Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 weeks off...mixed feelings.....

• 18-01-2007 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Haven't now smoked in 22 days....wasn't a heavy smoker but regardless 22 days nicotine free. Starting to exercise now and building up fitness. However as mentioned in an earlier thread my previous love of pubs has now ceased. Have went for dinner several times but just one visit to the pub where I had just 3 pints...and didn't want any more. I used to love my pint and cigarettes so much...don't honestly have that much interest in pubs without them...worried that I will become withdrawn and boring as so much of Irish life revolves around pubs! will persevere for now....long term I know cigarettes have no future...I worried when I smoked....and would do so again...but I am definitely less outgoing now! ....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Don't worry. Give it a month or two and you'll be well able to head into a pub. The first night will probably be tough as your brain will remember that you associate drinking with smoking and will probably trigger cravings but it will go away after a few more visits to the pub when your brain realises that you don't smoke when you drink anymore!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

If it's any help, I found about 3 weeks in was the toughest time for me. I'd been to the pub a few times and had drinks at home and was doing fine but around the 3/4 week mark the novelty of not smoking started to wear off a bit. I thought I'd never feel the same about going out and having a drink and that all the fun had gone out of my social life. I had a little phase of avoiding meeting up with certain friends who smoked, I didn't want to go to social events in a house where people would be smoking and I wouldn't even sit with my housemates watching tv in the evening because they all smoked - I literally hid in my bedroom for a week.

It did pass quickly though and I was soon back doing everything I did before. And I don't really have that same 'novelty' feeling I had in the beginning any more but that's only because it's become completely normal for me now. Don't worry - this feeling will pass. You're doing really well so keep going! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mixed feelings is the best way to describe it. I'm down to 3-4 smokes in the evening, none from morning til half 6 or so. Cant seem to stop completely, even when I dont enjoy a fag I cant help it! Lasted only 3 days off them.

Nights out are a killer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Filan wrote:
    ...and didn't want any more. I used to love my pint and cigarettes so much...don't honestly have that much interest in pubs without them...worried that I will become withdrawn and boring as so much of Irish life revolves around pubs!

Its well known that when you come of any addiction you have a phase of depression where you feel you are missing your best friend. In a way you are. I gave up previously and as well as mouth ulcers, constipation, and a bad cold I was seriously depressed. It all passed after about 6 weeks and even tho I was like a shaky puppy for a while I got strong again. I subsequently lapsed by only smoking when I was out. Which turned into all the time again. Howvere like yourself I am now off them again. I got my first cravings in three weeks about 4 o'clock yesterday. Made me even more determined. Anyway my point is you are probably mildly depressed. Recognise it for what it is - a cigarette hangover and accept it is part of the withdrawal process. Good luck man.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Think of the positives and it'll pass. Off them myself since new years and although i've had one a couple of times i've been out on the lash (*ducks and prepares to get stoned), I find the cravings are slowly but surely decreasing. My main problem was situations which I'd associate with smoking, like driving so I avoid them as much as possible. You say you weren't a heavy smoker so you''ll be grand. Human will power is stronger than most people think. Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Trilla wrote:
    mixed feelings is the best way to describe it. I'm down to 3-4 smokes in the evening, none from morning til half 6 or so. Cant seem to stop completely, even when I dont enjoy a fag I cant help it! Lasted only 3 days off them.

Nights out are a killer!!

ah c'mon you're smoking in the evenings but not on a night out ??:confused:

Im off them 3 weeks today, have used 4 pieces of nicorette in that time none since Friday week ago, doing alright but im sooo hungry all the time, have got a bit more exercise in and feel so much better now!

Its tough reading a post from someoen who has cut down and is complaining when there are others that are off them ?! :mad: I realise cutting down is tough but you still get a few in the eveings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

now 29 days off...smokers starting to look pretty.....still haven't dared go for a night out...hope to manage 3 or so drinks again Sunday. It's easy to think in Limerick that every woman smokes...I suppose as they are forced to do it outdoors, on the streets, where it's very visible. Anyway still hanging in!

Now 34 days off....still just one visit to the pub....loads to restaraunts ....and cafe's ...at times feel like a non-smoker...at times feel I could go back....but hey again 1 day at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ah c'mon you're smoking in the evenings but not on a night out ??:confused:

Im off them 3 weeks today, have used 4 pieces of nicorette in that time none since Friday week ago, doing alright but im sooo hungry all the time, have got a bit more exercise in and feel so much better now!

Its tough reading a post from someoen who has cut down and is complaining when there are others that are off them ?! :mad: I realise cutting down is tough but you still get a few in the eveings
    each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

For the first couple of weeks after stopping smoking I found it very difficult to go to pubs, I'd start getting jittery and then grumpy after a few pints, I had never gone to a pub and not smoked so it was difficult to break the routine. I went home early quite a few times but after a month or two it was back to normal. My friend who stopped at the same time as me went out and got hammered the first week we had stopped and started smoking again.

So my advice is to steer clear of heavy drinking (which has a tendency to make people make bad decisions) for a few weeks.

It's just about two years to the day since I went to an Allen Carr course (which I'd highly recommend) in the Red Cow Inn and stopped smoking. Contrary to his claims of no withdrawal symptoms I did find the first week a bit difficult (but I suppose this varies person to person) but nothing too bad. But other than those few days and few grumpy times at the pub stopping smoking really is not that difficult (everyone builds it up in their head to be something that is impossibly hard to do- I know I did) and was a great decision. Without sounding like a smug ex-smoker I would never want to smoke again and never feel any urge to.

But like I said, take it easy with the booze for the first while.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Starting to long for a few bottles of my favourite beer 'Erdinger'...and think I'd enjoy 2 or 3 without a cigarette....it was always thereafter that my willpower wavered...so thanks to previous messenger for advice on avoiding heavy drinking..! Now 35 days off....and noticed that I've lost 6lb...down from 15 stone to 14 ,6... very tall so not obviously fat...but a great boost!....

A few times the past few days also felt the urge to live longer...things I want to do!....I have no illusions that the war will never be over....but cautiously optimistic that I have the upper hand

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

julep wrote:
    each to their own.

Whatever - the forum is about GIVING UP SMOKING not cutting down and then complaning about it !!

(4 weeks off them on Tuesday by the way........):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

(4 weeks off them on Tuesday by the way........):cool:

Well done!!!!!!
    I'm off them 2 years in June. Best thing to do is to promise yourself never to even think about having one again. Myself and another ex-smoker were talking about it & both agreed that having just the one could mean getting back hooked on 20 a day.
    freak that!!!!! Not smoking rawks!!! :p:D

A lonely valentines night...with my wine..in a pub with other souls past their sell by date ...funeral atmosphere!..my resistance slipped...after 49 days and a fitness regime...will be once off ...sorry..will try not to smoke again..but if it was easy we wouldn't be here would we?!..need excuses!..A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Hey, it's only a slip. You're right to treat is as a one off. No reason not to carry on as you were and no need to reset your counter to zero days either. Sounds like the wine and the atmosphere got to you, that's all. Incidently, I found cravings were slightly stronger when I was drinking wine that they were when I dranks pints or shorts - not sure why that it because really the association should be as strong for all alcoholic drinks, but maybe there's some scientific explanation? :)

Thanks...a one off...the guilt...shame....need some none smoking friends...!...will start to feel better in a few days...aaah!...drinking alone on Valentines..didn't require Einstein to figure that one!...did you have a nice evening Kolodny?

I suppose there was a sombre atmosphere and the idea of living 40 years longer didn't seem so appealing!...the moment seemed more important!....

Advertisement