Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arise ye on-progenitors of fashion!

• 27-07-2004 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

I'm impressed that there are no entries here.

I once was in a supermarket and heard a guy arguing with his missus in portuguese- I can't remember where the conversation went - it was on the order of what do you know anyhow (you usless man (perhaps)) but it ended up with "that guy (ahead of us in the checkout queue) is Irish - the guy was a chicken-sexer - he identified that I bought most of my clothes locally which I did - and my shoes were of Brititsh manufacture which no-one in Britain would have bought - hence I was Irish. Being pale and hungover possibly narrowed it down for him. I have since verified that the British mentality is buy Italian - local is naff - hence what this guy knew already.

I said to him in Portuguese that I was amazed that he identified this - How the **** did he also know that I spoke Portuguese (which I don't - I think the guy was deliberatly speaking kindergarten portuguese for my benefit - proof that he was a genius to the missus or something) as in theory-confirmation-She thought he was a thick bastard-maybe I'll givem a chance. Hopefully the poor cow has copped on to his cheap tricks

Back to fashion...

I would not been seen dead wearing a Nike, Diesel - Tommy Hilfiger - any article of clothing that is an ad for itself - anyone feel the same way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

No idea what your story was about there but anywho...

I tend to avoid heavily branded clothing. I don't think you need to wear clothes with Tommy or Nike plastered all over them to look good.

I'll wear what's comfortable whether I get it in Penneys or somewhere a little more "up market" doesn't bother me once it fits well and is value for money.

As someone who does a lot of sports though it can be difficult to find nice gear that isn't heavily branded which can be annoying at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

WHY IS THERE A FASHION FORUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally, as bad as the likes of Nike logo-splattered clothing and such are, they're infinetly more desirable than the effluence that is those oh-so-hilarious FCUK slogans that are doing the rounds on T-Shirts and such.

I'm not a man who wears brand names...
    Well I do admit to owning Dolce & Gabbana underwear, because, well, they're just the secks.

Other than that, I'd probably never be found dead in the aforementioned articles of clothing that are, as you put it, ads for themselves. Yet ironically, I've no qualms about wearing T-shirts with various band names plastered on them. Perhaps that's a different thing altogether though? I mean, buying a T-shirt at a concert with the tour dates on it, at is ties into an experience, rather than being a walking advertisement for Nike. Or am I being pretentious about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You wear what u like. Brnad names don't come into it.

Having said that I own about 5 pairs of puma runners, because they have the coolest designs at the moment.

But I don't wear any shirts etc with their name across it. If the company wants free advertising, they can pay me, instead of the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Originally posted by elivsvonchiaing
    I would not been seen dead wearing a Nike, Diesel - Tommy Hilfiger - any article of clothing that is an ad for itself - anyone feel the same way?

I feel exactly the same way - not that I would necessarily avoid those brands, but the thoughts of being identified as wearing Nike at 25 paces doesn't interest me.

Same goes for Burberry - I avoid real/fake Burberry like the plague because there's so much of the knock-off stuff around, it just makes it all look so cheap! There are nail salons which do Burberry painted nail extensions - klasseeeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    ....I've no qualms about wearing T-shirts with various band names plastered on them. Perhaps that's a different thing altogether though? I mean, buying a T-shirt at a concert with the tour dates on it, at is ties into an experience, rather than being a walking advertisement for Nike. Or am I being pretentious about this?

Agreed, t-shirts are acceptable, but on any other item huge advertising is bad

Advertisement