Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 240 Holloway vs Edgar, Sat Jul 27th

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I usually think Joe Rogan is an uninformed idiot but he really went out of his way to sound stupid last night during the Cyborg fight.

Spencer was getting absolutely pieced up but he made it sound like Cris was going to die every time Spencer landed a jab. He really doesn't have a clue and his bias against certain fighters is so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats what happens when theres a dull card. A dull night of fights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I only bothered to watch the Cyborg fight, nice elbow from Spencer at the start and credit to her for hanging in there and throwing back for the rest of the fight cause Cyborg really landed some nice shots. I really want to see that Nunes rematch now

I was going to actually stay up for this PPV but at the last minute I decided against it (Thankfully)

Cyborg looked good int that fight and nice to see her get a win after the Nunes loss. Dana is being a total d1ck saying sh1t like "Cyborg is in the twilight of her career", claiming last night was a bad performance and also saying she doesn't want to fight Nunes when she clearly does. Dana has always had a thing against Cyborg, back since Rhonda was ducking her.

I was hoping Frankie would win last night but my god Holloway is the man :D I still think Conor would beat Holloway handily enough though, if Dustin can beat Max then so can McGregor. Next fight I want to see for Holloway is vs Zabit but Volkanovski is due a title shot so that will be first.

Looked like a fairly dull card overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One or two OK fights but fairly poor for a numbered event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Cyborg looked good int that fight and nice to see her get a win after the Nunes loss. Dana is being a total d1ck saying sh1t like "Cyborg is in the twilight of her career", claiming last night was a bad performance and also saying she doesn't want to fight Nunes when she clearly does. Dana has always had a thing against Cyborg, back since Rhonda was ducking her.

I was hoping Frankie would win last night but my god Holloway is the man :D I still think Conor would beat Holloway handily enough though, if Dustin can beat Max then so can McGregor. Next fight I want to see for Holloway is vs Zabit but Volkanovski is due a title shot so that will be first.

pity it'll never happen but I doubt he'd beat max at this stage of max's
    career especially over five at fw....lw would be more interesting but there's bigger money fights out there for conor

volkanovski surely deserves the next shot but with the likes of him and zabit at least it means max will have some interesting challenges ahead but
    would personally like to see volkan fight max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

mailburner wrote: »
    pity it'll never happen but I doubt he'd beat max at this stage of max's
    career especially over five at fw....lw would be more interesting but there's bigger money fights out there for conor

volkanovski surely deserves the next shot but with the likes of him and zabit at least it means max will have some interesting challenges ahead but
    would personally like to see volkan fight max

Conor would light up max at fw

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conor would light up max at fw
    I don't think so. He is older, Max is only hitting his prime. Max learns from every fight. He can keep it at distance and score heavily, Conor's chin isn't that great either.
    I don't think Conor beats Max at featherweight or Tony at lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think so. He is older, Max is only hitting his prime. Max learns from every fight. He can keep it at distance and score heavily, Conor's chin isn't that great either.
    I don't think Conor beats Max at featherweight or Tony at lightweight.

Yeah. Getting older and been inactive
    Just think he always had a lot of power at 145. Wonder whats next for max though. Think he is best to stick at 45 but not sure many there xan challenge him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Conor's chin ain't that great? Which knockout made you think that?

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote:
    Conor's chin ain't that great? Which knockout made you think that?
    He was wobbled by Diaz, Mayweather tko'd him.

Wobbled and took some very heavy shots. Mayweather is maybe the best boxer ever. Khabib caught him with a beauty and he took it well.

His chin is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A stoppage vrs a 50-0 pro boxer means he has a bad chin?

Mellor wrote: »

Got hit a lot aswell and didn't go down. Was moaning at the ref immediately after too.

Mellor wrote:
    I'm just replying to a guy who suggested he had a jaw of granite.
    And Floyd is one of the greatest ever boxers but he is not known for his power. In fact he had one stoppage in the previous ten years before Conor.
    I'm not saying Conor is made of glass, far from it, just saying he has been hurt by punches before.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm just replying to a guy who suggested he had a jaw of granite.
    And Floyd is one of the greatest ever boxers but he is not known for his power. In fact he had one stoppage in the previous ten years before Conor.
    I'm not saying Conor is made of glass, far from it, just saying he has been hurt by punches before.
    Did you bring up the chin first?
    Floyd isn’t know for his power. It was a TKO not a KO. It was stopped because he was landing volume. Not because Conor was out on his feet.

Having a good chin doesn’t mean you are invulnerable to punches. Based on all of Conor’s fights. I think the evidence points to Conor a good chin more than anything else.

There are more obvious attributes to criticise imo. Especially when talking about a rematch with Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Being "wobbled" once in a pro career doesn't indicate a dodgy chin.

Also, your Mayweather example shows the opposite. The ref had to stop the fight because Mayweather couldn't put McGregor away.

Advertisement