Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindles in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Pixied wrote: »
    Can someone pls clear something up for me?

Is the Kindle Touch differant to the Kindle 4 on sale in PC World?

Is the Touch a better model?

If so, is the only place I can buy it via Amazon.com?

Hubby has promised me one for my birthday and want to get the right one ;)

Thanks a mill!!

Yes, the Touch is different to the Kindle 4 on sale in shops here. As someone said, there's a useful comparison between models on Amazon's Kindle page. The Touch is only available in the U.S. at the moment, Amazon won't deliver it to Europe. I would say the Touch is slightly better than the Kindle 4 because it has more memory and a better battery life (although this is largely down to the way it handles page turns by default). Also the fact that it has a proper (touchscreen) keyboard is a bonus, as trying to type anything into the Kindle 4 would be pretty laborious!

I got a Touch for Christmas and I'm pleased with it so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Great stuff! Thanks for the info. A Kindle and cover is winging it's way to Indiana as we speak. Any tips on shipping using viaaddress?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Keep an eye on the free books selection which changes every now and then:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_157681107_36?ie=UTF8&node=434020031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=12MNDC906R7XSTYEQN08&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=269131607&pf_rd_i=341689031

There is always the free out of copyright ones, but you will usually also find a few interesting ones in the "Limited time offers" list as well which keeps on changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 maggiewhite

To Pixied

Look further back on pages 13-15 on this thread, there is info about viaddress.
    I bought a kindle fire by following that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Aparently theres an invoice at home for me from Fedex.... fedex via address used to deliver my kindle from the USA....

Edit: Just checked it
    Disbursements out of the scope of EU Vat: 6.12
    Clearance 0
    Vat 0
    Other charges 0

Has anyone any idea what that charge of 6.12 is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I read there on RTE that Amazon sold over a million Kindles a week in December, impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have a One For All burning a hole in my pocket right now. Where is the best place to buy one?

Do some come with a case and some not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

BB You can get the basic Kindle model for €109 in Currys / PC World and for €110 in Tesco (but you get €1.10 back in clubcard points). They sell them in Tesco in the Crescent and I saw them in the Currys on William St. Pretty sure Currys take one4all vouchers and Argos in Cruises St also have it in stock for 109.

None of them come with covers automatically but Tesco & Currys sell them for between €15-40. You can get cheaper ones online though - I got a really nice one on ebay for less than €14.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

BB You can get the basic Kindle model for €109 in Currys / PC World and for €110 in Tesco (but you get €1.10 back in clubcard points). They sell them in Tesco in the Crescent. None of them come with covers automatically but Tesco & Currys sell them for between €15-40. You can get cheaper ones online though - I got a really nice one on ebay for less than €14.

Think I'll just head to Argos so if they are not included. Missus has a €10 voucher and I have €150 on the OneforAll. Tesco don't take OneForAlls so their loss.

Childers road is open till 9pm. I'm off out now to get it. Saw some Covers on Ebay. Some good Irish sellers with good pricing as well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

NewHillel wrote: »
    You have two options for games:

1. Root your Kindle and use the generic Android marketplace.

2. Download the games to an android phone and transfer accross.

Google is your friend for instructions of both.
    the third option for the kindle fire that i haven't actually seen anyone mention (not anywhere, not sure why) is to google for the apk file of the app you want (.apk is the android equiv. of a windows install .exe file) and just email it to your gmail account and open it up on your kindle fire to run the installer.

tried it with a few apps inc. angry birds and it works a treat.

also, if you have an android phone, you can get a few different apk managers which will allow you to share apps installed on your phone by several different methods inc. emailing the apk file to your kindle fire directly from the phone.

OR, you can google for the apk files from your kindle fire and download them directly. just remember to open them as soon as they are downloaded as there isn't a file manager built into the KF, so you'll need to install one to access any downloaded files once the download notification has disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DublinDil

Thanks for the advice Dazcush,

Got Kindle for Xmas registered to .com and voucher for .co.uk was at the point of tearing my hair out. Did what you advised, kindle now registered to .co.uk using brothers address in UK. Fingers crossed.

thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Do they sell the Tesco cases in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Tesco's have some Kindle cases, yeah.

Hi Everyone

My Kindle Touch seems to be 'stuck' in Indiana. Paid the shipping and there is no movement on my kindle. No reply when I have opened a ticket and there is no contact number for this company. After searching google it appears some people have had problems getting their items from Viaddress even when they have previously had no problems at all.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing via Amazon.com..maybe think about using one of the other companies. Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Maybe it has just been held up because of Christmas holidays. Mine took a day or two to be picked up by Fedex and each time I checked it was "processing". Mine is in Stansted at the moment since 30th Dec, but presumably this is because of holidays. How long is it since you paid for shipping?

I just checked - mine was delivered to Viaaddress on morning of 28th Dec, shipped out evening of 29th, and arrived in Stansted next day.

Today is New Years Day and possibly a holiday in US, dont panic yet

Cheers Kildaremum, have to say your post did help ;)

Don't think I will use Viaddress again after reading everything on the internet. I found out a particular detective from their local Sherriffs office has been handling problems connected to them for over the last year now. So when I emailed them again I included his contact details. No reponse to my helpdesk ticket that has been open for 3 days. But I just checked and they have moved my order over to the shipped section but without shipping details so fingers crossed!!

Thanks againI

iknorr wrote: »
    Aparently theres an invoice at home for me from Fedex.... fedex via address used to deliver my kindle from the USA....

Edit: Just checked it
    Disbursements out of the scope of EU Vat: 6.12
    Clearance 0
    Vat 0
    Other charges 0

Has anyone any idea what that charge of 6.12 is?
    Hi. I got a bill today from fedex.
    Disbursements 31.22( Import tax)
    Admin charges 10.00
    Vat 2.10
    For the majority of imports fedex is not aware of the charges levied by customs until after they are delivered. Fedex then invoices the charges to you soon after delivery.

Has anyone else got an invoice from them?

I just received my Kindle Touch today. I was delighted that it seemed to have missed the import charges etc., but maybe I havent and a FedEx bill is winging its way to me.

Hi. I got a bill today from fedex.
    Disbursements 31.22( Import tax)
    Admin charges 10.00
    Vat 2.10
    For the majority of imports fedex is not aware of the charges levied by customs until after they are delivered. Fedex then invoices the charges to you soon after delivery.

Has anyone else got an invoice from them?

6.12 disbursements though. no admin charges...no vat.

What are disbursements out of scope of eu vat?

6.12 disbursements though. no admin charges...no vat.

What are disbursements out of scope of eu vat?

Disbursements - costs you can exclude from the VAT calculation
    If you sometimes pay suppliers on behalf of your customers, and you pass on the cost to your customers when you invoice them, then you might be able to leave out these payments from the VAT calculation. In this situation it's the customer, not you, who buys and receives the goods or services - you're acting as their agent. This type of payment is known as a 'disbursement' for VAT purposes.

• Advertisement

How is disbursement calculated if it was 6.10 for one customer and 31.22 for someone else. Is it based on the declared value of the item and that 10.00 admin charges. Surely if FedEx charge $40 for a small package, paperwork administration is part of the service.

Has everyone been billed like this from FedEx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kildaremum wrote: »
    How is disbursement calculated if it was 6.10 for one customer and 31.22 for someone else. Is it based on the declared value of the item and that 10.00 admin charges. Surely if FedEx charge $40 for a small package, paperwork administration is part of the service.

If a parcel needs to be cleared through Customs there will be a charge on it.

kildaremum wrote: »
    mine was delivered at the end of november and i haven't had anything yet (touch wood) but maybe i got around it because the kindles were packed inside a larger box containing a children's toy and they were not declared. not sure if children's toys are excluded or not, maybe that worked in my favour? (if anyone knows?)

Disbursements - costs you can exclude from the VAT calculation
    If you sometimes pay suppliers on behalf of your customers, and you pass on the cost to your customers when you invoice them, then you might be able to leave out these payments from the VAT calculation. In this situation it's the customer, not you, who buys and receives the goods or services - you're acting as their agent. This type of payment is known as a 'disbursement' for VAT purposes.

Strange though. So basically a charge that fedex paid on my behalf which isnt vat, clearance/customs related. So what is it then?
    If Viaaddress paid Fedex to deliver & theres no vat or customs/clearance then how is there a disbursement charge when i paid viaddress directly?

Or am i missing something?

I have tried contacting fedex by the online contact form but iv got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

What a palava....
    Just go into Tesco and buy one......
    Zzzzzzzzzz

fisherking wrote: »
    What a palava....
    Just go into Tesco and buy one......
    Zzzzzzzzzz

Sigh, you can not get a touch in tesco or anywhere else outside the us.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Got charged €25 off fedex for customs duties :( - bill arrived maybe 2 weeks after the kindle

Sigh, you can not get a touch in tesco or anywhere else outside the us.
    maybe he's a time traveller. :)

corklad32 wrote: »
    Got charged €25 off fedex for customs duties :( - bill arrived maybe 2 weeks after the kindle

what was the breakdown of the charges ?

How much did u get viaaddress to display?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jeremyr62

I gat a bill off FEDEX when I ordered some (expensive) sunglasses from the US. Never paid it. Got one reminder, but that was it, they never pursued it. That was about 5 years ago so maybe it has changed now.

Advertisement