Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Further Cold Spell In February? 0-180 Charts Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Morning all

00z's a certain upgrade not only because the Northerly is maintained but also we could see a link between Atlantic high and Siberian high which would mean a Northeasterly or Easterly following the Northerly. It's a long shot but possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

darkman2 wrote: »
    Morning all

00z's a certain upgrade not only because the Northerly is maintained but also we could see a link between Atlantic high and Siberian high which would mean a Northeasterly or Easterly following the Northerly. It's a long shot but possible.
    Nice.

The ecm is a spoiler though.
    Slack northerly and north westerly with the high pressure too near and Berlin airport shut as the low pressure is too far east again barreling in there eventually.

Our flow on that would be a boring 5 to 8 c affair.
    Gem is the same.
    So you've got to bet on in-between nothingness being the more likely outcome here again with winter hanging on relentlessly in south east England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Once again the Operational and Control runs on the GFS are big cold outliers, probably almost 100% certain to be downgraded soon, this scenario is getting to be a regular occurance.

MS_-753_ens.png

Again there is strong agreement between the ECMWF Operational run and its ensemble means this morning, if I was a betting man I know were my money would be going.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A lot of needless negativity here.

What do we have on the face of it this morning.

A consistent UKM showing a decent northerly blast.

A Very good GFS upgrading run to run.

An ECM which has improved from 0z and 12z from yesterday, not there yet but not far away.

So all in all decent model output.

What is not likely is a 7 day blast.

What is possible is a 3 day cold shot, bringing the most noteworthy spell of cold weather of the winter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

An ECM which has improved from 0z and 12z from yesterday, not there yet but not far away.

What is possible is a 3 day cold shot, bringing the most noteworthy spell of cold weather of the winter ;)

Well said !! Will be interesting to see the output of the 12z runs today, lets keep it going ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

I agree. One of the big problems that the last few winters has brought is that people are now looking for repeats of the long sustained cold spells with epic snow, and anything less is considered a disappointment and not worth getting excited about. We have to be more realistic. I will be more than happy with any lying snow at this stage, even if it is only a brief 24 event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Morning all

You beat me to it!
    I've been watching that Russian high over the last few days and it may have retreated but its still there. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it built westwards before the month is out. Large anticyclones have a habit of rebuilding (but not always) For example when an intense Azores high (1040mb) built early in the Winter I knew it would weaken occasionally but keep coming back which it did to ruin the winter! Lets hope the Russian high rebuilds and hp in the Atlantic is positioned further north this time.
    Not asking for much am I? :rolleyes:
    +144 ....... not impossible?
    Rtavn1441.png

I won't.
    A week of snow or none thanks.
    We've been here before this winter.
    The Northerly looks likely but with us on the edge of it in a slack flow, a day or 2 being northwesterly with pressure surpressing showers and confining them to the far north and similar to December weakly wintry.

If that's our lot,its a sad outlook for us that like winter snow.I could be wrong but it's the form horse - no point in me expecting otherwise.
    This kind of outlook doesn't inspire me to post so I will leave you to it unless there's a dramatic change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

If anyone can be bothered look up Feb 1969 in the archives - a northerly on the 8th quickly became a toppler by the 10th. The rest of the month was E/NE and very snowy, not as good as '47 but similar to Feb 63.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

nilhg wrote: »
    Once again the Operational and Control runs on the GFS are big cold outliers, probably almost 100% certain to be downgraded soon, this scenario is getting to be a regular occurance.

Again there is strong agreement between the ECMWF Operational run and its ensemble means this morning, if I was a betting man I know were my money would be going.....

Well called Nilhg. GFS 06z run a huge downgrade on the 0z. Your cold outlier call was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Well called Nilhg. GFS 06z run a huge downgrade on the 0z. Your cold outlier call was correct.
    so is this where we expect to see downgrades from the 12z?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

delw wrote: »

We didn't have to wait for the 12z we got them on the 06z

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

delw wrote: »

We didn't have to wait for the 12z we got them on the 06z

Im pretty pesimistic on this possible cold spell but from watching charts recently the 6z GFS has been much less reliable than the 0z and the 12z.....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Im pretty pesimistic on this possible cold spell but from watching charts recently the 6z GFS has been much less reliable than the 0z and the 12z.....

Exactly, while the latest GFS is very disappointing and may well be what we end up getting, people are also way too quick on here to jump on a downgrade on one run and immediately proclaim that winter is over, etc.

Anything can still happen at this stage, the next GFS may be a further downgrade, it may be an upgrade, either way the event in question is too far out for either version to be definitively declared as correct yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

If anyone can be bothered look up Feb 1969 in the archives - a northerly on the 8th quickly became a toppler by the 10th. The rest of the month was E/NE and very snowy, not as good as '47 but similar to Feb 63.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html

It reached -17.1c at Claremorris on the 17th of that month, -10.5c at Birr and even -7.3c at Valentia under a ridge of high pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

12z GFS no good. High too far east.

198r46.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Had a quick run through the latest runs and they're pretty much backing up what the ECMWF and GEM were showing yesterday with high pressure dominant for another week, hopefully a mostly dry week once the current stalled front final dissipates. As I said last night the northerly is well to the east out in the North Sea, still can't see anything interesting coming of it

UKMO not great either but is best of a bad bunch at +120hr

30kwrbq.gif

Hi all,

Happy with the model output this evening. The important thing is to be on the cold side of the block as the UKMO shows. GFS progressive as usual but is an improvement on the 6z. ECM 00z and improvement on yesterdays 00z.

The UKMO is very interesting not just because it is cold but also because it's filled with even colder possibilities down the line.

Note the high pressure to the North and the Siberian high pressure to the East. The trough is digging down into the continent.

The high pressure to the north is a standalone high (note the "h") that's going to link with the Siberian high creating a northeasterly flow over the top of the trough down into the North sea and into the UK.

You have fronts approaching from the Northwest aswell which has not only the prospect of a "battle" between cold air to the east and milder air to the west (which could lead to frontal snow over Ireland) but also a possible undercut of the high pressure building to the Northeast as the High pressure to the southwest declines and it's influence finally diminishes.

Rukm1441.gif

The important thing is be on the cold side of the block. As long as we are on the cold side of the block chances of snow are actually very good. And if there is the possibility that high pressure to the Northeast will build towards us then it could only be the beginning of a longer period of cold weather with cold days and icy nights and a risk of snow.

So there is plenty of things to watch for the next few days.:) But that's a very good UKMO run. Huge potential for coldies in there:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well the 18z is not great from a cold lovers point of view , granted its the 18z but still not a solid day for the cold charts

gens-0-1-96_zni8.png

Sinks away

gens-0-1-144_xtg5.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I still see things playing out as described the other day, with cold troughing taking over from the Scandi high. There seem to be slight differences in the exact movement of our local high over the weekend in response to variations in the handling of the low pressure system that's currently near New Foundland and which will skip along the top of the high and down the North Sea early next week. In any case it looks increasingly likely that we will be a couple of hundred miles too far west.....again, and central, eastern and southern Europe will see another (less harsh) blast.

In the longer term the high should sink southwards and allow a more cool zonal setup to take hold, keeping the NAO slightly positive. We could see some more cold northwesterlies at times, but with the PV probably going to enter into a slight recovery phase there's nothing to suggest a return of easterlies for much of the rest of the month.

Aye well yeh see it's been an exceptionally difficult period to forecast for. The fact is that we have been remarkably unlucky (or lucky depending on your preference) and could well have ended up in the type of cold scenario the continentals are getting use to. The difference is no more then a couple of 100 miles either way and when your trying to determine a synoptic outlook like that for 5 or 6 days away it's extremely difficult. I do not and never have engaged in "hopecasting" of any form. My interpretation of where we are now in that a big pattern change is about to occur with high pressure positioned to the West or Northwest within the 5 - 7 days period and troughs digging south toward Ireland either bringing cold Northerlies or Northwesterlies. However that's not the only scenario as I have outlined already and it would be foolish at best to claim it is.

In terms of the models for the next few days the UKMO is the coldest output. The GFS has moved away slightly from that back towards the ECM outlook from Wednesday.

If the current retrogression attempt does not work out then there will be another one a couple of days later so it's not the end of the world if artic conditions don't arrive next week. It's only a delay.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

some nice charts192230.png192229.png

If at first you don't succeed try again is the theme across the models from this morning. Increasing confidence of another Northerly attempt around the 18th as high pressure moves west later next week.

Before that high pressure looks like becoming anchored just to the west giving a cool northwesterly airflow with good sunshine at times but also damp cloudy periods aswell. Temperatures around average, slightly below.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There has just been a continued lack of height rises over Greenland this winter. The models have flirted with the idea in the last few weeks but still nothing doing.

Appears a mild northwesterly followed by an increasing chance of a return to cool zonality.

If at first you don't succeed try again is the theme across the models from this morning.

I'm beginning to feel it has been the theme of winter as a whole. We've had numerous occasions now with cold on the horizon only for it to never materialize. My confidence is waining somewhat for the first time this winter.

GFS consistent that a breakthrough to colder weather from the Northwest or North is finally on the cards (168hrs)

Rtavn1681.png

Let's see if other models follow to back it up.

UKMO going to same way

UW144-21.GIF?10-17

Meanwhile...
    Back in this world..

The ecm ends europes freeze

ECH0-168.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Just reading some posts from the NOAA and according to them the ECM 12Z run after 168 hours can head for the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That chart shows nicely what I think will happen, with the polar vortex gathering itself a bit again after going off on the tear a bit over the last few weeks. A general zonal setup looks likely, with the Azores high returning home and the Atlantic jet very near us. This will keep things fairly seasonal, but we could see a return to some deep Atlantic storms as the NAO goes positive. These could pull down some brief cold polar northwesterlies or northerlies in their wake which could give some wintriness, but overall I think the Atlantic is waking up and we could see a conveyor belt of depression after depression for the last week of the month.

Advertisement