Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ufh first floor insulate or not?

• 18-07-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi

Just a quick one our plumber is giving us two options 50mm insulation under pipes or no insulation?

We have a precast solid slab floor?

It would cost approx 500 extra not to insulate in labour and approx 1150 for the insulation which we would put down.

Found floor has a suspended ceiling.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You're better off insulating imo. Otherwise heat is just going to absorbed by the floor and you'll be heating the air voids in the hollowcore slab. It won't cause a problem, but just won't be as efficient. A small bit of insulation under the screed keeps all the heat in the room itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If you have a heat pump and underfloor heating your house will spend all its time at a constant temperature anyway. So the only time the slab and cores will take much heat from the room is the first time you turn the heat on.

After that they'll be the same temperature (give or take) as the rest of the house anyway. So all you're doing with the insulation is ensuring that your ground floor heating keeps them at this constant temperature rather than the upper floor heating.

Total waste of money in my opinion and has only grown in popularity because it makes plumbers lives easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Let's look at the science here for a moment in the context of heat loss.
    I am assuming there is a suspended ceiling under the HC which is airtight to the room below.
    So what temperature is that air space going to be once the house heats up and what temperature the underside of the slab will be.
    The higher the difference, the greater the heat loss into the ceiling space until it reaches equilibrium.
    The other place for heat loss in into the inner leaf of the external walls supporting and sitting on the HC, so assuming no IWI on these walls there is little or no heat loss.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

Check with your UFH manufacturer for their recommendations. Plumber told us it wasn't needed and there was no mention of it in the BER but the UFH & Heat Pump manufactured said it require 25mm minimum under the piping.

Makes perfect sense to me to put it in, you want the UFH heating the room above it not the big concrete slab below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The big concrete slab is always heated regardless of whether you put in insulation or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The big concrete slab is always heated regardless of whether you put in insulation or not.

Exactly
    Look up the concept of Decrement Delay, thats 2 D's:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, our engineer says he’d be happier if we put in a bit, can’t fit 50mm can do 25mm Or 35mm if available

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

This pre-cut low profile insulation system seems handy for laying UFH pipes. Anybody used or able to recommend?

https://www.warmup.co.uk/underfloor-heating/water/total-16

Advertisement