Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why would someone change there cloathing because of fashion?

• 27-07-2004 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Why dont ppl do what they want
    why would someone change there look or appearence because its kool to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

because advertisers tell them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

well i presume people would only change their clothes or buy new 'trendier' ones cos they actually like the clothes.. and not cos they feel pressured.. some people actually like some new fashion trends..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the new clothes I'd buy would normally follow some sort of trend, but typically they'd 'match' with my old clothes so that keeping up with fashion doesn't require a new wardrobe every season but just an evolving set of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Maybe because they LIKE the clothes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Mainly to get laid (consiously or otherwise), trendy people score better.
    So to score we dress trendy.

Other reasons include...

Security - if you all look the same then it's harder for one individual to be singled.

Authority/Power - uniforms carry the power of the group (dress in security uniform and you'd be surprised what people will do for you).

Because they are told (advertisment, friends etc)

Because they are bored with their old clothes and want new ones.
    They goto the shop and buy what the shop has (ie the latest fashion).

and probably lots of other reasons..

tribble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by tribble
    Mainly to get laid (consiously or otherwise), trendy people score better.
    So to score we dress trendy.

Other reasons include...

Security - if you all look the same then it's harder for one individual to be singled.

Authority/Power - uniforms carry the power of the group (dress in security uniform and you'd be surprised what people will do for you).

Because they are told (advertisment, friends etc)

Because they are bored with their old clothes and want new ones.
    They goto the shop and buy what the shop has (ie the latest fashion).

and probably lots of other reasons..

tribble

Makes sence i suppose except i have never once got bored of my clothes - weird

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yes... yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Originally posted by User45701
    Why dont ppl do what they want
    why would someone change there look or appearence because its kool to do so?

Well, because we can! We have the free will to go into a shop and pick out some nice clothes. I don't know anyone who has ever decided to change their style based solely on fashion magazines... and if anyone did that I'd suspect that they'd have more brains than sense.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but we all reach a stage where we realize that the Slipnot t-shirt and the Doc Martens aren't the best look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Everyone likes to look good is why, main reason i change clothes is because they wear our but when i do buy them what they look like is the deciding factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

I really don't know.. Im not a fashion person at all although i like to dress well. I LIVE in my jeans so they're kind of always in fashion really, arent they??

One trend i hated was the 3 quarter length pants with stilettos. How can that be called feminine?? Think the short skirts & stiletto's are dead cute (although i would NEVER wear them coz i dont have the legs for it!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Well, I think 'User' means why would your style be influenced by fashion . . . . If this is true I'm not of the opinion it happens this way. You'll always have Lil' Miss Fashion-Follower, just the way you'll always have poeple who insist on have latest runners/football shirt/etc. Normally I think people just choose new fashion they can adapt to their own individual style. Myself for example . . . . I'm not nuts on these big print skirts that are out. But I am a fan of full skirts so I love these 50's throwbacks with underlining. :cool: 'snice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

All I can say is thank god I grew out of the tracksuits phase (shudders).

I tend to stick mostly to t-shirts when it comes to fashion (I like the way t-shirts fit me, I find most shirts tend to fit me weird). Though many of the fashion trends in t-shirts I stay well clear of. Ones with numbers on them, ones with "cool" phrases like "Slapper" on them etc. Also too much of one style can be produced. The tshirts with the white sleeves tacked on were nice when one or two first came out, but now the bloody things are everywhere.

Advertisement