Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2019 / 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Logan Roy wrote: »
    At least the days are getting much longer and theres a bit of warmth in the sun again, its not all doom and gloom.....

The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long
    Won't be long till the summer comes
    Now that the boys are here again...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Charts seem to be calling for a short cold snap towards the end of next week, 10/11th, carrying on past Paddy's Day.

Seems to be general agreement that temps will drop, but the extent of the drop and the length of it is up in the air.

qBuUFhN.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next weeks possible cold snap doesn't look much different than the ones over the past few weeks, a cold zonal flow which would result in mostly cold rain showers, it's getting to be a bit of a stretch to expect wintry showers on low ground from a westerly towards mid March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another winter without significant frost or snow events. Obviously March is of many weathers but the snowmageddon crowd can put the shovels back in the shed for another 10 months at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Ckit1

Another winter without significant frost or snow events. Obviously March is of many weathers but the snowmageddon crowd can put the shovels back in the shed for another 10 months at least.

We live in Snhope!... March '18

504728.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Weather looks like quietening down considerably compared to the recent and alomost endless Atlantic conveyor belt of continuous LP's and windy weather. A lot less windy weather coming up, less rain in general but there is signs around next weekend of possibly still having slow moving weather fronts to contend with and could still have a pool of cold air over us leading to some wintry precipitation around Fri / early Sat but then signs for later next weekend of HP building over Europe acting as blocking out Atlantic weather and drawing up milder SE'lys early the following week with low to mid teens possible heralding in a burst of spring growth hopefully. Higher pressure upcoming more evident then of late but often on the edge of it so hopefully inversion layers giving rise to stubborn blanket cloud wont be a dominating factor at least not for all of us. Signs of Spring taking hold hopefully. GFS more promising than the ECM and looking a lot milder out into FI then of late . UKMO also has a better position for HP over us next weekend so hopefully they will win out.

hYpDh89.png

zviuPUp.png

rNpSosq.png

PgFK4x7.png

anim_rin9.gif

anim_ftd8.gif

UW144-21_mye8.GIF

gfs-0-144_qxg1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is going to settle down,alright, but its not certain at all if we will get proper spring like conditions to last, or whether we end up with something a bit colder as we go towards the end of the month. Which way will the high go thats the question to be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It’d be just perfect if the weather turned settled and calm just as some real lockdown got announced

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

UKMO showing more influence from Hp than the ECM for the weekend. Initially on the cool side.

qg9EO8E.png?1

oCbl0YJ.png

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/4K66svA.png)

M8VRkp2.png

4K66svA.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We need some good news and to get out of the nut house so let's hope this drops anchor

Looking much better from the ECM. Trending good settled mild weather next week, probably still have cool nights but charts showing possibly getting up to the mid teens. GFS showing a quicker breakdown. If ever there was a time that we need some good weather........here's hoping.

cFXAkjO.gif

pfs68XQ.gif

AK4Wymv.png

8avwiUm.png

Models showing less Hp for next week. Transient ridges and cols, some weather fronts( next Tues looks the wettest day for most) and after a bit milder start of the week looking like being on the cool side after that. Still more settled than what has passed the last couple of months, some rain at times but much less than previous months. Highest totals along Atlantic coastal counties but nothing of note at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

long range going for colder than average, particularly into April with easterly winds, northern blocking and possible hints of retrogression of high pressures to Greenland. What a waste as anything unsettled would mostly be cold rain at this stage. On the plus side we may well end up dryer than it has been over the past half year.

Gonzo wrote: »
    long range going for colder than average, particularly into April with easterly winds, northern blocking and possible hints of retrogression of high pressures to Greenland. What a waste as anything unsettled would mostly be cold rain at this stage. On the plus side we may well end up dryer than it has been over the past half year.

I had a feeling it might go this way after the monster polar vortex eventually weakened. I just hope this pattern change does not prove to be as stubborn as the one we just had, or else there could be a lot of vexed people as we head towards summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would northerly blocking mean dry weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I had a feeling it might go this way after the monster polar vortex eventually weakened. I just hope this pattern change does not prove to be as stubborn as the one we just had, or else there could be a lot of vexed people as we head towards summer

Buddy, have you watched the news? There’s going to be a lot of vexed people as we head towards the summer no matter the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Jesus I'd take the bickering in a snow/wind event thread anyday over what's going on at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dickie10 wrote: »
    would northerly blocking mean dry weather?

Depends on where the blocking sits exactly. If it's over top of Greenland and there is a corresponding area of low pressure underneath, which there usually is, it will tend to cross Ireland resulting in cold and wet conditions. This is how our worst summers like 2012 come afoot and even as recent as months like June 2019.

Sometimes though the blocking is not too far north and resides either over Scotland or Scandinavia ushering in an easterly wind. In this scenario, it tends to be dry for extensive periods unless a severe cold airmass comes in from the east and results in lake-effect type snow, particularly in eastern counties. Of course, that's a highly unlikely scenario at this time of year. At times though, fronts from the south or southwest could attack the south and west which happened today and brought cloud to south. Spring is a transitional season and airmasses coming from the east depend on how the continent is faring at the time as well as the exact wind direction like a northeasterly will normally be colder than a direct easterly for example. Easterlies in May will be warmer than easterlies in March.

Northern blocking in winter will tend to mean dry conditions due to it allowing colder airmasses to reach Ireland and cold air holding less moisture. However, northern blocking in summer is usually not a good sign if you want warm and dry conditions. Other seasons like spring and autumn tend to have mixed signals. For the moment, this particular high latitude anticyclone that is being modeled looks of the dry variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The angle of attack is crucial though,I'd expect low pressures to stay south of Ireland more hitting SW GB and southern England
    All depends on how far south jet stream goes
    Stronger the blocking the better as that would mean more southerly routes for low pressures avoiding the high if you follow?

Terrible scenario is a kink in the jet stream that drives fronts up from south
    That's possible too

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Buddy, have you watched the news? There’s going to be a lot of vexed people as we head towards the summer no matter the weather.

Buddy?

I meant on top of everything else it will add to the sense of frustation people will feel if we have a washout summer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

brutal honesty, right now, a few days of seriously cold wet weather might be just what's needed to get a lot of (ignorant) people home and indoors doing what they are supposed to be doing instead of ignoring the serious advice they're being given regarding social separation.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

brutal honesty, right now, a few days of seriously cold wet weather might be just what's needed to get a lot of (ignorant) people home and indoors doing what they are supposed to be doing instead of ignoring the serious advice they're being given regarding social separation.

Yup, I'm of the same thought.

If the GEM were to be believed you might get your wish. It looks cold on the Latest ECM too, but not as extreme. The GFS 12z has a pleasant end to it in fi- 14-15 c across Ireland

Now lads if ye wait long enough ye might get your cold NE'ly and E'ly :pac:

Only thing it's in late March / early April :mad:

GFS quite similar. A few convective showers coming in off the Irish Sea perhaps, giving hail and graupel showers maybe if this set up happened. Very low mid level temperatures but pressure quite high on the charts . Could give rise to some thunderstorm activity maybe. Probably good bright sunshine with sharp frosts at night. Interesting, will see if it holds. Currently looking much cooler than average.

gPpVqB7.gif

anim_rtk2.gif

F7TNlHL.png

Hkgk3YA.png

g8htRjy.png

cVZRRUk.png

7FD6E278-655E-47D7-90C6-F8C79AE2CFB1.png.acc9ef00c782a17d3090b38ff7547390.png

So it looks like the GEM did indeed lead the way with this, with other models now backing it. If this does come to pass, while it might not be what many want to see, one positive could be that it discourages those who go out, but can't be bothered to abide by the safe distancing guidelines, from doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grim stuff - looks like re-run of 2018 but a month later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Grim stuff - looks like re-run of 2018 but a month later!!

What a grim year. Can we delete 2020 from the calendar

January and February floods
    March Non weather related problems

Now Fantasy Island pulling loads of cold over us and no aeroplane pollution to warm it up!

pauldry wrote: »
    What a grim year. Can we delete 2020 from the calendar

January and February floods
    March Non weather related problems

Now Fantasy Island pulling loads of cold over us and no aeroplane pollution to warm it up!

I think just about everyone will want to erase 2020 from memory. This has been the most unpleasant few weeks since I was born in terms of everything and not just the weather. Sadly we are still only in the early stages.

Had 2 summer holidays booked to Spain, 1 end of May and another mid July, I doubt i'll be going on them now. I doubt anyone will be going abroad for the rest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »

Had 2 summer holidays booked to Spain, 1 end of May and another mid July, I doubt i'll be going on them now. I doubt anyone will be going abroad for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't despair
    Let's see how this plans out and try again for September
    Mid July probably wont be possible
    No one knows
    Contrary to most people, I'd take heart in the unknown because it means you might or you might not
    Regardless there are bigger much bigger issues like looking after our health in the meantime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement