Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 22-10-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

**MOD EDIT. We might as well change this to the women's thread rather then start a new one

Mod warning. Anyone being a sexist dick will just be banned. Yes, ladies play rugby (to a dam good level too) so get over it

Ladies - are you interested in taking up rugby or want to get back playing again? I've just joined a southside club, its fun and friendly with an excellent coach.

We train on Thursday evenings 7-8pm. Everybody welcome, I'm a complete beginner.

If you are interested or want to find out more let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Southside is a big place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

The club is based in Donnybrook - Old Wesley

Ah heard they were getting a team together. Delighted they got up and running. Some good local rivalry with Old Belvo. I assume ye will pick up some of their stragglers. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

cw girl wrote: »
    The club is based in Donnybrook - Old Wesley

What are your numbers like. We'll have to get over to yous for a friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Actually, it would be a good idea if there was a thread here stickied for women's rugby. Something that would contain fixtures, results, team news and also club contact details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Actually, it would be a good idea if there was a thread here stickied for women's rugby. Something that would contain fixtures, results, team news and also club contact details.

We can't sticky any more threads (as a general boards.ie rule), but like the j4/5 thread you'll find it'll pop up in the first page feed so long as it's kept updated.

If you need anything put into the OP (link to fixtures/results etc) I can do that.

.ak wrote: »
    We can't sticky any more threads (as a general boards.ie rule), but like the j4/5 thread you'll find it'll pop up in the first page feed so long as it's kept updated.

If you need anything put into the OP (link to fixtures/results etc) I can do that.

Point taken on stickies; too many of them and it all but takes over the place.

I'll get a bit of work done on this over the next few days and collate some essential content; club contact points, match details, branch news etc.

Point taken on stickies; too many of them and it all but takes over the place.

I'll get a bit of work done on this over the next few days and collate some essential content; club contact points, match details, branch news etc.
    If you need a hand give me a shout

From the Munster rugby website:

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/12415.php#.UmfNsnDktQE
    Highfield entertained a travelling Galwegians side on Sunday 20th October claiming a 33-0 victory at Woodleigh Park maintaining second place in the table.
    With five wins from five Dublin side Old Belvedere defeated current league holders UL Bohemian 29-5 at home topping the group on 24 points.

Tralee hosted Portlaoise at Ballyard coming away with a 12-6 win which sees them take seventh place overall in the league.

In Division 2 south Fermoy took the spoils against travelling side Ballincollig finishing up 8-5.

With the AIL table here: http://www.irishrugby.ie/women/womens_all_ireland_league_tables.php

1 Old Belvedere 5 5 0 0 185 26 159 4 0 24
    2 Highfield 5 4 0 1 118 35 83 3 1 20
    3 Blackrock 5 4 0 1 142 79 63 3 0 19
    4 U.L. Bohemian 5 2 0 3 101 85 16 3 1 12
    5 Galwegians 5 2 0 3 71 122 -51 2 0 10
    6 St. Mary's 5 2 0 3 75 129 -54 0 0 8
    7 Tralee 5 1 0 4 35 91 -56 0 1 5
    8 Portlaoise RFC 5 0 0 5 21 181 -160 0 1 1

Strong showing from OB this season. It is particularly impressive given they have 3 competitive teams (1 AIL, 2 Leinster divisions).

The biggest surprise (for most) is UL Bohs have won only two of their opening fixtures.

Tralee are showing good work in their opening season as AIL 1 - they stood toe to toe with Marys recently, with just a last minute try denying them the spoils.

Dates have been confirmed for the womens interpros with Munster looking to retain the title

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/29920.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Thud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

From the FAQ thread there is a 'pimp your club' thread here you can also add the details there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ladies game really doing well in Leinster. Plenty of clubs across several levels looking at the Leinster website(quick look shows 4 divisions)
    Think there is only 2 in Munster. There is also 2 AIL division 2 sections where most sides competing are from Leinster
    Munster sides have traditionally dominated the AIL(UL Bohs have won last 4 AIL division 1 titles) but like the mens league Leinster sides are really emerging as top top sides

Great to see plenty of clubs starting up underage sections and those sections flourishing

Munster have a development league and what they call division 2. Div 2 is not just Munster though I don't think. New Ross play in that division. Also has teams that have dropped out of Div 1 - Ballincollig is one. This league was where Tralee started and now they're AIL1 in just a few years (Tralee were development in 2009).

Development league has teams like Cobh, Dungarvan, Abbeyfeale (which are in their 2nd/3rd season) and then new/reforming teams. Clubs with 2 teams play their J1s in this league.

It's quite competitive! And well run, well managed and well organised.

From a Leinster POV there are 4 leagues AND AIL.

There are numerous clubs in Dublin but very few on the Northside (niche in the market for any clubs looking to get new members! Clontarf and Malahide HAD teams but they have lapsed. Unidare train but don't have a team afaik). Other Dublin clubs: Railway (2-3 teams), Belvo (2-3 teams), Trinity, Marys (2 teams), Old Wesley, Clondalkin (promoted last season), UCD, Blackrock.

Other counties have teams too - Carlow City have 2 teams, Tullow (trained by SOB sometimes) have a team. Enniscorthy. Mullingar. Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Unidare have entered a team in the development league.
    Drew 17-17 with Tallaght in their first ever game a week or two ago.

Awww wow thats great! I had heard they were trying to get up and running but hadn't heard of fixtures etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Heroditas wrote: »
    Unidare have entered a team in the development league.
    Drew 17-17 with Tallaght in their first ever game a week or two ago.

It's a week of firsts for me, first post, first game, first unidare ladies try :-D contact rugby is way more fun than tag!

Hersheys wrote: »
    Awww wow thats great! I had heard they were trying to get up and running but hadn't heard of fixtures etc.

If you know of any girls on the north side who want to play tell them about us! We only have about 12 players at the moment (thank god for the 10 a side allowance for development teams!) most of whom played that game against tallaght with less than a month's training

If you know of any girls on the north side who want to play tell them about us! We only have about 12 players at the moment (thank god for the 10 a side allowance for development teams!) most of whom played that game against tallaght with less than a month's training

I'm trying to get some of my friends to take it up :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi ruckingswimmer. Where do you guys train / play?

I play. I have played for maybe 10 years. I love it. I have a coloured past with teams: DCU, Clontarf, Trinity, Fermoy, Trinity, Mary's. Although I'm yet to play a game for Mary's due to injury.

I am a forward. I've played every position in the scrum but enjoy propping :) (I'm weird like that!)

Well done on your first try in your first match. It's a great feeling.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Hi ruckingswimmer. Where do you guys train / play?

I play. I have played for maybe 10 years. I love it. I have a coloured past with teams: DCU, Clontarf, Trinity, Fermoy, Trinity, Mary's. Although I'm yet to play a game for Mary's due to injury.

I am a forward. I've played every position in the scrum but enjoy propping :) (I'm weird like that!)

Well done on your first try in your first match. It's a great feeling.

Hi sullivlo, we train in Malahide rugby club (Mondays and Wednesdays @ 7.30pm) and play matches in Mount Temple on the Malahide road for the moment. Balcurris Park in Ballymun is the club's home ground but there's work being done on it at the moment.

I'm playing hooker at the moment as the coaches realised I could throw and we've no one else who'll play in the position! One of the girls we have playing prop is more suited to play flank or no8 so another prop would be more than welcome ;-)

Scoring the try was great, particularly as I didn't fall over my own two feet like I normally do when I run!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi sullivlo, we train in Malahide rugby club (Mondays and Wednesdays @ 7.30pm) and play matches in Mount Temple on the Malahide road for the moment. Balcurris Park in Ballymun is the club's home ground but there's work being done on it at the moment.

I'm playing hooker at the moment as the coaches realised I could throw and we've no one else who'll play in the position! One of the girls we have playing prop is more suited to play flank or no8 so another prop would be more than welcome ;-)

Scoring the try was great, particularly as I didn't fall over my own two feet like I normally do when I run!

Will have a chat to Leinster branch about dual status ability ;) I'm already playing for another team see.

No use to ye at the minute though. I'm injured. Ankle/foot ligaments. Should be back in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Thud

Ireland in tough pool for the world cup:
    http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/pools/index.html

will get to play Kiwi's for first time

Thud wrote: »
    Ireland in tough pool for the world cup:
    http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/pools/index.html

will get to play Kiwi's for first time
    Its a great opportunity for Ireland. Whilst the Black Ferns will pose a huge threat Ireland can put it up to them.

Early result today from the development league; Unidare 17, CYM 46.

Credit to Unidare; they are a tough tackling team who scrummaged well and never let up throughout against a more skilful, experienced and free scoring CYM. Keep it up and a bright future beckons for them.

Early result today from the development league; Unidare 17, CYM 46.

Credit to Unidare; they are a tough tackling team who scrummaged well and never let up throughout against a more skilful, experienced and free scoring CYM. Keep it up and a bright future beckons for them.

Thanks Losty! Really tough game, but really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Was a pleasure to watch. In fairness cym fully deserved their win but our girls learnt so much from the game. Can't wait for the next game

We lost to tallaght by 2 points from a try scored in the last seconds of play - heartbreaking, but we know how much we've improved in our 3 games! Lots of hard tackles today so there'll be a few sore bodies in the morning!

We lost to tallaght by 2 points from a try scored in the last seconds of play - heartbreaking, but we know how much we've improved in our 3 games! Lots of hard tackles today so there'll be a few sore bodies in the morning!
    Hard luck.

How is recruitment going? Do you need a hand trying to get fresh blood, I mean, new players?

sullivlo wrote: »
    Hard luck.

How is recruitment going? Do you need a hand trying to get fresh blood, I mean, new players?

Thanks sullivlo

Recruitment is kind of frozen at the moment, we've 12 players coming regularly so it's better than a few weeks ago when we only had 10! We keep hearing more people are coming down but there's only so much begging people we can do!

We also recorded our first win - greystones had to concede through injuries last week. They are in the same boat as us, only have 10/12 players so when you lose 4 to injuries there's not much you can do!

• Advertisement

That sounds like a great performance by you guys. Tallaght are a tough team to play; holding them that close is something else.

Advertisement