Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

vibe666 wrote: »
    they will generally process everything that comes through based on the declared value, occasionally opening stuff up to see that what's inside matches what's been declared if they are in the mood.

a friend sent us some baby presents from Oz a couple of months ago and declared the value as $500AU thinking that if it got lost that we'd get 500 quid for it, not thinking that customs would just charge import duties based on the $500 declaration (shocking for someone with a masters degree, but i digress).

the postman turned up with it and my wife refused to take it. he said that she should appeal it and get them to open it up, which they did and then let us off without any charge as the real value wasn't very much at all and it was genuinely gifts for our new baby.

anyway, i have a trick for greasing the wheels as far as customs goes, so i'll let you know when they are delivered if it worked or not, don't want to jinx it. :)

Greasing the wheels eh? Please do tell :) Im gonna order a touch for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

iknorr wrote: »
    Greasing the wheels eh? Please do tell :) Im gonna order a touch for herself.
    buy some more things, at least one of qhich should have a significantly bigger box, but not particularly heavy (or expensive) and when all the items arrive at your viaddress get them to *repackage* them all into a single parcel (which they'll do for free, but it takes 3-4 days as they're busy this time of year), then update your manifest with the items price and description as this is used on the outside of the box and what customs will check, and subsequently charge.

don't forget to take account dimensional weight (check the fedex website for details) that will mean some larger sized but light weight parcels are subject to extra shipping costs due to their bulk, not just their weight.

if you were to accidentally forget to list one or two of the items in the package off the manifest (unless they were to open and inspect the contents) they can only charge you import duties and tax based on what is declared on the label.

of course i wouldn't be suggesting you actually do this as i imagine it would be classed as fraud or possibly even smuggling if it was done on purpose, but accidents do happen. :)

obviously, any information here is for informational purposes only, etc. etc. :D

Is it possible to change the delivery address on viaaddress?

As in, i want to buy it. My registered address with viaaddress in ireland is X, but i want to send it to Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Just wondering is there kindles in Tesco at the moment ???
    Can't find anything much here about same in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

soundsham wrote: »
    Just wondering is there kindles in Tesco at the moment ???
    Can't find anything much here about same in the thread

Mightn't be in every store but yes they do have them. For example in Mahon Point there's a disply right in front of the entrance. They have the new kindle wifi for 110 euro and the old kindle keyboard 3g for 195 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Did you get your package this morning vibe? If so, did your plan work?! :)

I see simplyelectronics are selling the Kindle Fire for €209 with free delivery.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=14879&setcurrency=eur

Seems an alright price without the hassle of importing and taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

cisk wrote: »
    I see simplyelectronics are selling the Kindle Fire for €209 with free delivery.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=14879&setcurrency=eur

Seems an alright price without the hassle of importing and taxes.

Careful!! There are enough posts on Boards to make you stay clear of SimplyElectronics - loads of people scammed

SimplyElectronics Limited
    1501-1508, Millennium City 5,
    418 Kwun Tong Road,
    Kwun Tong, Kowloon,
    HongKong

Thats why its hard to find a european address on their website. Their page changes its phone number & look depending on which country your in. ( use a proxy to check it out)

So 209 + import tax & horrible service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Ste- wrote: »

Yes - as you can see it's cheaper elsewhere so I wouldn't buy in tesco. The other cheaper one is this one
    Link
    where PC world beat tescos price by a full euro. Apparently, as discussed elsewhere, these were being sold in Dixons in Dublin airport for 99 euro but I don't know if that's still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Does the Tesco Kindle for €109 come with a power adaptor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

paulaa wrote: »

nope none of them do, they charge trough usb

you can buy the adapter separate in tesco for around €10 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

paulaa wrote: »

You will pick one up on ebay/deal extreme for less than €5.Its a micro usb charger,my HTC phone charger works on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

walshki wrote: »
    Yes - as you can see it's cheaper elsewhere so I wouldn't buy in tesco. The other cheaper one is this one
    Link
    where PC world beat tescos price by a full euro.
    Well just to be picky...... you will get 110 Clubcard points from Tesco - so Tesco beats PC World by 10 whole cents! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

I bought one of these last night, I bought the one without the keypad. Which is 110 even though the sign says 115, and I'm regretting it now, is the wifi on this one useless without the keypad? Do you download books with your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭jamesd

samina wrote: »
    I bought one of these last night, I bought the one without the keypad. Which is 110 even though the sign says 115, and I'm regretting it now, is the wifi on this one useless without the keypad? Do you download books with your laptop?
    No you download the books via the kindle from amazon - there is a virtual keyboard on it. It's as good as the keyboard model for someone who won't be doing much typing just reading.

Thanks Jamesd, I read on here that the touch one isn't available here so thought it must have no keyboard.

Thanks Jamesd, I read on here that the touch one isn't available here so thought it must have no keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

mossy2390 wrote: »
    nope none of them do, they charge trough usb

you can buy the adapter separate in tesco for around €10 i think
    yabadabado wrote: »
    You will pick one up on ebay/deal extreme for less than €5.Its a micro usb charger,my HTC phone charger works on mine.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

walshki wrote: »
    Link
    where PC world beat tescos price by a full euro. Apparently, as discussed elsewhere, these were being sold in Dixons in Dublin airport for 99 euro but I don't know if that's still running.

i bought one in the airport this week.
    price was €99. I had one of them DAA airport vouchers for €10 but they said they said dixons are not part of that voucher deal. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Mine came with an adaptor plug! :confused:

should be about $38 dollars for a kindle on it's own, but mine includes a rather large childens toy and was about $260 dollars, so i'm probably not the best person to ask. :D

on the bright side, the kindle postage was practically free when added to the toy postage, so it's not all bad.

Well, how did u get on with taxes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I just bought the Kindle touch for €75. I'm lucky enough that I could get it sent to a friend in Boston and he is coming home for Christmas on the 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

TomCo wrote: »
    The new model is €99 in the airport btw. Thats even cheaper than amazon!

Whereabouts in the airport? Any specific shop? Couldn't find on the online The Loop website.

iknorr wrote: »
    Is it possible to change the delivery address on viaaddress?

As in, i want to buy it. My registered address with viaaddress in ireland is X, but i want to send it to Y.
    they will always send it to your registered address, but you can change that in your account settings.

i registered with one address, but i moved house before my first package was going to be sent so i asked them to send it to the new address and they had no problem with it.

the one thing to watch out for is that when you forward on a package from your viaddress, they don't ask you where to send it, they just automatically send it to your registered address, so make sure you have the address changed before you forward on the package.

garion wrote: »
    Did you get your package this morning vibe? If so, did your plan work?! :)
    sorry, i've been offline whilst we were moving house, but yes it did work, not even a sniff of customs at all, it came straight through. :D

one children's toy in a big box, valuded at $125, plus a kindle fire and a kindle touch hidden inside and not even a sniff of any customs charges a all, so i'm well chuffed. :D

i had to pay extra on the children's toy due to it's "dimensional weight" as i think i mentioned earlier, but not having to pay customs on the toy or the kindles has more than made up for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

sorry, i've been offline whilst we were moving house, but yes it did work, not even a sniff of customs at all, it came straight through. :D

one children's toy in a big box, valuded at $125, plus a kindle fire and a kindle touch hidden inside and not even a sniff of any customs charges a all, so i'm well chuffed. :D

i had to pay extra on the children's toy due to it's "dimensional weight" as i think i mentioned earlier, but not having to pay customs on the toy or the kindles has more than made up for that. :)

I can see the economics of this working for an iPad2, but for a USD100 kindle ?

i was buying a kindle touch and a kindle fire, neither of which are available here.

i was also buying a children's toy which wasn't available outside of the US, so economics wasn't exactly the main driving point behind my purchases. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Great news Vibe, congrats. Hopefully mine won't get caught now too! :)

Advertisement