Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel burger. No, no, no!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,875 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

FanadMan wrote: »
    Some people are horribly intolerant to gluten, which I've never seen before.....always thought it was just a stomach ache or just a put-on.
    Was recently out with a friend for a snack. He had a ham sandwich. Had gluten free bread (he asked the waitress before hand if the sandwich was totally gluten free...queue the drama queen), no butter and just ham. About 30 minutes later he had to run to the loo. The orange crumb stuff on the ham contained gluten and was enough to set him off.

Heard so many stories about people demanding gluten free in a restaurant and all they were doing was following a fad. This was a total eye opener for me.

It's a pity you had to see it with your own eyes to stop presuming they were just arzeholes making a fuss for the sake of following a fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭airy fairy

tuxy wrote: »
    Sounds like he is celiac which is serious but you're right in most cases it is just a mild sensitivity and some people imagine it.

Just because someone reacts differently to gluten doesn't mean damage isn't being done to the body.
    Some people are very sensitive when given gluten, some people not at all. Regardless of how they react, people who have been diagnosed with coeliac disease with blood tests and/or scope, are advised by medics that they will do enormous damage to the gut if gluten is ingested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Had a rebel burger this evening.

Was really nice vs the usual beanburger thingy.

Fair few orders for them when I was there.

Will buy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

I prefer the bean burger. I hope they keep the bean burger on the menu.
    I noticed many people eating rebel burgers in the shop. Reason being, they are packaged in a distinctive green sheath,. I've met a girl from Galway on Tinder, and I think I will go to the sportsground to see connacht play.It doesn't look like there is much shelter at the sportsground. I'll wear corduroy pants, corduroy jacket, a flannel shirt, and a green scarf to support connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

Be. Very. Careful.

That new Rebel Whopper is NOT veggie or vegan friendly.
    The reason? The way it’s cooked. It’s cooked with, and on top of raw beef. So veggies and vegans really need to give this a miss. It’s directed at meat eaters who do not want to eat meat all the time. It’s NOT aimed at the veggie/vegan market. Marketing has no mention of it being vegan or veggie.

The Rebel patty literally sits on top of the raw beef as it’s loaded on to the ‘broiler’ to be flame grilled.
    Don’t say you didn’t know.

Veggies and vegans run from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Had it the other day. Genuinely isn't too bad, but I'll probably not get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Notdeco wrote: »
    So burger King have spread the v virus to Ireland.
    And I'm not happy...

If I want a burger, I want it to be real meat. If I want a salad I want it to be a salad.
    Ah the poor vegans want it all.
    Well ye can fook off and eat seeds and help the planet and leave the tasty food to us that enjoy flavour.

Had to be said.
    I can't be the only one to think this, maybe I am...

Meat in burger King? That's dubious to begin with.

Tasty food in Burger King? That's just completely wrong.

As a veggie I’m disgusted that I ate one of these before I found out how they are cooked. The veggie bean burger is microwaved cooked and therefore 100% veggie.

The Rebel Whopper is NOT a veggie burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cs5 wrote: »

They dont get enough protein to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

As a veggie I’m disgusted that I ate one of these before I found out how they are cooked. The veggie bean burger is microwaved cooked and therefore 100% veggie.

In a place with one grill how would you manage, my housemate who's a veggie says that she'd eat it since nothing died for it, the transfer would be incidental. I can see the reasoning but don't know if it's consistent. Each to their own mind but I don't know where I'd land in the same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I found this out when was about to order it one day and was asking if it was possible to get it in a non-seeded bun coz of my seasame allergy. I then asked if it was veggie or what the cross-contamination was like and was told by the manager who was vegan to avoid it.

I would imagine many veggies & vegans eating this don’t realise how bad the cross contamination is from raw beef to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I would imagine many veggies & vegans eating this don’t realise how bad the cross contamination is from raw beef to this.

What's your source for how it's handled and cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i thought i was being a good carnivore by making my veggie missus a mozzerella burger (lynda mcartney) i ended up wolfing down the 2nd one myself and it was amazing!

however although she enjoyed it she said it tasted like beef and wouldn't have it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Josephine Ambitious Seafarer

As a veggie I’m disgusted that I ate one of these before I found out how they are cooked. The veggie bean burger is microwaved cooked and therefore 100% veggie muck.

Fixed it for you.

It's a pity you had to see it with your own eyes to stop presuming they were just arzeholes making a fuss for the sake of following a fad.

before they knew what a celiac was they used to die young (infants even)

RWCNT wrote: »
    Made my own homemade burgers this evening with proper steak mince from the butchers - no breadcrumbs, egg or onions, just pressed the meat into burger shape, seasoned and griddled them up. Better than anything you'd come by in McDonald's, BK or any of that ****e by a country mile.

Why do these places add so much gunk to their patties? Mince is ****ing cheap like, and surely they could get it even cheaper if they buy it in the massive quantities they need.
    becuase your burger will last only a few days and there's will be eternally fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Be. Very. Careful.

That new Rebel Whopper is NOT veggie or vegan friendly.
    The reason? The way it’s cooked. It’s cooked with, and on top of raw beef. So veggies and vegans really need to give this a miss. It’s directed at meat eaters who do not want to eat meat all the time. It’s NOT aimed at the veggie/vegan market. Marketing has no mention of it being vegan or veggie.

The Rebel patty literally sits on top of the raw beef as it’s loaded on to the ‘broiler’ to be flame grilled.
    Don’t say you didn’t know.

The patty itself is vegan. That's good enough. Where do you draw the line? Your logic is terribly unreliable. For instance, it could be taken a step further by saying that buying from Burger King in any form is not vegan because they are directly profiting from the slaughter of animals.

i thought i was being a good carnivore by making my veggie missus a mozzerella burger (lynda mcartney) i ended up wolfing down the 2nd one myself and it was amazing!

however although she enjoyed it she said it tasted like beef and wouldn't have it again!

Linda does great veggie burgers, really juicy. The sausages she does are probably the best out there and are fully vegan but a bit dry. They are best used for mashing up into sausage meat and then doing something with them rather than just eating them as they are (not that there is anything wrong with them as normal sausages).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The patty itself is vegan. That's good enough. Where do you draw the line? Your logic is terribly unreliable. For instance, it could be taken a step further by saying that buying from Burger King in any form is not vegan because they are directly profiting from the slaughter of animals.

On a craft beer forum I follow, someone said their son wouldn't drink mead as it was made from honey. Sometimes I think veganism is a form of attention seeking.
    Good thing they weren't around 100,000 years ago or the human race would have died out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

In an effort to cut down my red meat intake I tried this and wasn't overly impressed. Consistency is all wrong. If it was nice I would have gone for it again whenever craving a burger.
    I've cooked a few home made veggie recipes at home and was pleasantly surprised with the results and will be trying to have a meat free day per week in the new year.

dan1895 wrote: »
    In an effort to cut down my red meat intake I tried this and wasn't overly impressed. Consistency is all wrong. If it was nice I would have gone for it again whenever craving a burger.
    I've cooked a few home made veggie recipes at home and was pleasantly surprised with the results and will be trying to have a meat free day per week in the new year.
    Try the Lynda McCartney mozzarella burger

Ipso wrote: »
    On a craft beer forum I follow, someone said their son wouldn't drink mead as it was made from honey. Sometimes I think veganism is a form of attention seeking.
    Good thing they weren't around 100,000 years ago or the human race would have died out.

To be fair, we ate far less meat thousands of years ago and subsided more on a plant-based diet.

But I agree that there are vegan Nazis out there that try to make everything black and white by creating rules for vegans. Unfortunately, you will find a lot of those vegan Nazi types of the type that needs to label everything and put everything and everyone into groups.

Personally, I am not a vegan for reasons being that I eat fish and honey. I don't label this, I just get on with it.

What's your source for how it's handled and cooked?

A friend who manages a BK. If you don’t believe me, go to any BK and ask if the cooking of the Rebel Whopper is veggie friendly. The patty literally sits on top of where raw beef is stored. That’s why NONE of the posters or advertising mentions it being a veggie option - because it’s not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Dangelo Greasy Tank

A friend who manages a BK. If you don’t believe me, go to any BK and ask if the cooking of the Rebel Whopper is veggie friendly. The patty literally sits on top of where raw beef is stored. That’s why NONE of the posters or advertising mentions it being a veggie option - because it’s not.

Ah that's a shame, glad I hadn't tried it. At least that presumably means the bean burger isn't going anywhere. It is still good to have as an option for meat eaters or for veggies who don't mind but I'd as soon eat a patty cooked in the same oil as meat as I'd eat one cooked in with a turd tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Why do you care what other people eat?
    Beef farming is one of the worst polluters in this country. Just think of all those cow farts floating into the atmosphere next time you go to burger King and eat a few cows mushed together on a bun :)

Cows rarely fart, they belch and don’t you think that with cows being around for thousands of years that your imaginary apocalypse would have happened already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Try the Lynda McCartney mozzarella burger

If it’s anything like her sausages it will be pure over processed sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Ipso wrote: »
    They dont get enough protein to run.

...and yet many athletes are veggie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jamsiek wrote: »
    ...and yet many athletes are veggie

It's a major success story for meat marketing that so many people think you can't get protein from plant food. It's not even an opinion, it just goes against reality and fact.

I'd consider those people no better than flat earthers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's a major success story for meat marketing that so many people think you can't get protein from plant food. It's not even an opinion, it just goes against reality and fact.

I never believed that, considering my mother was brought up in a house where only the father of the house got the meat and they lived on spud, veg and broth. But, and genuine question here as I tried Googling and maybe I'm not using the correct terms, but can a vegan lifestyle be followed and health, getting all nutrients and vitamins required, on products that are grown in Ireland only?

I don't know much about veg myself, quite the carnivore here, and my knowledge of vegan diets is non-existent as it's not something I can ever see myself considering, let alone following. But you hear from some people who are anti-vegan that you can't get it on locally (ie: Ireland) grown produce and some of it needs to be shipped in from other countries. I dunno!

Advertisement