Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The rigours of becoming a doctor?

Options
  • 26-03-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have wanted to pursue medicine for many years. I have my place booked for September GAMSAT 2020 but I must admit I am doubting if I should pursue this. I am 30. This would be a career change for me. I also have a chronic health condition which causes me a lot of fatigue and brain fog at times...

I am in love with all things related to medicine and my own experience of crappy doctors has made me want to go into this field to provide a greater level of care. But then idealism is easy when you're on the outside looking in. I'm just not sure that I would have the strength physically or mentally to train in Ireland at this current point in time.

I wonder if I would be signing away all of my life to something that would be extremely unhealthy for me. Are there even any real supports for trainee doctors with their own health problems?

I can't see myself being physically able to work without sleeping or managing to work anything like 80 hours a week on a regular basis. But I do think I could make a good doctor. I am interested in lots of different areas of medicine too such as pathology which might allow me to have a greater work-life balance.

The loan for GEM is yet another hurdle that I need to consider. It is a huge commitment. What if my health deteriorates and I struggle to work and repay the loan?

Can anyone give me some advice? Sorry if this is all a bit rambling I have so much swimming in my brain right now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

Can I suggest you take out a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and write out the pros and cons.

Against the cons, write down what the mitigation could be. Put the piece of paper away for a few days and look at it with fresh eyes. You'll find your perspective has changed and you'll be a bit more objective.

I'd suggest repeating the exercise again which will then give you some further clarity.

I think you are overthinking things at the moment and need to take a step back.

Advertisement