Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

dharma200 wrote: »
    have read through all posts cant seem to find out the length of this cold spell.. anyone got any notion.. thanks

Nobody does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

dharma200 wrote: »
    have read through all posts cant seem to find out the length of this cold spell.. anyone got any notion.. thanks

At least until the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I mean i was on board yesterday but after this and Joanna i am really on board, seat belt on with ticket in hand.

Like with Ophelia im actually excited to see what comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Really nice to see that awful blob of cold ecstacy so close to us right from the start of the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

I got my snow shovel, now it has to happen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

No expert here Mods, doing a great job, but would level 2 be on the heading soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I can feel draughts in a couple of my windows, repaired 1 of them before Xmas but afew more now feeling the chill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Looks amazing but caution is required. Sunday night's forecast is the one to watch IMV.

Prep anyway and enjoy. No harm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

We need a LOL button on here. You lot are gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Guys no mention at all of the west or midlands in the forecast. Shall we be sunbathing?

Yep and dont forget to keep the togs handy

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Its gonna be some craic driving from Dublin to Cavan on Friday for my little sisters wedding. Fair play to the resident gurus on here, we've been following closely since last week! I'd like to think we are just a little more prepared!

My god the GFS has -14 uppers brushing the east coast by 1pm on Monday!

gfs-1-66.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 23,794 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Its gonna be some craic driving from Dublin to Cavan on Friday for my little sisters wedding. Fair play to the resident gurus on here, we've been following closely since last week! I'd like to think we are just a little more prepared!

I'd leave Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,787 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm meant to travel from Wexford to Dublin on Tuesday. Looks like I need to be on site by 8 and leaving Dublin at 5 for the trip home. Maybe I'll get to postpone because I don't fancy traveling in snow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Probably end up with nothing. Well going by my neighbour's talk that is! They are not on Boards, and accept everything ME say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

This was the best snow I got so far this year, down on the south east coast, i am beyond exited to get more, a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Joanna winked at the end! She knows, she knows....

Tonights 'wink'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is the forecast that I would derive from the current model suite, take this more as a map interpretation than an actual forecast update from me (so not to be cross-posted in forecast thread, if this looks to be on track by morning I may have wording like this in the morning update):

UPDATE __ Friday 23 Feb 2018 __ 9:30 p.m.

Latest guidance continues to emphasize potential for heavy snowfall as well as record cold temperatures for this time of year. The full measure of cold arrives in the east on Monday afternoon and quickly overspreads the country, so temperatures will be falling sharply on Monday night to reach about -7 C inland, -3 C east coast by Tuesday morning. Scattered outbreaks of light snow at first will turn to streamers of heavy snow impacting mostly central Leinster on Tuesday with 5-10 cm potential. Temperatures will struggle to reach 1 or 2 C near the east coast and -1 or zero inland on Tuesday. Tuesday night may be even colder with some lows approaching -10 C in the north and west, -5 C east and south. Heavier snow will develop over larger areas by Wednesday and will continue at least intermittently through Thursday, Friday and Saturday as winds back into the northeast and become quite strong at times (50-80 km/hr). Each day has the potential for 10-20 cm snowfalls in some parts of Leinster and Munster as well as east Ulster, more like 5-10 cm for most of Connacht and Donegal. A few places could have much less snow near the west coast but this is not a certainty. Temperatures during this snowy episode will tend to remain in a narrow range of -1 to -4 C during the snow but if there are clear intervals at night could fall to -10 C or lower. The net effect of the intermittent outbreaks of snow will probably be a peak cover of about 20 to 40 cm over some parts of the inland southeast and Dublin-Meath, and 30 to 50 cm over parts of the east-facing slopes in south Dublin and Wicklow. Combined with the winds and blowing snow, there could be blizzard conditions especially in open areas of central Leinster.

This post needs to be framed.

If it verifies, God-like adoration will be required. Kermit's post in an adjacent frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

wingnut32 wrote: »

This is what makes Boards.ie and to some extent social media brilliant. The ability to bring informed essential information to large numbers regarding what may be life threatening conditions.

Making people aware on these threads (previous weather events) has more than likely saved lives and damage to property so to those experts and all who contribute thank you..my trampoline and fence panels thank you too 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I wanna get excited but after the last disappointment I'm expecting lashing rain going to work next week - I pray I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

gozunda wrote: »
    Tonights 'wink'

She is class...!

fritzelly wrote: »
    I wanna get excited but after the last disappointment I'm expecting lashing rain going to work next week - I pray I'm wrong

I think we can comfortably say it definitely won't be rain next week if there is precipitation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The only thing holding me back is the time of year. This looks set to be ...I can only go by current data.... the most severe episode in 50 years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I have turned my bed around so I can lamp post watch in comfort this time :D

This forum is brilliant , I normally just lurk , but the excitement is contagious.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Just out of interest if this was the direction our weather came from all the time.

Anyone know what kind of summers they get in the Arctic and Siberia?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement