Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I accepted France as our bogey team in the 2000's. The only game I still get nightmares about is 2007 in Croke Park. That was the Grand Slam thrown away as Clerc went weaving though. That man seemed to get us everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Mako V now out too. Over Tonga for family reasons apparently. That's never a good thing.

Tuilagi named in the 33 man squad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I remember being so delighted when Italy came in to form the Six Nations because we might not be whipping boys any more.

Italy were better than us throughout most of the 90s.

I think the lowest point for Irish rugby must have been losing to Samoa on a Wednesday night at a half empty Lansdowne Rd around about 1997. We were a shambles!

Back then Triple Crowns were a fantasy

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I accepted France as our bogey team in the 2000's. The only game I still get nightmares about is 2007 in Croke Park. That was the Grand Slam thrown away as Clerc went weaving though. That man seemed to get us everytime

The French team in the 00s was pretty decent. They didn't have the flair of the 80s/90s, but under Laporte they were very organised and effective. Damien Traille was kind of the epitomy of that.

I think with Edwards involved now to bring a bit more structure, added to a lot of very exciting young talent who like to play football they may potentially have the makings of a very good side over the course of the next WC cycle, which coincidentally just happens to be in France.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

While we're reminiscing about France, here's a mad stat: Morgan Parra is only 31.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »
    While we're reminiscing about France, here's a mad stat: Morgan Parra is only 31.

and with current french management he is too old.....

Both are 9's in the match day 23 are 30 years of age :eek:

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Ah you do Cooney an injustice, he isn't 30 until May. A very important distinction!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

english 9s are 30 and 33

id prefer ours everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bilston wrote: »
    Italy were better than us throughout most of the 90s.

I think the lowest point for Irish rugby must have been losing to Samoa on a Wednesday night at a half empty Lansdowne Rd around about 1997. We were a shambles!

Back then Triple Crowns were a fantasy

I was at that game, we were so poor, it’s hard to imagine any Irish team being that bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The withdrawal of M Vunipola makes things interesting. I'd say Genge is almost his equal on ball carrying, but Vunipola and Marker have better all round games. You'd probably have to start Marker for his better scrummaging. But then you lose impact around the pitch. Puts a lot of pressure on the backrow now. Curry isn't a great carrier either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

aloooof wrote: »

And most of EO'S tenure was against Laporte and those world class back row forwards.
    Betsen, Magne, HardinOrakey followed by Dusautoir, Nyanga & Bonnaire.
    i think Ireland beat France once during that period.

Clegg wrote: »
    The withdrawal of M Vunipola makes things interesting. I'd say Genge is almost his equal on ball carrying, but Vunipola and Marker have better all round games. You'd probably have to start Marker for his better scrummaging. But then you lose impact around the pitch. Puts a lot of pressure on the backrow now. Curry isn't a great carrier either.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/02/18/when-are-the-guinness-six-nations-team-announcements-for-round-three/

England announcing team on Friday.
    If Tuilagi also doesn't make it and they go with Ford/Farrell/Joseph i would be confident of victory.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/02/18/when-are-the-guinness-six-nations-team-announcements-for-round-three/

England announcing team on Friday.
    If Tuilagi also doesn't make it and they go with Ford/Farrell/Joseph i would be confident of victory.

There is no doubt that without the Vunipolas and Tuilagi England become much more beatable.

Confident of victory is a strong term when you are going to Twickenham, but I'd be hopeful we can do something.

However we need to raise our game another level to what we saw against Wales. We really need the tight 5 to perform. Ryan and Henderson need to dominate.

Dont be trying to rise me on Henderson!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And most of EO'S tenure was against Laporte and those world class back row forwards.
    Betsen, Magne, HardinOrakey followed by Dusautoir, Nyanga & Bonnaire.
    i think Ireland beat France once during that period.
    That's the best spelling of Harinordoquy's name I've ever seen. :D

Some bunch of players in that period though: Pelous, Jauzion, Yachvili, Heymans, Rougerie, Clerc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 kickfacer

kilns wrote: »
    I think POM will start on Sunday with Doris on the bench but I hate stuff like what Wood comes up with on Off The Ball, forget POMs stats and if he is not playing great, he is important because he the emotional heartbeat of the team :rolleyes:

You can't compare POM and Doris. Apples and oranges.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    english 9s are 30 and 33

id prefer ours everytime

It was a discussion about french 9's.....they have a couple of decent ones....

England are really struggling, even the push for Spencer and he is 27/28 now, not over the hill but still 32 come next WC

kilns wrote: »
    I think POM will start on Sunday with Doris on the bench but I hate stuff like what Wood comes up with on Off The Ball, forget POMs stats and if he is not playing great, he is important because he the emotional heartbeat of the team :rolleyes:

I was listening to Wood all this 6 nations. most of the time he is talking about POM on the bench and having him to close out the game. Not to start...

Even one I listened to this morning he mentioned it again

prawnsambo wrote: »

Some bunch of players in that period though: Pelous, Jauzion, Yachvili, Heymans, Rougerie, Clerc...

ove those basque names with the Q's, U's, Z's and X's

It was a discussion about french 9's.....they have a couple of decent ones....

England are really struggling, even the push for Spencer and he is 27/28 now, not over the hill but still 32 come next WC
    To be fair, they always have a couple of decent ones. Dupont stands out because he's a genuine superstar, but over the years, there have been some greats like Yachvili and Parra. Machenaud would have been the most vanilla of the bunch and yet he's a very good scrum half.

• Advertisement

kickfacer wrote: »
    You can't compare POM and Doris. Apples and oranges.

Did you lose a bet? Impressive apples-oranges-post count ratio.
    You're comparing apples and oranges.
    Apples and oranges.
    Wetherspoons and Brewdog are apples and oranges.
    That is like comparing apples and oranges.
    Comparing apples and oranges,
    Same here. Convenience store lunches can be so bad. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What ever happened to chalk and cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Dave Kearney or Zebo.

Brings me back to the great 2013 debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You can’t really compare them, they’re apples and oranges.

I think they got a handful of caps before Brunel played them out of position and they were never seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Jauzion is right up there for my favorite player of all time. He just oozed class

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I take great offense to rugby players being referred to as orange. We are a United Ireland when it comes to Rugby and a players background of the green of Ireland or being close to the orange order has no place in this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Have a sudden urge for some Vitamin C

• Advertisement

Have a sudden urge for some Vitamin C

Don't mix it up with Vitamin A. They're like night and day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement