Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

No it wouldn't be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Links234 wrote: »
    is it too geeky of me to want to get this? :D

That is so awesome...

I have sewing patterns for star trek uniforms at home. I feel geeky. . . and wish I could sew.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

cb84_port_80_football_jersey_front2.jpg

I want one of those. I doubt the geek reference would be obvioust to many. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CoinOperated

Hello!
    Looong time lurker here, thought I'd finally pipe up and say hi. Loving the geeky/nerdy twist this thread has taken, good job!
    (*Another scienceling posting from the lab* :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Oh noes I have a dilemma!

What do you do when all you're friends are straight, you're not out and they want you to go to wez where they will hound you all night to kiss boys I don't like? I hate staying home all the time!

• Advertisement

Does your friends not know your a lesbian crayola?

Nope. They just think I'm exceptionally picky and too concerned with my studies for boys. The only flaw in my master plan is the wez thing and I talk about Christina Hendricks and the librarian with the hot accent too much. :P

Oh Christina Hendricks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tell them you don't like the type of guys who goto wez because they basically expect sex straightaway and expect girls to dress suggestively. You don't like being treated as an object - that you will go because they are your friends but you have been reading a lot about feminism lately and really do not like the expectations that the lads in Wez place on girls

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Yeah they definitely won't think you're a lesbian if you mention feminism! :P

Just say the wez is gross. Even as a teen that's what I thought and then I made friends with other teens who felt the same and thankfully managed to avoid it as best I can. This is a useful skill to have when you're an adult and you want to avoid Coppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eebs wrote: »
    Yeah they definitely won't think you're a lesbian if you mention feminism! :P

Just say the wez is gross. Even as a teen that's what I thought and then I made friends with other teens who felt the same and thankfully managed to avoid it as best I can. This is a useful skill to have when you're an adult and you want to avoid Coppers.

Not all feminists are lesbians and not all lesbians are feminists (or mysandrists) :P

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Crisis averted! We're not going anymore anyway. Nobody wanted to go but the other place was too expensive so I think we're doing something else! :D Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep it in mind for next time :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What is wez?

You should find a gay crew either here or on one of the other gay websites around. It's not as creepy as I made it sound there..... That way you could go out with your friends, but then sometimes have a big gay night. Lots of people do it.

dory wrote: »
    What is wez?

You should find a gay crew either here or on one of the other gay websites around. It's not as creepy as I made it sound there..... That way you could go out with your friends, but then sometimes have a big gay night. Lots of people do it.

Wez is a sweaty, under 18s disco in Wesley Rugby Club where you turn up pissed and make out with every member of the opposite sex you can see. If you are female, you may find yourself the joys of the grinding boy sandwich, where two boys trap you between them and grind themselves on you. It is rather unpleasant.:(:P

I am barely allowed to go out with my straight friends, big gay crew is on hiatus for the next 2 years until I'm in college :P And basically everyone on here is a good 8 or 9 years older than me or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

And basically everyone on here is a good 8 or 9 years older than me or so.

I'm 28 and have a few friends who I hang with regularly who are 18-22. Age isn't really an issue with like-minded friends.

electrobi wrote: »
    I'm 28 and have a few friends who I hang with regularly who are 18-22. Age isn't really an issue with like-minded friends.

Its an issue with crazy parents who interrogate me when I'm going out to hang out with my fellow 5th years during the day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

Its an issue with crazy parents who interrogate me when I'm going out to hang out with my fellow 5th years during the day :P

Aw you're only in 5th year! Sorry I wasn't paying attention. You seem so much older(in a good way) Well most parent's SHOULD be careful of who their children hang out with until they are 18 so it's not so bad. You'll make plenty of friends and meet people of all sorts at college.

As for the Wez thing (and someone else mentioned Coppers) that's just a matter of TASTE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Wez is a sweaty, under 18s disco in Wesley Rugby Club where you turn up pissed and make out with every member of the opposite sex you can see. If you are female, you may find yourself the joys of the grinding boy sandwich, where two boys trap you between them and grind themselves on you. It is rather unpleasant.:(:P

I am barely allowed to go out with my straight friends, big gay crew is on hiatus for the next 2 years until I'm in college :P And basically everyone on here is a good 8 or 9 years older than me or so.

Oooh whoops, didn't realise that. There are gay sports teams and stuff if you want some good clean fun. The Running Amach group have all sorts of things. Or Belong2 have youth groups.

That wez sounds nasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

yup, definitely sports thing the way to go. I had the opposite problem with people being a bit younger than me and really just wanted to find people I had more in common with, also being a lot older and it all being new to me meeting people who were understanding was difficult but joined up with a team and swear its the best thing I ever did, everyone's my age, they're a really nice bunch of people and I get to keep fit too :)

Yeah I'm in a sports club which I actually love (and I usually hate all sports so thats saying something :P) But its just a regular club, no-one knows I'm gay there and I really don't intend on telling them because I think if I were them I'd kick me out of the changing rooms and I don't want to ruin it:P

The gay friends thing is less out of the question because I don't know any gay people, but that I'm not really allowed to go meet any gay people and my 2 gay friends kind of abandoned me after they went all super camp and I was still sitting there pretending to be straight.

Back to being on off-topic, is anyone watching the Apprentice? Everyone is all like omg x-factor and I'm here omg his presentation was horrendous :P

• Advertisement

Haha. I can't stand reality tv. If I had to choose, the apprentice would win hands down. I'm more of a documentary and mythbusters fan. Anything that involves building machines or blowing shít up really gets me going. Not your typical woman here :P

I like those shows where they build cool cakes or giant toasters or showers, does that count!? :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Haha. I can't stand reality tv. If I had to choose, the apprentice would win hands down. I'm more of a documentary and mythbusters fan. Anything that involves building machines or blowing shít up really gets me going. Not your typical woman here :P

Sounds like me :pac:

Also, I'd very happily spend lots of time watching sports :D

Oh god, my parents just started watching the food network recently and half the stuff they do is cool. I love 'chopped', but it's on late at night, it's only downside.

Like 2 peas in a pod. Im such a super nerd for computers and engineering. Started building computers at 7, I was a strange little child, haha.

Like 2 peas in a pod. Im such a super nerd for computers and engineering. Started building computers at 7, I was a strange little child, haha.

It's actually funny how much of this thread is made up of nerdy stuff :D

Haha, yeah! Best costumes for a halloween night out would be a few people wearing these matching costumes or similar. I'd be up for it if I could find one in time.

Star-Trek-Voyager-Red-Command-Uniform-Costume-1.jpg

Did anyone else get that magazine where you build a robot that moves around. That thing was amazing. I was so good at knex too when I was small. And that show where they battled robots against eachother.

Thinking back, I really liked robots!

EDIT: I made this guy! It was in a magazine and you got the parts every week, called Cybot
    SSE-CYBOT.JPG

Did anyone else get that magazine where you build a robot that moves around. That thing was amazing. I was so good at knex too when I was small. And that show where they battled robots against eachother.

Thinking back, I really liked robots!

I used to love Robot Wars when I was younger. So much fun :D

• Advertisement

Another epic tv series with craig charles. He's pretty much gone from red dwarf to coronation street. God what happened there? :P

Advertisement