Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

brianblaze wrote: »
    Random question... Powerlifting singlet sizes!

I'm 78KG, but very lean and 5'10"... Am I still an X-large? Don't want to end up with a baggy singlet! (which sounds like a terrible euphasmism now that I type it.)

It really depends on the singlet to be honest. I'm 102kg and can wear a medium Titan one (which I do in comp, whereas I tried on a medium of the new SBD Eclipse singlet and not a hope was it getting on, I'd need Xl in it.

I think Strength shop are similar to the standard SBD one in terms of design and material, and I wear large of those training, and could probably wear a medium if I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Random question... Powerlifting singlet sizes!

I'm 78KG, but very lean and 5'10"... Am I still an X-large? Don't want to end up with a baggy singlet! (which sounds like a terrible euphasmism now that I type it.)

I've had my strengthshop singlet from 80-84kg and I'm 6'0" so I wouldn't be all that much bigger. XL in that singlet won't be too baggy.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I think Strength shop are similar to the standard SBD one in terms of design and material, and I wear large of those training, and could probably wear a medium if I wanted.

Yeah you could wear a medium in strengthshop...especially if you wanted to compete as a woman thereafter. Medium would make bits of your bits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah you could wear a medium in strengthshop...especially if you wanted to compete as a woman thereafter. Medium would make bits of your bits

I’ve never worn a strength shop one so was only guessing from looks, must be a good bit tighter than the SBD/ Titan ones so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I mean... that's not entirely a terrible idea these days apparently...

JK

• Advertisement

Update: A large fits perfectly and I have done all appropriate 1980s pro wrestler mirror promos....

Now lemme tell ya something Mean Gene....

Update: A large fits perfectly and I have done all appropriate 1980s pro wrestler mirror promos....

Now lemme tell ya something Mean Gene....

What brand?

What brand?

Strength Shop UK. I've had one of their lever belts for years and swear by it, hopefully this will be the same!

Strength Shop UK. I've had some of their lever belts for years and swear by it, hopefully this will be the same!

Yeah i have mine a couple of years and its still as good as new. Only worn it for 6 comps and maybe last heavy sessions before the comps so should be in good nick all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Seeing a lot online about barbell hip thrusts and Booty Builder machines for glutes.
    Any success stories here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I always do hip trusts/glute bridge as part of strength work, I like them. Success story? Nice bum maybe, no injuries(not solely thanks to arse exercises)

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I always do hip trusts/glute bridge as part of strength work, I like them. Success story? Nice bum maybe, no injuries(not solely thanks to arse exercises)

Seeing a lot of amazing before and after pics from Bret Contreras's clients. I think I'll add them to my work outs.

Seeing a lot of amazing before and after pics from Bret Contreras's clients. I think I'll add them to my work outs.

Sorry I actually thought this was the random running questions thread which is why "success stories" baffled me a bit! Yes its great for your butt!

They're one of many exercises that work the glute muscles. I've not done weighted hip thrusts that often. Bret Contreras is The Glute Guy...He loves a hip thrust but I'd venture there's variation in the training.

That said they're good exercises. I do non-weighted hip thrusts with a band at my knees as a warm up.

My success story is being prison-proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Seeing a lot online about barbell hip thrusts and Booty Builder machines for glutes.
    Any success stories here?

It would depend on what you perceive as success.

Vanity or Functional

Bigger glutes. Then it should help as it's a glute strengthening excersis.

But its not going to help you run faster..

https://bretcontreras.com/science-is-self-correcting-the-case-of-the-hip-thrust-and-its-effects-on-speed/

Heavy Barbell Hip Thrusts Do Not Effect Sprint Performance:

An 8-Week Randomized-Controlled Study”

In the first study, 20 college male baseball players hip thrusted 3 times per week for 8 weeks in a progressive, periodized fashion and took their 3RM hip thrust strength from 295 lbs to 392 lbs (36% gain) and their 1RM parallel back squat strength from 185 lbs to 237 lbs (31% gain), with no improvements in vertical jump, broad jump, or 30m sprint speed.

In the second study, 21 university athletes (15 males and 6 females) hip thrusted 2 times per week for 8 weeks in a progressive manner using a 5 x 5 loading scheme and took their 1RM hip thrust strength from 356 lbs to 453 lbs (27% gain), with no improvements in 40m sprint speed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

They're one of many exercises that work the glute muscles. I've not done weighted hip thrusts that often. Bret Contreras is The Glute Guy...He loves a hip thrust but I'd venture there's variation in the training.

That said they're good exercises. I do non-weighted hip thrusts with a band at my knees as a warm up.

You should try weighted hip thrusts as an accessory. They are a great movement.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You should try weighted hip thrusts as an accessory. They are a great movement.

I agree. I have done them. I just have been doing more single leg RDLs, stiff leg DLs, RDL, snatch grip RDLs in recent months

Ceepo wrote: »
    It would depend on what you perceive as success.

Vanity or Functional

Bigger glutes. Then it should help as it's a glute strengthening excersis.

But its not going to help you run faster..

https://bretcontreras.com/science-is-self-correcting-the-case-of-the-hip-thrust-and-its-effects-on-speed/

Heavy Barbell Hip Thrusts Do Not Effect Sprint Performance:

An 8-Week Randomized-Controlled Study”

In the first study, 20 college male baseball players hip thrusted 3 times per week for 8 weeks in a progressive, periodized fashion and took their 3RM hip thrust strength from 295 lbs to 392 lbs (36% gain) and their 1RM parallel back squat strength from 185 lbs to 237 lbs (31% gain), with no improvements in vertical jump, broad jump, or 30m sprint speed.

In the second study, 21 university athletes (15 males and 6 females) hip thrusted 2 times per week for 8 weeks in a progressive manner using a 5 x 5 loading scheme and took their 1RM hip thrust strength from 356 lbs to 453 lbs (27% gain), with no improvements in 40m sprint speed.

Nothing to do with running.
    I am enquiring if anyone has seen their glutes grow basically.

Added them in to my work outs this week. I definitely felt the burn. I'll see how it goes. Also added glute bridges and high push downs.

Nothing to do with running.
    I am enquiring if anyone has seen their glutes grow basically.

Why do you want your glutes to grow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Why do you want your glutes to grow?
    To fit his jeans maybe?
    Stiff legs or romanians realy tax your glutes and deep reps on the leg press with narrow enough feet spacing, same with barbell squats narrow your stance and go ass to grass!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    To fit his jeans maybe?
    !

Vanity so !
    If the glutes were engaging with every step ( like they're suppose too) then muscle bulk shouldn't be a concern

Vanity so!

Like a significant number of people that go to the gym...to improve their physical appearance in a way they'd like to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Vanity so !
    If the glutes were engaging with every step ( like they're suppose too) then muscle bulk shouldn't be a concern

Strong glutes are very important for anyone who wants to remain active.

Also vanity. But so what if it is?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Strong glutes are very important for anyone who wants to remain active.

Also vanity. But so what if it is?

Only if they work when they're suppose too...
    As per the Bret Contreras link. The hip trust excersis increased strength but didnt help with vertical, horizontal jump or sprint speed.

If vanity is there thing then go for it.
    If its function then there are better excersis that can be done to help with that.

I wasnt judging, just asking...

As per the Bret Contreras link. The hip trust excersis increased strength but didnt help with vertical, horizontal jump or sprint speed.

If its function then there are better excersis that can be done to help with that.

In the study on the testing or jumps or sprints, how much jump or sprint training was done in conjunction with the hip thrust training?

No one would argue that increased strength would automatically make someone better at a skill.

As Brian said, it can absolutely be a good accessory movement.

As an aside, 'vanity' has a more negative connotation than is warranted.

In the study on the testing or jumps or sprints, how much jump or sprint training was done in conjunction with the hip thrust training?

No one would argue that increased strength would automatically make someone better at a skill.

As Brian said, it can absolutely be a good accessory movement.

As an aside, 'vanity' has a more negative connotation than is warranted.

Vanity, "negative connotations" really??

Would the term "astethics" be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

Does anyone know a free yoga classes? I need something harder than youtube. Something where I can make progress with.

A nice arse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the OP had said they were doing it to run faster, then the "But its not going to help you run faster" is a valid point. But I don't think they mentioned running.

I'm not surprised hip thrusts didn't increase vertical, horizontal jump or sprints. But I'm not sure why that's the test for whether something is functional though. If you look at the actual study, the hip thrust group had a 30% increase in squat strength compared to the control group who had no significant change. Strength is functional imo.

Advertisement