Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premiership Rugby 2019-20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Scythica wrote: »

Schmidt to win the Prem and/or European Cup then go on to be Jones' successor in England.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Buer wrote: »
    I assume he'll be replacing Afoa who is surely retiring at this point.

Bristol splashed the cash when they were coming up but, when you actually look at their squad, I don't think they've too many stars at all. 2 or 3 properly big names and then some fringe internationals.

Very Pat Lam strategy, have a handful of top quality individuals to set the pace and push standards and maximise the potential of surrounding players that would be considered to be average league players elsewhere.

If they continue on their current trajectory they will be serious competitors in the next season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1228431319115456512

Not always been his biggest fan, but good on him for having a bit of a sense of humour about the ball-dropping. He jokes about it post-match too in an interview with Steenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Confirmed that Dai Young is leaving Wasps after 9 years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Isiekwe, Spencer and Earl would be huge losses in terms of squad depth for them, they've all played a fair number of games for them this season and put in stellar performances.

Nadolo signed for Tigers

This Northhampton v Saracens game is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Live fast, Dai Young.

Quins should have about 17 penalty trys at this stage. Shocking reffing of the advantage at the end of ordinary time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Quins Vs Exeter is terrific.

Exeter winning by 3 points with a man down in the 86th minute. Quins have a scrum on Exeter's 5 metre line.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Live fast, Dai Young.

Quins should have about 17 penalty trys at this stage. Shocking reffing of the advantage at the end of ordinary time.

Just got it there.

Gives them.their try bonus point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The ref was always going to keep going there until Harlequins either scored or he could give a penalty try after the refs mistake.

BT excoriating the referee in the Exeter game. Say there's no way it was a penalty try. Rob Baxter now complaining to the ref about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Edit: Ref was playing on until however long it took to correct his error. Not good enough. Ben Kaye excoriating him now for not observing the rules. Its actually an embarrassing few minutes for him after an efficient 95% of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Hum dinger between Sars and Nor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Chris Ashtons contract with Sale Sharks terminated with immediate affect. Agreed by both parties.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Chris Ashtons contract with Sale Sharks terminated with immediate affect. Agreed by both parties.

Apparently he's linked with a move to Quins, and Diamond has said he wants to make a couple of signings soon so it could be a case that they need to cut him as a marquee to get under the cap.

Or else he's realised his move back to England was a bit of a waste since he's not getting back into the national squad like he had hoped, and is looking to cash in.

It's a strange one, be interesting to see what happens.

Not just Chris Ashton apparently.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not just Chris Ashton apparently.

Bath paid for Redpath to be released with a 6 figure sum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I think everyone saw Skelton as being very top of the list when it came to likely departees. Not a hope he was hanging around.

Saracens have done a great job of turning him into a more rounded lock as opposed to the highlight reel player he was. I don't see a move to La Rochelle being conducive to him continuing down that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I think everyone saw Skelton as being very top of the list when it came to likely departees. Not a hope he was hanging around.

Saracens have done a great job of turning him into a more rounded lock as opposed to the highlight reel player he was. I don't see a move to La Rochelle being conducive to him continuing down that path.

I think Gibbes and O'Gara are trying to bring La Rochelle into a more NZ/ Irish/ English model slowly so players who have played in top processional clubs will be useful

Interesting. If the figures reported previously were accurate, then I would imagine that Saracens are now back in line with the salary cap. They were £906k over the cap last season. They've already had a handful of confirmed departures which means they're probably good to go now if the other players are happy to stay.

Liam Williams, Vincent Kock, Will Skelton, Richard Wigglesworth, Matt Gallagher and Titi Lamositele are all gone for next season. Will that be sufficient? Quite likely, I'd have thought.

Of course, the issue now is that they've lost their sponsor as well as a huge amount of television money so they'll probably see another few people leave but, as it stands, I think they're in line with the cap.

Interesting. If the figures reported previously were accurate, then I would imagine that Saracens are now back in line with the salary cap. They were £906k over the cap last season. They've already had a handful of confirmed departures which means they're probably good to go now if the other players are happy to stay.

Liam Williams, Vincent Kock, Will Skelton, Richard Wigglesworth, Matt Gallagher and Titi Lamositele are all gone for next season. Will that be sufficient? Quite likely, I'd have thought.

Of course, the issue now is that they've lost their sponsor as well as a huge amount of television money so they'll probably see another few people leave but, as it stands, I think they're in line with the cap.

Are any of these players leaving immediately bar Liam Williams? If not they are then under the cap?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Are any of these players leaving immediately bar Liam Williams? If not they are then under the cap?

I meant they will be under the cap for next season i.e. they don't need any other players to depart to be compliant as long as the remainder of their squad is happy to remain and they can afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume the designated marquee players remain outside the cap for eligibility to be promoted back to the Premiership?

I assume the designated marquee players remain outside the cap for eligibility to be promoted back to the Premiership?

Itoje and Farrell, yeah they'll be held to the same credits and allowance system as Premiership teams I believe.

Williams is the only player who has actually left though (other than Kpoku who signed with Saints but was on an academy contract anyways), I'm still hesitant to believe anything until deals are confirmed, because at this rate we must've seen the same 'almost done deal' stories about 15 of their players.

Itoje and Farrell, yeah they'll be held to the same credits and allowance system as Premiership teams I believe.

Williams is the only player who has actually left though (other than Kpoku who signed with Saints but was on an academy contract anyways), I'm still hesitant to believe anything until deals are confirmed, because at this rate we must've seen the same 'almost done deal' stories about 15 of their players.
    From what I understand, Williams didn't count anyway, since he was injured and hadn't played in any premiership matches this season.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    From what I understand, Williams didn't count anyway, since he was injured and hadn't played in any premiership matches this season.

For next season though. This season is a write off regardless, I think it had been clarified that the rule hadn't been updated with the correct wording so it's only next season that applies to them if they're back up for promotion

Advertisement