Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Weeks

• 28-03-2007 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

From my quitcounter program. >>

Steve - Free and Healing for Twenty Two Days, 8 Hours and 44 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 22 Hours, by avoiding smoking 559 cigarettes that would have cost me €204.26.

Feels good. Been easy enough for me thank god. I had one or two cravings this week though but i laughed them off. It was strange as I had not had a craving since 4 days after i had stopped. But i must admit It was rag week here (im back at uni) I went on the piss two weeks ago and smoked a honeyrose cigarette (no nictotene). Drinking lets you defenses down so be careful. I doubt i would have smoked a real cigarette if there was no alternative but i even feel like i cheated by smoking a herbal one. So be careful.

Here are my tips for quitting.

(1) Go Cold Turkey
    (2) Make a big list of reasons why you want to stop and keep them nearby (in wallet for example)
    (3) Dont drink any alcohol for the first few weeks.
    (4) Cut down on tea & coffee
    (5) Go for a walks\get excercise
    (6) Realize that this is as much psychological battle between yourself and nicotene as a physical one.
    (7) Enjoy every second of your new found freedom!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Well done, you're doing great!

I tried that Honeyrose stuff once (before I quit though) and thought it was manky tasting. Should be given to people to put them off smoking! :D

Would agree with all your tips there except I did 3 and 4 differently. I made myself go out and drink straight away (tough life I know, forcing myself to go to the pub :)) so that I'd get used to drinking without smoking and break the association as quickly as possible. Was really tough the first few times but was relieved to get that bit over with and be able to enjoy having a drink again. The only other proper attempt I ever made to quit, I avoided drinking for the first couple of weeks, then lapsed as soon as I had a pint. I guess it's a personal thing though. Also strangely found myself drinking more coffee after I quit (I wasn't a big coffee drinker before) but figure I was just replacing nicotine with caffeine addiction! Have managed to get that under control now though.

Going for walks in the park whilst breathing in deep lungfuls of fresh air really gave me a boost when I was having a tough day and I still enjoy doing that (over a year on) because I don't get that 'tight' feeling any more and it feels great.

And you're dead right about enjoying the freedom - so nice never having to worry about running out and being miles from the nearest shop!

Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 needtokick

Bringing myself down from 20 a day in a 3 day plan. Day 2 with the battle. Im down to 2 cigs today, usually 12-15 by now. Only 5 yesterday v 20 usual.

I really finding it tough to cope with the surges of craving and feel really crap. This is my second attempt to give up. Firstly time I lasted for 1 1/2 years before the job messed me up.

This time is worse because I got hypnosis last time which relieved my cravings practically from Day 1.

Anyone giving up tomorrow to help with motivation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

needtokick wrote:
    Bringing myself down from 20 a day in a 3 day plan. Day 2 with the battle. Im down to 2 cigs today, usually 12-15 by now. Only 5 yesterday v 20 usual.

I really finding it tough to cope with the surges of craving and feel really crap. This is my second attempt to give up. Firstly time I lasted for 1 1/2 years before the job messed me up.

This time is worse because I got hypnosis last time which relieved my cravings practically from Day 1.

Anyone giving up tomorrow to help with motivation?

if i were you needtokick i would see those 'cravings' as a good thing. I laugh them off. It may sound strange but this is the attitude you have to have. If the cravings are getting to you are not enjoying being an non-smoker. This is key i reckon.

I know how you feel though. For i have failed miserably for years... ie lasting 2 days or a couple of hours etc. What kicked me into action was a manky chest infection 3 weeks ago. I could not breathe. Sometimes it takes something like this kick people into action.

Maybe you should try and smoke 40 in one day? lol and then the next day you will feel so sick you will never want to smoke ever again!

Kolodny wrote:
    I made myself go out and drink straight away (tough life I know, forcing myself to go to the pub :)) so that I'd get used to drinking without smoking and break the association as quickly as possible.

How many times did you go out before you broke this link. I havent been able to drink for the last two weeks anway because i have been on a course of antibiotics for something unrelated. And i have a final year project in soon. :(

I dont even think i like drinking anymore to be honest though!

I'm sure ill get trolleyed once the fyp is in though. :rolleyes: So i had better watch myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

massplanck wrote:
    How many times did you go out before you broke this link.

It's hard to put an exact time on it but I suppose it was after about 5 or 6 weeks when I realised I wasn't thinking about smoking that much when I was drinking. I would have gone to the pub or a social occasion every weekend during that time, sometimes Friday and Saturday, and I would have had the odd glass of wine or can at home during the week too. Funnily enough, the first time I went to the pub since quitting was only 2 days in and it's fair to say I got very tipsy! I was climbing the walls by the end of the night and it was torture having a mental battle with myself for 4 hours of drinking but when I woke up the next morning and experienced the first smoke-free hangover I can ever remember having, it kind of spurred me on. I realised I would have felt twice as rough if I'd gone though pack of 20 as well as all the red wine I consumed and that made me feel a lot better for some reason, despite my sore head!

It eventually just became normal to enjoy 'just having a drink'. Rather than sitting in the pub gagging to join my smoking mates outside, I'd finish of my second or third drink and think to myself "hey, that's good - I haven't thought about smoking until now" :) I still get the occasional twinge when I've had a few, but they're a rare occurence and they pass in a split second - it's never enough to make me want to cave in.

It's bloody hard but it's worth it when you get to the comfortable stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I gave up 2 and half months ago after smoking 15-20 for ten years. It was struggle at first and I knew it was gonna be tough...at one stage I was asking myself whether the craving would ever go away.

After about a month they eased, now I see people smoke I feel sorry for them for being a slave to Nicotine

I found the Alan Carr book really helpful, I also compiled a list of Positives and Negatives about smoking cigarettes

Positives Associated

None - Apart from going well with a pint!

Negatives Associated

Lung cancer
    Mouth Cancer
    Heart problems
    Yellow Teeth
    Bad breath
    Addiction
    Stink of smoke
    Burn holes in clothing
    Hocking up ****e for 30 mins in the morning
    Early Death