Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Theft of Items from our Baby’s Grave

• 21-11-2019 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi People. In the last couple of months items ( toys that her cousins gave her) have been going missing from my baby’s resting place. On the first occasion 3 action hero figures went missing, These were replace with 5 new figures all similar to what were taken. These 5 figures have now been removed. My wife and I are dismayed as to how anybody could do this, let alone to Baby. — I guess my reason for posting here is.. Can anyone recommend a camera or anything at all that I could get to film what is going on. I would need something with a long life as unfortunately we cannot be there all the time to see who is doing this.

Many thanks In Advance,

A Distraught Parent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they'll just take the camera...

(sorry for your loss)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cullieh

they'll just take the camera...

(sorry for your loss)

There are Trees and Bushes locates next to her grave.I am sure I can set it up that it won’t be seen. - I just want these lowlifes caught as it will just continue otherwise.

Thanks for the condolences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

That just hurts my fricking heart. So sorry to read it...

Might there be a type of spy camera that wouldn't be easily spotted/could be hidden elsewhere? Grave interference is unfortunately not super unusual - if you ask someone in the security industry, they might know of something specific.

Pieces of sh1t - can't believe the pain some get off on causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op it might just be kids taking them.
    Even if it's a junkie robbing them, it's not a battle worth fighting.
    I'd say stop leaving such items on the grave if it's going to upset you when they go missing.

Maybe give toys to charity instead.

Just to add.. There are people who believe it's tacky to leave a lot of toys at a grave.. Esp older people. Well, complain all you want but they might be clearing them away. I still don't think setting up a camera will bring you any peace.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    That just hurts my fricking heart. So sorry to read it...

Might there be a type of spy camera that wouldn't be easily spotted/could be hidden elsewhere? Grave interference is unfortunately not super unusual - if you ask someone in the security industry, they might know of something specific.

Pieces of sh1t - can't believe the pain some get off on causing.

Thanks for the heartfelt response. We will certainly be looking into doing something as it can not continue.
    Thanks again

antix80 wrote: »
    I'd say stop leaving such items on the grave if it's going to upset you when they go missing.

It most likely is Kids. I certainly will not let thieves stop me from placing toys on my daughters grave. I would prefer them to be stopped rather than stopping giving her gifts. There is not much more we can do for her

antix80 wrote: »

Just to add.. There are people who believe it's tacky to leave a lot of toys at a grave.. Esp older people. Well, complain all you want but they might be clearing them away. I still don't think setting up a camera will bring you any peace.

Well we certainly do not find it as you put it, Tacky. Anyway I know you are trying to be of help, just maybe not the advice I was looking for.

Thanks all the same.

I'm seeing "Leave the scumbags to it" here. And the items initially removed were replaced so it's not as cut and dry as e.g. people removing them due to thinking they're tacky. Also, what kind of **** would remove toys from a baby's grave, whatever the reason?

"Thumbcam".

: Euromart used to sell them. Try larger store. Their battery will run out after a few hours though. :(

Maybe buy a few of them. Still unlikely to find culprits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I understand your frustration OP, but I think the better course of action would be to report the incident to the Gardaí and allow them to investigate, rather than the idea of setting up a camera.

I'm seeing "Leave the scumbags to it" here. And the items initially removed were replaced so it's not as cut and dry as e.g. people removing them due to thinking they're tacky. Also, what kind of **** would remove toys from a baby's grave, whatever the reason?

Thanks ... Everyones view is different I guess. There must be about 20 teddy’s on a bench and another 10 toys up by her headstone left by her cousins and my wife and I. They keep taking the same (Pj masks ) ones. They are of no value to anyone except to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would say it's just little kids taking them as they spot them and are interested in them and they're unattended toys. And they dont undertsand what theyre doing. I cant imagine any adult is deliberately doing this to upset you, as you say they have no value. Still worth a look into Im sure.

"Thumbcam".

: Euromart used to sell them. Try larger store. Their battery will run out after a few hours though. :(

Maybe buy a few of them. Still unlikely to find culprits

Thanks- Will check that out. Appreciated.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would say it's just little kids taking them as they spot them and are interested in them and they're unattended toys. And they dont undertsand what theyre doing. I cant imagine any adult is deliberately doing this to upset you. Still worth a look into Im sure.
    What little kids would be in a graveyard though? Other than those accompanied by an adult.

I understand your frustration OP, but I think the better course of action would be to report the incident to the Gardaí and allow them to investigate, rather than the idea of setting up a camera.

We have got her replacements, and we will see how that goes, To be honest I don’t think the Garda will do much but again it all depends on which Garda you get. Thanks for that

What little kids would be in a graveyard though? Other than those accompanied by an adult.

Our thoughts exactly. Unless parents are stealing them for their kids instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Maybe locals? Depends on the graveyard in question but some graveyards act like parks with spacious pathways around graves and spaces to walk and jog. Glasnevin for instance.

I would say it's just little kids taking them as they spot them and are interested in them and they're unattended toys. And they dont undertsand what theyre doing. I cant imagine any adult is deliberately doing this to upset you, as you say they have no value. Still worth a look into Im sure.

Thanks Wakka, No matter what way we look at it it is just so wrong whoever is doing it. If it is kids, where are the parents, and if it is adults stealing them for their kids, well that is beyond belief

Trailcam from Amazon. But, even though it must break your heart, there is little you can do about it. Even if you identify them from the footage will the gaurds do anything?
    One point that may help, you should know that the theft is not personal to you or your child. It's just someone with serious problems doing crazy ****. What kind of human takes toys from a child's grave? Your baby might feel sorry for such sad people.

• Advertisement

Maybe locals? Depends on the graveyard in question but some graveyards act like parks with spacious pathways around graves and spaces to walk and jog. Glasnevin for instance.

It is possible that kids from a relatively close estate are going in there. Not sure why they would, unless of course to steal toys, as that have a huge green to play on. Also what do the parent say/do when they see the kids with the said toys... presuming it is the Kids of course

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

At a funeral? Kids will be running around unsupervised.. that they were replaced the first time sounds like maybe parents found out. 2nd time probably different kids

Trailcam from Amazon. But, even though it must break your heart, there is little you can do about it. Even if you identify them from the footage will the gaurds do anything?
    One point that may help, you should know that the theft is not personal to you or your child. It's just someone with serious problems doing crazy ****. What kind of human takes toys from a child's grave? Your baby might feel sorry for such sad people.

Thank you for that reply. I don’t really know what it would achieve, it just breaks our heart that our innocent baby’s toys are being stolen.

Not sure what I would do either if we did get a camera and caught those responsible. I have a feeling I would get into a lot more trouble than they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Hunting/wildlife camera. Long battery, detects movement, designed for outdoors. Have you asked the caretakers? They may have removed them. My brother's grave had a small fence around it and a little statue for 20 years that was removed by the caretakers due to the rules being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think there is a hell of a lot you can do. Leaving a camera around... well if toys go missing so can a camera even if hidden to a degree. Also if the staff of the cemetery find it they’ll just take it. I doubt they’d be happy about an unapproved recording device in a sensitive location like a cemetery. Have you thought about getting toys mounted in a glass display that could somehow be affixed to the grave ? Even if it was kids they’d be with parents so it shouldn’t have happened.

A few years ago the expensive stone flower vase/pot went missing from my sisters grave and before that flowers went missing from the vase itself. We found it on a grave directly behind but two rows away... it was an expensive stone one and heavy so it couldn’t just have been blown away and put on the wrong grave by accident...

Unfortunately if you are a horrible robbing cûnt the location of your evil endeavors doesn’t matter so much... it’s want it...take it...it’s ingrained in certain mindsets.

At a funeral? Kids will be running around unsupervised.. that they were replaced the first time sounds like maybe parents found out. 2nd time probably different kids

Sorry I may have worded the post wrong, They were replaced by us after the first time. Not by the people who took them unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Placing a camera in a public place will most likely end up with you getting in trouble not the thieves. While you have no right to privacy in public, this means that a person can take pictures or videos in public, setting up a spy/trail camera to record a public place is a big no no. That's even if a graveyard is considered public and not private, where you definitely can't set up a camera unless it's your private property. Even home CCTV isn't supposed to record any public areas.

Strumms wrote: »
    I don’t think there is a hell of a lot you can do. Leaving a camera around... well if toys go missing so can a camera even if hidden to a degree. Also if the staff of the cemetery find it they’ll just take it. I doubt they’d be happy about an unapproved recording device in a sensitive location like a cemetery. Have you thought about getting toys mounted in a glass display that could somehow be affixed to the grave ? Even if it was kids they’d be with parents so it shouldn’t have happened.

A few years ago the expensive stone flower vase/pot went missing from my sisters grave and before that flowers went missing from the vase itself. We found it on a grave directly behind but two rows away... it was an expensive stone one and heavy so it couldn’t just have been blown away and put on the wrong grave by accident...

Unfortunately if you are a horrible robbing cûnt the location of your evil endeavors doesn’t matter so much... it’s want it...take it...it’s ingrained in certain mindsets.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of you’re sister. Isn’t it awful that we have to go to such measures to keep our loved ones items safe. Some people have no shame!

Jet Black wrote: »
    Hunting/wildlife camera. Long battery, detects movement, designed for outdoors. Have you asked the caretakers? They may have removed them. My brother's grave had a small fence around it and a little statue for 20 years that was removed by the caretakers due to the rules being enforced.

Thanks Jet. No we didn’t say it to the caretakers to tell you the truth. Surely they would say it to us prior to removing them if it was them. Also these toys are in no way offensive, there are teddy bears of the toy that go untouched. They are just small figurines that someone takes a shining to

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Placing a camera in a public place will most likely end up with you getting in trouble not the thieves. While you have no right to privacy in public, this means that a person can take pictures or videos in public, setting up a spy/trail camera to record a public place is a big no no. That's even if a graveyard is considered public and not private, where you definitely can't set up a camera unless it's your private property. Even home CCTV isn't supposed to record any public areas.

Cheers man. I think I will say to the caretakers what is happening maybe the church has cameras although I walked around the building many times and never saw any.

By the sounds of it the guilty win then eh!

Advertisement