Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wing mirror cover replacement - Toyota Avensis T270

• 23-01-2021 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Anyone know what the general rule is with getting a replacement wing mirror cover/ cap replacement from a Breakers yard? Something in the back of my mind is for some reason telling me as a general rule Breakers will only sell the whole mirror but I could well be wrong too and it may vary from one to the next.

Had a clash of mirrors this evening. I think mine is intact apart from cover/ cap smashing and glass coming loose (not cracked/ broken). It is still seems to be adjusting and electrically retracting. I think his came off worse. In fairness other driver should have probably waited behind a parked car on his side but we stopped and agreed 50/50.

I can't seem to see the mirror cap covers for the Avensis T270 online. If they can generally got from breaker on their own has anyone any idea of the ballpark price one may expect to pay.

As always any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Should help the disassembly, looks like a possible chance the casing could be ordered from a main dealer too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks Atlantic Dawn. I had a fair idea the cap could be replaced alright. Any idea what I might expect to pay for for the cap from a dealer?...ballpark. Presumably they are primed ready to paint I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Thanks Atlantic Dawn. I had a fair idea the cap could be replaced alright. Any idea what I might expect to pay for for the cap from a dealer?...ballpark. Presumably they are primed ready to paint I'm guessing?

I lost an argument with my gate pillar with my then MK3 Prius, and destroyed my door mirror cover a couple of years ago.
    Got a cover from my local Toyota dealer, finished in gloss black same as the car, for about €45 if I remember correctly.

Thanks Chippy01. If I got out of it for that kind of money with one painted and all and ready to pop on and all I'd be happy enough. Probably won't be too soon though given whats going on as the nearest main dealer is a bit of a trek away.

This is a good website to give you the part number and additionally a rough price...
    https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

If you can get away with just the cover that's great, looks easy enough once you source the part. The whole unit new could be crazy money, circa €600 plus another €200 to fit. The new styling where manufacturers have decided it's better to stick the mirror on the side of the door rather than the corner meeting the window means the whole interior of the door needs to be disassembled to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Micksgarage were doing the complete mirror, folding version quite cheap. Think around €110

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Check with main dealer before you do anything. Some of the Toyota mirror covers come painted ready to fit and aren't expensive.

Thanks guys.
    colm_mcm I see that Micks garage are doing the retracting mirror for around €110 alright. Mind you though it says 2015 model upwards when I check on the basis of the 2009 model upwards Avensis. To look at it the only difference is the shape of the side repeater within it but could be wrong. They are primed ready for paint Will bear it in mind.

sumo12, I'll check in with the main stealers. As you say hopefully it shouldn't be overly expensive and would be handy to get one painted and all ready tom whack on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I was quoted around 230 fitted in a main dealer for a 2012 avensis for whole mirror.

Thanks ofcork. Will be well capable of fitting myself. I will check in with main stealers on price of mirror cap only. If I can get that of them painted and ready to pop on brilliant. If not I'll get the complete unit of micksgarage as suggested by colm_mcm unless there is a nominal amount in the price difference of main unit from main stealer (unlikely though). Thanks for letting me know though;)

• Advertisement

Just to give an update to all...

I was onto my local Toyota Dealer earlier this morning. They quoted me €43 plus VAT for just the mirror cover, primed and ready for painting. For reference they are €291 plus VAT for the complete mirror. They do not have in stock. Am going to try a few of the nearest breakers when I get a chance this afternoon.

Hi Chaps,

To give a further update I picked up a complete mirror from a Breakers in Wexford after going on the phone to a fair few of them - €60 all in posted up to Limerick.

It is a shade off my own - in the picture I have included a photo of the existing broken cover and new mirror beside each other for comparison. I think I'll nearly get away with it but will know better when its on the car. All seems a bit odd as I wouldn't have thought there would be too different colour's so close to each other but different on the one model?

A more pressing problem going on besides with the car cropped up today but when I get a chance I will go through the odious task of taking off the door card and whacking on the new mirror.

One lesson learned is that partfinder is pretty much useless as it would seem inventory is not kept any way up to date on it.

It could be new one had a respray at some stage or could just be different exposure to elements over time that shaded it differently. Could be worth trying a clay bar on it to clean contaminants out of the paint. It will be hard to notice the difference when it's on the car either way.

Advertisement