this forum.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Perfect, I'll let the cmods know.

Thank you. The original infraction giver Necro subsequently disputed my facts saying they were opinion (via PM).

I believe this is personal and this mod just does not agree with them but instead of pointing that out and joining the discussion just gave me an infraction/ban.

The average age of death in Ireland is 82.

The average age of someone with COVID dying in Ireland is 82.

That's just a fact, I can't see how you can ban someone for just (albeit bluntly) stating the fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Theboinkmaster,

I will be looking into this for you. When convenient can you either forward me all of your communication with the moderator or post it here as per your preference.

Thanks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Yes of course, here are all the PMs between myself and both mods:
    Necro wrote:
    Dear Theboinkmaster,

You have been infracted for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Necro

Moderator Note

Absolutely disgraceful comment, do not post in this thread again

Your post:
    johnire wrote: »
    1.3 million dead- how do you explain that away?

50m people die every year around the world.
    Dear Theboinkmaster,

You have been banned from Coronavirus (COVID-19) for one week for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Ten of Swords

Moderator Note

Ignored threadban

Your post:
    johnire wrote: »
    That's the most disgusting reply. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why? Both statements are factual.

You can google them yourself.

My point is not that I don’t care / it’s that you can’t lock up 100% of the population to protect 2%. More will then die from the locking up.
    Hi Theboinkmaster,

You were told by another moderator not to post in that thread again. You chose to post in the thread again and are now forum banned for one week as a result. The sequence of events is clear.

Kind regards
    How can I be banned for stating fact? Which then supported my position? I will absolutely be appealing this.
    Necro wrote:
    I’m sorry but how have I received infraction for being uncivil?! I posted some facts that support my position that I posted next?!

You put your point across in a very crude and callous manner in my view. No need for it whatsoever.

If you are unhappy with the decision you are free to use the Dispute Resolution Forum

Regards,

Necro
    Necro wrote:
    Sorry how was it rude? I stated the facts and then gave my position. There is nothing in the charter against stating facts is there and I was perfectly civil. I followed up my point to explain my position. You can’t give infection because you don’t like my fact that is not against the rules.

You stated:

You are aware that other posters may have had loved ones die because of Covid?

Your point is not factual either, it's an opinion - some may have been going to die but others may have lived for years.

As I said I'm not going to be overturning the decision so you may use the Dispute Resolution Forum

Regards,

Necro
    You were told not to post in the thread. You were notified in two different ways (by PM as part of your earlier infraction) and there was a post on thread specifically telling you not to post.

The moderator post on the thread was the post before yours and had been sitting there for 45 minutes before you posted. I find it hard to believe you did not see it.

If you're disputing the original threadban you should have waited until the outcome of that process. As it stands - you posted while threadbanned and have been forum banned for one week as a result.
    I replied to a message, I didn’t ignore anything. I only saw the infraction after I already posted my message as the mod posted last which appeared on the next page.
    No my point is I did not see the infraction. Someone replied to my post and I replied to their post. The mod post was on the next page so I only saw it after my post appeared online.

I am disputing the original infraction with that mod as all I did was post some facts.
    You were told not to post in the thread. You were notified in two different ways (by PM as part of your earlier infraction) and there was a post on thread specifically telling you not to post.

The moderator post on the thread was the post before yours and had been sitting there for 45 minutes before you posted. I find it hard to believe you did not see it.

If you're disputing the original threadban you should have waited until the outcome of that process. As it stands - you posted while threadbanned and have been forum banned for one week as a result.

the mod posted before me but i did not see it! i also did not see the pm notification on my browser.

i simply went into the thread, saw someone had replied to me so i clicked reply, does that make sense?

i only saw the mod post after my post loaded onto the page after theirs. i think thats a reasonable explanation and you could see easily how that would happen.

now as soon as i saw it i replied to infraction and appealing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks. Bear with me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Hi Theboinkmaster,

I've had a chance to look into this for you. 

Normally, DRP threads are only supposed to look at one sanction. However, I should have sought clarification above and did not. Looking primarily at the ban, I'm afraid that I have to uphold it.

You were infracted on the 23rd November at 17:29. The note clearly told you not to post in that thread again. The moderator also posted at 17:30 to clarify this on thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115394524&postcount=86

You posted again 45 minutes later at 18:15. I accept that while you may not have seen the infraction, I do feel that the resulting PM notification along with Necro's post on thread constitute reasonable warning not to post on the thread. 
    As for the infraction itself, I think that it is warranted. A lot of people are stressed at the moment with many losing loved ones, livelihoods, property, jobs, etc. The way you phrased your post was callous to put it politely. It comes across as merely shrugging while a lot of people are suffering and could be interpreted as looking for a reaction.

Please let me know if you would like an admin to review and I will flag it for you.

Regards,
    ancapailldorcha

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, I'll leave this open for another couple of days for you to confirm whether you wish this to be looked at by an Admin

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Marking resolved

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement