Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WFH and the odd customer: log cabins.

Options
  • 05-07-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

- firstly would you go for wood or steel/ metal? Or block built. (Small office under 40m2)
    - second, if clients visit does it then move to a requirements for needing planning, insurance etc. Note that I have PLI already, and am registered as a sole trader.
    - any other considerations?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

- firstly would you go for wood or steel/ metal? Or block built. (Small office under 40m2)
    - second, if clients visit does it then move to a requirements for needing planning, insurance etc. Note that I have PLI already, and am registered as a sole trader.

Block built.
    40 Sq. M requires planning.
    Client visits changes the situation and may require planning.
    How will a disabled client get to the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If it was just work and no clients it would be easier. Disabled access should be ok, but it's the planning will be the decider I think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You can put up a 25 sq m log cabin in several days for about 8k, that includes cabin , foundations, construction... and floor and roof insulation....

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You can put up a 25 sq m log cabin in several days for about 8k, that includes cabin , foundations, construction... and floor and roof insulation....

Yes but that’s for use as a shed.
    The OP is talking about running a commercial business with client visitations so commercial regulations are now at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes but that’s for use as a shed.
    The OP is talking about running a commercial business with client visitations so commercial regulations are now at play.

Ok and what's the difference spec wise ?

• Advertisement

Fire safety
    Emergency lighting
    Escape provision
    Access for those with disabilities
    Commercial Part L rather than domestic Part L

Non exhaustive list

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

building regulation compliance versus non building regulation compliance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If I got a block built extension to the house its 40m2 and if separate, it's 25m2? Now talking about just an office. If attached to house can have it's own door or must it be accessible through the house?

Advertisement