Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A taste of Spring/Summer next week?

• 18-02-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

It will turn increasingly mild next week and some charts appearing look very tasty for some Spring weather.

Temperatures could reach 16c in a few spots if all things combine.

Latest GFS paints a very mild day for next Thursday.

Problem will be whether we can get rid of the drizzle and murkiness around the north of the High Pressure system.

Rtavn1261.png

Rtavn12617.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Thanks Weathercheck but if we don't get a good spell of sunshine it may as well be the same as what we've been having(with today's cold being the exception) just warmer which a this stage is mind numbingly boring,so here's hoping the clouds part & we get some nice sunshine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It'll be classic Foehn territory so watch for spots to the lee of high ground as they could gain a degree or so extra through this effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I would not say it's the end of winter by any means but it's the end of the core of winter if you like. The next 7 - 10 days are looking exceptionally mild and mostly dreary.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm not that interested In spring or summer treads,it's winter that does it for most on here and it just didn't happy,I only really log on here from about nov-feb to look at winter treads and Id say I'm not alone on that ether,I'm sure that winter is the busiest time on boards weather but maybe I'm wrong.
    I waited out for a really cold/snowy winter but next year I'll be definatly going on a ski holiday to get proper weather for winter!
    We need to just get on with it now and by the end of this month I'll be getting back to normality with a more than likely dull wet next 8-9 months :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

darkman2 wrote: »
    I would not say it's the end of winter by any means

Tomorrow essentially marks the end of climatological winter. We may get an incursion of cold in Spring.

But I hope the Spring is as pleasant as the winter was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I'm not that interested In spring or summer treads,it's winter that does it for most on here and it just didn't happy,I only really log on here from about nov-feb to look at winter treads and Id say I'm not alone on that ether,I'm sure that winter is the busiest time on boards weather but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think you are. But there is more to weather than cold and snow. In spring and summer, we have the prospect of big mamma showers and thunderstorms. In autumn, the increased chance of big wind and rain storms to look forward too. They don't always happen but as weather events, they are every bit as exciting to watch out for and experience than snow.

Roll on a hot, dark and thundery summer 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We can but hope - its been too long since we've had a "proper" summer with all those classic elements thrown in. Stuff like Spanish Plumes appear to have gone extinct in this country:rolleyes:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    We can but hope - its been too long since we've had a "proper" summer with all those classic elements thrown in. Stuff like Spanish Plumes appear to have gone extinct in this country:rolleyes:

With you on that Birdnuts. After a run of rotten summers, we can only hope for something a bit more dramatic this time around. Notwithstanding the lack of any proper heat, I have never experienced the almost total lack of thunderstorms during the summer period than I have in the last 2 or 3. Anything we did get was just weak mP sourced crap. Even in a normal summer you would would expect a good few decent storms. Almost forget what a Spanish Plume looks and feels like. But there is nothing like the thick purplegray haze that blots out any view of an approaching summer storm. Very eerie but always electrifying.

Something to get us in the mood for Summer 2012. A good storm, but I have seen better here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

How right you are birdnuts:mad:...It was a summer event like that back in july 85 that kindled my love for the weather extreme and if i'm honest i'd take a good old fire works display over snow any day:eek:...So roll on the prospect of a growling cumulonimbus on a hot summers day:)...Great vid Deep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

With you on that Birdnuts. After a run of rotten summers, we can only hope for something a bit more dramatic this time around. Notwithstanding the lack of any proper heat, I have never experienced the almost total lack of thunderstorms during the summer period than I have in the last 2 or 3. Anything we did get was just weak mP sourced crap. Even in a normal summer you would would expect a good few decent storms. Almost forget what a Spanish Plume looks and feels like. But there is nothing like the thick purplegray haze that blots out any view of an approaching summer storm. Very eerie but always electrifying.

Something to get us in the mood for Summer 2012. A good storm, but I have seen better here:

yes please,il order one of those now & a couple of stronger ones later,thank you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

unless we get continuous weeks of rain the warm weeks will turn cold.

we need southwesterlies and high to stay over europe and whilst that looks like happening if it moves in any shape or form we will get temperatures of 11 or 12c and not 15 or 16c

also if the high moves west it could be colder still and if it moves east the west will be the only place with mild weather.

btw it is going to be the mildest winter since 1989 in most spots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pauldry wrote: »

btw it is going to be the mildest winter since 1989 in most spots
    not really surprised to be honest. I was expecting it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76020663

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I wonder if we could see a few records fall?
    Looking through the stations maximum temperature records here, it seems to me like a few could be beaten.
    Cork Airport's February max is just 14.0C, Claremorris is just 13.8C, Mullingar is at 15.4C and Casement is at 15.9C.

Here's what the latest GFS shows for Thursday afternoon, widespread 15C and 16C
    ukmaxtemp.png

Sea surface temperatures to the southwest are above average and as Su Campu mentioned, conditions are ideal for some foehn winds.
    Will be interesting to see how high temps can get on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I might root out the bbq for next week:),does not look like i be making any snowmen...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

My WXSIM forecast programme is going for temps of 16° on Thursday in Kildare.

Thursday

Partly cloudy in the morning, becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Breezy and mild. High 16°C. UV index up to 2. Wind west-southwest around 15 kph, gusting to 29 kph, in the morning, becoming 20 kph, gusting to 34 kph, in the afternoon.

It uses the GFS and my local conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    I wonder if we could see a few records fall?
    Looking through the stations maximum temperature records here, it seems to me like a few could be beaten.
    Cork Airport's February max is just 14.0C, Claremorris is just 13.8C, Mullingar is at 15.4C and Casement is at 15.9C.

Here's what the latest GFS shows for Thursday afternoon, widespread 15C and 16C
    ukmaxtemp.png

Sea surface temperatures to the southwest are above average and as Su Campu mentioned, conditions are ideal for some foehn winds.
    Will be interesting to see how high temps can get on Thursday.

Will it be bright and sunny or the usually mild, dull with misty rain?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it would be great to see a few well sheltered areas hit 17C if conditions are sunny & calm, and if it does it will put many days of last summer to shame. Would be nice to be able to sit out in a tshirt drinking a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Lucreto wrote: »
    Will it be bright and sunny or the usually mild, dull with misty rain?

According to Met Eireann
    THURSDAY: Most areas will be dry with some bright or sunny spells, mainly breaking through over south Leinster and southeast Munster. However it will be rather dull in parts of the north and west, with perhaps a little drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

irishweatheronline is back up and runing with there web page...

GEM/GLB rainfall accumulation forecast for the next 5 days or so:

raaccfor.gif

The set up for the coming week will be a typical one for orographic rainfall to occur on hills exposed to the southwesterly flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

If tonights ECM verifies we could be looking at something even milder then 89' - it really is astonishing at this stage and makes me wonder are we using up all the good stuff before summer proper:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If tonights ECM verifies we could be looking at something even milder then 89' - it really is astonishing at this stage and makes me wonder are we using up all the good stuff before summer proper:confused:

I don't know if the later part of the ECM would necessarily be very mild. Could be frosty nights too, but could easily swing back. Amazingly poor charts for coldies.

We could get 17c on Thursday:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The set up for the coming week will be a typical one for orographic rainfall to occur on hills exposed to the southwesterly flow.

Looks like another very dry week for dessicated Sandyford! :D

Whatever about the temps I won't complain about that - but we do need some more sunshine.

IMG_0531-1.jpg

A taste of Spring already!

I know there were daffodils in Stephens Green in mid-January - but this is about the earliest I've seen them here.

(ps - they didn't come till April last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

here in sligo we had dafodils in our garden blooming on feb 18th last year. this year they have not bloomed yet due to lack of sun.

Id say that 17c wont be reached this week. I think 14 in some places and maybe the odd 15.

pauldry wrote: »

Id say that 17c wont be reached this week. I think 14 in some places and maybe the odd 15.

I'd say if any station reaches 17c this week it would be Mothman's in Ashford. Perfect location for the adiabatic warming effect under these warm sector conditions.

I'd say if any station reaches 17c this week it would be Mothman's in Ashford. Perfect location for the adiabatic warming effect under these warm sector conditions.

Yep. Adiabatically speaking, Ashford seems to have a one degree (plus) advantage over Sandyford - must be an elevation thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The GFS 18z pub run puts a stop to spring:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tomorrow essentially marks the end of climatological winter. We may get an incursion of cold in Spring.

But I hope the Spring is as pleasant as the winter was.

Don't you mean 20th March?

The winter months are generally Dec, Jan and Feb. I've never heard of winter stopping on 20 Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I don't think you are. But there is more to weather than cold and snow. In spring and summer, we have the prospect of big mamma showers and thunderstorms. In autumn, the increased chance of big wind and rain storms to look forward too. They don't always happen but as weather events, they are every bit as exciting to watch out for and experience than snow.

I rest my case,look at the amount of interest in spring now :) zilch , and not a post in over too days, weather junkys on here as snow junkys only ;)

Advertisement