Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The problem with Ben Shapiro

Options

Comments

Sure he is. :D I don’t think any man would make themselves look bad in bed for the sake of a joke. Maybe a comedian would but that ain’t Ben.

He's actually hilarious at times if you watch him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Stuff like this is just stupid. I actually saw the episode where he discussed the Cardi B song. My friend sent me a link and in fairness it was quite funny.

He did not say that his wife never got wet. He said that if you're gushing enough fluid from your loins "to require a mop and bucket", then you have a medical issue.

One thing that gets on my tits is deliberate misquoting of people who do a good enough job of saying daft things already.

Trump being the prime example. The man was a walking dose of verbal diarrhoea, but when the press twisted his words to make them sound even worse, it just fed into the "fake news" defence.

Ah yeah, but it’s just funny.

Look, I don’t want to think about Ben Shapiro’s sex life very much. But I’m sure he and his wife have had plenty of the fun times. It’s just childish nonsense and 2020 needed childish nonsense. Lots of it.

He's actually hilarious at times if you watch him..

I have watched him. He’s sometimes funny but it’s often unintentional. His deadpan demeanour can work for him like when Zoey Tur threatened him and he deadpanned “That seems mildly inappropriate for a political discussion.” That was funny stuff. But no man alive who isn’t a comedian is going to make themselves look bad in bed for the sake of a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

gozunda wrote: »
    Not implied. This is what what you did say.
    The words of mine that you highlighted only proves that I made reference to the fact that you said that people should listen to all points of view. I did not say that you were wrong to say this. Perhaps you were too quick to assume that I was saying something else and therefore mightn't have read it properly. It happens to us all sometimes. That's why I didn't bother getting your exact quote... because I thought I remembered what you said accurately enough to not need to get the exact wording.

You should be able to admit when you make a mistake.
    Odd - you now think there is some 'secret? That btw was in reply to your tone.
    You're clearly shying away from giving your opinion on whether you think he polarises matters or not... hence why I "jokingly" referred to it as a secret. I have no problem saying that I think he is a prime example of someone who largely makes everything seem as a black or white issue. Off the top of my head, I've heard him say things like "black Americans earning less money than whites has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with culture" or "the gun problem is nothing to do with guns and everything to do with people". If you are not comfortable sharing your opinion on same, then that's fine.
    My previous comment suggested that you read what was stated again - as you clearly went off on a tangent remote from what was said (and not as you misquoted me firstly saying - "the issue isn't with whether he polarises everything" or even "the issue is not whether he polarises stuff" above. You evidently have not done that. The point stands.
    I did not have any malicious intent in mis-quoting you. Although I did, twice!
    So let me simplify that. Whether he does or does not "polarise everything" (and I don't see any strong evidence he does tbh) is largely irrelevant to whether you believe he is of bad character.
    If you think there isn't proof that Ben Shapiro polarises matters, would you be willing to name someone who you consider to polarise matters? It's hard to prove such things.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    He's made his position fairly clear, he dislikes Trump, but prefers his policies.
    That's a perfectly rational position to have.
    He's doesn't make any secret of the fact he thinks Trump is an idiot, he's never hidden that.
    Well how can an idiot have good polices? I'm not saying it's never happened (a broken clock is right twice a day), but the problem is that at some point in time that idiot is going to get the chance to make new polices!!!

Shapiro said in May (Andrew Neil interview) of last year that Trump has "whatever damage Trump is going to do has already been done", and yet since then over 400,000 American's have died due to carona virus, and the Capitol has been stormed with Trump supporters murdering two guards. So no, he as not done all the damage that he can do! So if by some strange coincidence, an idiot has managed to come up with some good polices, then it's only a matter of time before idiotic behavior is actually applied in a harmful way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The words of mine that you highlighted only proves that I made reference to the fact that you said that people should listen to all points of view. I did not say that you were wrong to say this. Perhaps you were too quick to assume that I was saying something else and therefore mightn't have read it properly. It happens to us all sometimes. That's why I didn't bother getting your exact quote... because I thought I remembered what you said accurately enough to not need to get the exact wording.You should be able to admit when you make a mistake. You're clearly shying away from giving your opinion on whether you think he polarises matters or not... hence why I "jokingly" referred to it as a secret. I have no problem saying that I think he is a prime example of someone who largely makes everything seem as a black or white issue. Off the top of my head, I've heard him say things like "black Americans earning less money than whites has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with culture" or "the gun problem is nothing to do with guns and everything to do with people". If you are not comfortable sharing your opinion on same, then that's fine.I did not have any malicious intent in mis-quoting you. Although I did, twice! If you think there isn't proof that Ben Shapiro polarises matters, would you be willing to name someone who you consider to polarise matters? It's hard to prove such things.

Lol no there was no 'mistake'. I think you're ending up in knots there. I'll leave you at it.

Lol no there was no 'mistake'.
    You were just lying so! To proud to admit you were wrong.

You were just lying so! To proud to admit you were wrong.

Let me clarify that for you. There being no "mistake means you are indeed 'wrong' in your presumption. And I see everything you disagree with is "lying". Getya. Bye.

Let me clarify that for you. There being no "mistake means you are indeed 'wrong' in your presumption. And I see everything you disagree with is "lying". Getya. Bye.
    Correct - you are a liar who tried to put words in my mouth. The point stands.

Stuff like this is just stupid. I actually saw the episode where he discussed the Cardi B song. My friend sent me a link and in fairness it was quite funny.

He did not say that his wife never got wet. He said that if you're gushing enough fluid from your loins "to require a mop and bucket", then you have a medical issue.

One thing that gets on my tits is deliberate misquoting of people who do a good enough job of saying daft things already.

Trump being the prime example. The man was a walking dose of verbal diarrhoea, but when the press twisted his words to make them sound even worse, it just fed into the "fake news" defence.

I think this type of stuff is fairly typical in US twitter commentary especially where it is often portrayed as a gotcha moment.

And as you say fake news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Trump has "whatever damage Trump is going to do has already been done", and yet since then over 400,000 American's have died due to carona virus

How the buck was all 400k Trump's fault? That number wound have been the same or very close had Biden been in charge earlier.

I've yet to hear any sensible explanation of what Biden would/could have done much differently.

Not to mention the fact that the bulk of the impact of the virus was managed at State level. As much as Trump liked to claim credit when things went well, and deny all when it didn't, his only role was making ventilators and PPE available.

All other decisions (lockdowns etc) were made at State level and Trump couldn't overrule if he tried.

How the buck was all 400k Trump's fault? That number wound have been the same or very close had Biden been in charge earlier.

I've yet to hear any sensible explanation of what Biden would/could have done much differently.

Not to mention the fact that the bulk of the impact of the virus was managed at State level. As much as Trump liked to claim credit when things went well, and deny all when it didn't, his only role was making ventilators and PPE available.

All other decisions (lockdowns etc) were made at State level and Trump couldn't overrule if he tried.

No way..

Trump might as well have shot them all in the face..

No way..

Trump might as well have shot them all in the face..

Well to be fair - he himself was one of 400K ...

It will be interesting to see how numbers change with the new administration.

Apparently Biden is taking no chances and is double masking. Maybe he is showing his Irish roots so as to be sure to be sure... ;)

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/10/16/USAT/4c2e84fc-eadb-42ce-b253-32800b6ebef6-Biden_double_mask.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

An uncomfortable truth is that the US is doing better on covid than countries like UK and Belgium yet even though we are closer to both of them we hear more about the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Trump tweeted support for anti lockdown protesters, what kind of leadership is that? He deliberately played down the dangers of the virus early on, holding mass rallies indoors etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Trump tweeted support for anti lockdown protesters, what kind of leadership is that? He deliberately played down the dangers of the virus early on, holding mass rallies indoors etc.

The Democrats supported BLM rioting looting arson and murder all last summer. There wasn't much concern for the dangers of the virus among them was there?

The Democrats supported BLM rioting looting arson and murder all last summer. There wasn't much concern for the dangers of the virus among them was there?

Can you provide a link to back up your claim that "the Democrats" supported routing arson and murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Can't take him seriously.I've tried to watch his stuff on youtube where he starts off big "Libs hate America,Biden will destroy America etc"but i usually just roll my eyes and switch off when he starts hocking waffle irons and wart removal cream or whatever.
    Just another mouthpiece on the grift.
    However i would have loved to have seen him go head to head with Christopher Hitchins in a debate over religion.

Can't take him seriously.I've tried to watch his stuff on youtube where he starts off big "Libs hate America,Biden will destroy America etc"but i usually just roll my eyes and switch off when he starts hocking waffle irons and wart removal cream or whatever.
    However i would have loved to have seen him go head to head with Christopher Hitchins in a debate over religion.
    Hitch would have destroyed him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Can you provide a link to back up your claim that "the Democrats" supported routing arson and murder?

https://youtu.be/jw72Iiy6wqU

Have you been living under rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Hitch would have destroyed him.

Absolutely

Absolutely

Well at present I'd probably bet on Shapiro winning purely because Christopher Hitchins is dead ...

Possibly why Sharpiro seems to be a bit more popular these days :pac:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F04bdrz,%2Fm%2F01hb6v&hl=en-US&tz=420

That said they are chalk and cheese.

And for example - Christopher Hitchins described himself as a Marxist with Marxs being an important influence on his early political views. On the other hand Shapiro is on record as stating- that a meeting of himself and Karl Marx "would go very poorly. Number one because he was not fond of the Jews. And number two, he was wrong about pretty much everything" :D

Ben Shapiro is a religiously conservative American commentator whilst Christopher Hitchins was an British antitheist left leaning critic.

Hitchins apparently enjoyed debating issues he believed that were generally on the under represented side of arguments and was often seen as contrarian. Later in life - Hitchins was accused oddly enough of turning to both liberalism and conservatism.

That said. If there had been a debate and allowing for the considerable age difference - It could possibly have been interesting much in the way they represent two completely different species.

Came across this article which gives a bit better of an jnsight into Shapiro's mindset.

https://www.economist.com/open-future/2019/03/28/inside-the-mind-of-ben-shapiro-a-radical-conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Marx was a Jew.

https://youtu.be/jw72Iiy6wqU

Have you been living under rock?

100% and god love you if you but biden in a sat night live skit too!!

Tony EH wrote: »
    Marx was a Jew.

Not quite.

Karl Marx's father (and the children a few years later) converted to Christianity prior to his son's birth. His father also changed his name from Hirschel to Heinrich.

Marx's writings have frequently being questioned as to various apparent anti-Semitic views. In 1844, he published an essay titled "On the Jewish Question." He wrote that the worldly religion of Jews was "huckstering" and that the Jew's god was "money." Marx's view of Jews generally wasn't complimentary.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Marx was a Jew.

Your thinking of Richard Marx , the Jew who was a repeat offender!!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Marx's view of Jews generally wasn't complimentary.

Not an unusual opinion in that era

Hitchens would have had him as an hors d'oeuvre. Shapiro wouldn’t even go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not quite.

Karl Marx's father (and family) converted to Christianity prior to his son's birth. His father also changed his name from Hirschel to Heinrich..

Doesn’t religion, Judaism in particular, go through the mother? I don’t believe she converted until after Marx was born. Still, more of a “technicality”.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not quite.

Karl Marx's father (and the children a few years later) converted to Christianity prior to his son's birth. His father also changed his name from Hirschel to Heinrich.

Marx's writings have frequently being questioned as to various apparent anti-Semitic views. In 1844, he published an essay titled "On the Jewish Question." He wrote that the worldly religion of Jews was "huckstering" and that the Jew's god was "money." Marx's view of Jews generally wasn't complimentary.

Karl Marx was an ethnic Jew. There's noting "not quite" about it. That he viewed all religions sceptically, including Judaism, is another matter.

Advertisement